what is the difference between dual and single modes on VIP 722

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Minnesota
I feel silly asking this cause I have had a dual tuner receiver from dish for many years but what is the difference between dual and single modes.

I only watch my primary TV and I want to be able to understand the difference so I can get the full benefit of my receiver..

A button push on your receiver will show you the difference.

Single mode -dual tuner mode with PIP features for one tv.
Dual mode- watch something different than tv 1 at the same time on tv 2.

The only benefit to Dual mode is being able to watch a different program on TV2. If you don't use TV2, there is no benefit to Dual mode. Once using Dual mode, there are several ways to make that experience better, but if you don't have TV2 hooked up, there's just no point. If you do have TV2 hooked up, you lose Picture-in-Picture, Swap, and Multi-Buffer functionality on TV1.

When you are watching something on tv1 and active the pip for tv2, you can switch to the other tuner and use the dvr functions to view what was on while you were viewing the first tuner. How far back you can go depends on how much your receiver can buffer or when you first activated the pip.

Try this:

Tune to a channel, like USA. Hit Pause. Hit the Swap key.
Tune to another channel, like TNT. Hit Pause. Hit swap again.

I recently used this feature in a 2AM bout of insomnia, swapping between Spike and some other channel that was also running one of those "scary police car chase" shows. When one channel went to commercial, I paused, swapped tuners, and caught up on the other channel's footage. If you're watching two live basketball games, this comes in really handy.

Try this:

Tune to a channel, like USA. Hit Pause. Hit the Swap key.
Tune to another channel, like TNT. Hit Pause. Hit swap again.

I recently used this feature in a 2AM bout of insomnia, swapping between Spike and some other channel that was also running one of those "scary police car chase" shows. When one channel went to commercial, I paused, swapped tuners, and caught up on the other channel's footage. If you're watching two live basketball games, this comes in really handy.

My insomnia thanks you for the suggestion.

When you are watching something on tv1 and active the pip for tv2, you can switch to the other tuner and use the dvr functions to view what was on while you were viewing the first tuner. How far back you can go depends on how much your receiver can buffer or when you first activated the pip.

The winner of this contest(longest live buffers):

1. Dish 625 DVR-2-120 minute live buffers.

2.DirecTV HR2x HDDVR-2-90 minute live buffers.

3.Dish ViPs HDDVR-2-60-minute live buffers.

If you do have TV2 hooked up, you lose Picture-in-Picture, Swap, and Multi-Buffer functionality on TV1.

You can use PIP in Dual mode (if your TV has PIP) and have buffers too. My TV does swap with PIP.

I have a TV in the bedroom hooked up to TV2 and the output to TV2 is also hooked up to the TV in the livingroom. Since TV2 is not HD it's not going to matter how it's hooked up.

Use the TV's remote for PIP.

You'll have to have the TV2 remote too but it works just the same.

Ok, it's not as easy as using just the Dish remote but it will work.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts