What is the difference between UHF and UHF pro?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
What is the difference between UHF and UHF pro?

I have an 811 and the remote is UHF Pro. It’s set up in the living room but I have a cable running to the bedroom. The UHF remote that I have as a spare doesn’t work that far away but the UHF Pro does.

It isn’t very far…maybe 35-40 feet. I am going through 2 walls. What is weird is if I put my 5000 in the same area of the living room, both remotes will work it from the bedroom.

And yes I put brand new batteries in the UHF remote :D

'Berg - I have one of each. The "non-pro" went belly-up as you know. In my case the non-pro unit came with my 811 (UHF version 5.2 or something like that) and the "UHF Pro" version 8.0 came with the 622. As part of my experiments to resolve the problem I had both side-by-side. There are subtle differences in the controls but they are essentially the same. The Pro 8.0 unit seems a bit heftier (thicker too, I think). I wonder if that means it has some more "meat" to it, like a more powerful UHF transmitter? That would make sense considering that the 622's remote is intended to operate from a different room/through walls, etc. whereas the 811's remote is intended to operate in the same room. How that compares to your Pro unit I can't guess. Your 5000 probably has a more sensitive receiver in it hence both will work.

I'll make a closer comparison this weekend to see if there's more I can spot. I'll open-up that dead unit, and if it's easy to do then I might open the good one as well for a real up-close comparison!

Have a good weekend...!

Last edited:
yeah the 8.0 is a hefty bugger :)

Maybe I'll put the UHF Pro in the bedroom and leave the UHF remote in the living room :)

Difference bertwween UHF & UHF Pro
1. They use different UHF frequencies
2. UHF remote xmits both IR & UHF for sat mode at the same time, the Pro is UHF only in sat mode

I agree somewhat! I am able to use the UHF Pro that came with my 622 to control my 811 as long as I set the addresses to the same number. I remember something about the frequency differences but that doesn't necessarily stop one remote from controlling the other receiver. (My first hint of this came when my new 622 seemed to be going haywire changing channels - found out it was my wife surfing the 811 in the other room, so I changed addresses.)

Agreed on the UHF/IR description...

bhelms said:
I am able to use the UHF Pro that came with my 622 to control my 811 as long as I set the addresses to the same number.
That is because both the 811 remote (8.0) & the 622 remote are both UHF Pro remotes.

IR vs UHF

I have a 622 with the IR/UHF remote, I also have a UHF Pro, is there anyway to control tuner one through UHF so I can use the UHF Pro on another TV.

jpesc said:
I have a 622 with the IR/UHF remote, I also have a UHF Pro, is there anyway to control tuner one through UHF so I can use the UHF Pro on another TV.

It sounds like you have the 622 in the living room with TV1 Output connected to the TV, then the kids watch TV2 Output in another room, and when you go to bed, you would like to control the TV1 Output from your bedroom.

I would like to do the same. I've read all of the data on the 622, web sites, owners manuals, and sales propaganda. On one of those it implies that you can control TV1 using UHF from the Aux button on Blue Remote 2, but then I could not find any more info and how to do it.

If anyone else is reading this and has more info - please pass it on.

Now if the 622 is in Single Mode, the Blue Remote 2 will (suppose to) control both TV1 and TV2 Output, but then that defeats the purpose of 2 remote rooms watching different programs.

So the only way that I can think of is to buy a "IR-to-UHF Pro Upgrade Kit" which will allow you to control your 622 TV1 Output using a UHF Pro remote. The info is on the bottom of the page at this link: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/userguides_manuals/index.shtml
I think this kit will use the same frequencies as your 622, but I think just changing the address, it can be on the same frequency and will not cause any interference with the Blue TV2 Remote.

Now back to the beginning of the thread.... Here is my understanding of this.

I thought all of the (newer) UHF Pro Remotes had the extra buttons for DVR control, etc..., even if your receiver did not have a DVR. I believe there are currently 2 frequencies being used for the UHF Pro Remotes.

UHF Pro and UHF operate on different frequencies, so they will not work in place of each other.

However, the Blue 2 - UHF Pro Remote that comes with the 622 uses UHF Pro frequencies to communicate with the 622. However, in Aux mode, Remote 2, as well as Remote 1, can be programmed to send a combination IR/UHF signal to control certain other Dish receivers (but not a 622 TV2 Output).
See 622 Users Guide, Chapter 10, bottom of Page 81.

Also, I believe the first UHF remotes that came out, such as the one with my EchoStar 2000 receiver, is different than the later UHF Remotes and/or UHF Pro Remotes.
:)
EDIT: On the 2000, I think there was 3 models, the first 2 only being IR, and the last one being only UHF - but someone on the www has instructions for converting the UHF only model to IR/UHF.

Last edited:
The 6.2 and 6.3 UHF Pro remotes have a four-position "key" - one of which is UHF Pro for TV1 on the 622 and 942.

All dual tuner receivers with two tv outputs have UHF PRO remotes with a 200 foot range. Only the UHF PRO remotes will operate the second tuner's built in UHF PRO commands. Now if you bought the old UHF upgrade kit then you can operate the first or second tuner of these receivers with the old UHF remotes. If you buy the new UHF PRO upgrade kit then you can operate the first or second tuner of these receivers with the new UHF remotes.

I thought I read in a post a little while back where you can change the frequency in the 8.0 remote which would extend the range past 200 feet (something about a switch in the remote which is probably what is referred to as the "four position key" earlier in this thread).

Also if someone is using the splitter/diplexer trick where you put the antenna on the end where you want to change channels, does this work just as good with the legacy UHF remotes such as those that came with the 4900 receivers?

Pepper
Thanks for the info; I read it last night and thought I had seen it before, but printed it out anyway so I could go and try it.

Page 10: Settting Up a TV1 UHF Pro Remote for the Dish Player-DVR 522 and 625 Only

My 622 came with 2 remotes: (1) 5.3 IR with a "Green 1" tab; and (2) 6.3 IR/UHF PRO with a "Blue 2 UHF PRO" tab.

There are 2 problems:
...(1) I would need to remove the "Green 1" tab and replace it with a "Green 1 UHF PRO" tab. I don't have one, but I really don't believe the 622 Remote 1 will do this.
...(2) From the front panel: (a) Press "System Setup" button; (b) Select "Installation" from the menu, and press the "Select" button; then (c) select "TV1 UHF Pro Setup" from the menu. However, this is not available in the "Installation Menu" on the ViP622.

Stargazer
I take it you are confirming that the ViP622 does not have either UHF or UHF PRO remote technology built-in/programmed-in it for use by TV1 Output. So the only option is to use an external kit, and I believe if you want to be able to control all functions, you will need the "IR-to-UHF PRO Upgrade Kit."

Dish Engineers

Can you do a software modification so that TV1 can use/share the built-in UHF PRO remote features available for TV2?

Last edited:
I know that the 522 and 625 receiver's first tuner can accept UHF PRO commands if you use a UHF PRO remote on it if you set it up to do so, so I would think you could do the same with a 622. I am just stating that if the receiver is setup for UHF PRO you can change it to LEGACY UHF with an upgrade kit but that would be pointless as it would be cheaper to just buy a UHF PRO remote for the first tuner or use your tv 2 remote control to operate the first tuner if you are going to have it in single user mode. If you have a receiver that only uses LEGACY UHF then you can get the upgrade kit which gives it extended range and can be operated by the newer remotes.

Smity,

You are correct that the 5.3 "1" remote is IR only. The 6.3 "2" remote that comes with the 622 can be used for UHF PRO on TV1 by inserting the correct key (for some reason, not included). All the key does is push the little switch to one of four positions when you push it in the slot. You can just remove the key and try the different positions, I believe TV1 UHF PRO is the 2nd position from the left.

Since 5.3 is IR only, if you wanted to keep the TV2 remote and have a separate one for TV1 UHF PRO you would need to get another 6.3 or 6.2.

Stargazer said:
I thought I read in a post a little while back where you can change the frequency in the 8.0 remote which would extend the range past 200 feet (something about a switch in the remote which is probably what is referred to as the "four position key" earlier in this thread).

Anyone else know anything about extending the range past the 200ft?

There are three UHF frequencies, the original and two PRO ones. The newer receivers have PRO remotes that have an A-B frequency switch in the battery compartment. Some claim the B setting has more range. Also, the ones with the switch can be programmed to output the original signal with the AUX button. The 811 has the older PRO remote.

Looking at my original TV2 remote, and the extra TV2 remotes I bought, I can pull out the Blue 2 key and flip it over to the other side which is Black and says UHF.

When I flip this Blue 2 UHF PRO remote to the "Black UHF" side, it will operate TV1 when in the same room, but not from any location where it can not see the IR. I suspect this will allow the 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote to operate other Dish satellite receivers from the SAT position either using IR or the old UHF when so equipped.

I am going to check and see if I may have gotten a Green 1 UHF PRO key with the spare remotes; but even if I did, I will still have the problem of programming my 622 for TV1 to use UHF PRO, since my menu does not have a selection for "TV1 UHF Pro Setup", as the other receivers have.

Last edited:
read the user manual for the 6.2 remote. All the information is there.

622 and 942 have a special position of the "key" switch to indicate TV1 UHF PRO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)