What is the difference between UHF and UHF pro?

Do you know anyone who has this set up on a ViP 622?
If so, with what remote - 6.2 or 6.3?

I believe you have a ViP 622, do you have that option in the "Installation Menu"?

Thanks

I called the number on the Tech Forum, although they all thought it could, the final answer was the ViP 622 TV1 can not be enabled to use a UHF PRO remote.

I'll start a new thread on the HD Forum.

Yes i did, flipped the internal switch on my tv2 6.3 remote to one of the two positions you don't get with the plastic tab. (the included black and blue tab sets the switch to the two outer positions, the two inner positions are TV1 UHF PRO and TV1 IR.)

I set the remote to the same address as my IR TV1 remote. Then i went to system info and pushed record. the screen changed to say TV1 IR/UHF PRO and the remote worked for TV1.

I changed it back a few minutes later cause I needed the TV2 remote.

My understanding is the 6.2 remote would behave the same as this is also the same procedure for the 942.

The 6.0 remotes (522/625) only have two positions instead of four so this isn't an option. But those receivers have the menu option.

Last edited:
You know I'll believe you before the 1-800 number!

I was just going to ask you what switch, but I just noticed the small grey middle piece does move side to side.

And then skip the directions about going into the program.

I'll be back.

Pepper, you're the Man!, I mean Mad Scientist!

Way earlier today, I was looking inside the slot for the key-switch and thought there was something to the back-right that was sliding (eye sight the 3rd thing to go:( ), part of the reason I did not comprehend everything you said.

However.... (For everyone else)

Removing the battery cover and then Blue 2 Key-Switch on the 6.3 remote,
There is a small grey piece in the center that will slide left to right when looking down at the remote keypad.
This switch moves side to side depending on the width of the 2 legs/prongs that are on the key-switch.

SW POSITION -- 622 DISPLAY ------REMARKS
...1st position is TV2 UHF PRO -------This is automatically selected when inserting the Blue 2 UHF PRO key-switch.
...2nd position is TV1 IR -------------This is automatically selected when inserting the Green 1 key-switch.
...3rd position is TV1 IR/UHF PRO ----This is automatically selected when inserting the Green 1 UHF PRO key-switch.
...4th position is TV1 IR--------------This is automatically selected when inserting the Black UHF key-switch.
..................................................NOTE: Not intended for use with the ViP 622, the 4th Position provides IR/UHF (non-PRO).

Ensuring UHF PRO remote for TV1 is programmed for "Address 1" and UHF PRO remote for TV2 is programmed for "Address 2"; I pushed the "System Info" button on the receiver; then one at a time, I hit the record button on the remotes. They took the new addresses, as well as TV1 shifted to IR/UHF PRO.

That is pretty neat to be able to point the remote (once keyed correctly) at the receiver while in System Info, and it will detect a Green 1 UHF PRO and change, instead of having to go into the Installation Menu and manually enable it (which isn't an option on the ViP 622).

NOTE: TV1 and TV2 can use the same Address on the remote, provided TV1 is IR and TV2 is UHF PRO. However, if both are UHF PRO, they MUST have a different Address, doesn't have to be 1 and 2, but must be different. Also, I did not play with the A/B switch to change frequencies, and don't know if they both need to be on the same freq or not.

Tomorrow I'll go by the retailer where I bought my extra 6.3 remotes and see if he has the Green 1 UHF PRO key-switches laying around.

Thanks again Pepper.
SW

Last edited:
SmityWhity said:
Removing the battery cover and then Blue 2 Key-Switch on the 6.3 remote,
There is a small grey piece in the center that will slide left to right when looking down at the remote keypad.
...1st position is TV2 UHF PRO ---------This is automatically selected when inserting the Blue 2 UHF PRO key-switch.
...2nd position is TV1 IR
...3rd position is TV1 IR/UHF PRO -----This is automatically selected when inserting the Green 1 UHF PRO key-switch.
...4th position is TV1 IR
This switch moves side to side depending on the width of the 2 legs/prongs that are on the key-switch.
Minor Correction:

...4th position is TV1 IR/UHF (non-Pro) -----This is automatically selected when inserting the Black UHF key-switch.

What about the 8.0 UHF pro for the 811?

Hi, all! This is fascinating and opens some doors for me! Great work guys figuring this out!

I have both the 5.3 IR and 6.3 IR/UHF for my 622 and an 8.0 UHF for my 811. (You might recall my lament about that 8.0 in another thread regarding my renegade dog!)

I haven't tried to look yet, but is there a similar multi-position switch in the 8.0? If that switch somehow changed positions due to the dog that might completely explain my problem!

TIA and BRgds...

Derwin0 -- Thanks for the info, I went and modified my post.

bhelms -- At the top of this forum, there are about 3 stickeys, one dealing with remotes, I looked through them sometime back, but late last night looked through them again. Here are a couple of links that maybe of value.

From a post by Scott:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=7758&d=1142022830
Check page 3 for details on the 811 and 8.0.
I believe either the 6.2 or 6.3 will work.

From a post by gbjbany:
http://www.dbstalk.com/622review/DBSTalkViP622Review.pdf
Pages 40 - 44 have some info, maybe other pages as well.

Glancing through the first post last night, it looks like there may be two part numbers for each of the 6.2 and 6.3 remotes. One part number would be for the remote, stickers, and Blue 2 UHF PRO key-switch; the other part number would be the same items plus some extra key-switches.

I don't have a 8.0, but I would doubt that the dog's actions would of changed the switch settings, unless it was done by some sort of circuit shorting, the switch is physical and it is moved left to right, which then selects various circuits(?). When the tab is pushed in, it slides the switch over with the 2 prongs, and then keeps it in place because there is no room to move either direction between the 2 prongs.

Also, on the ViP 622 Green 1 remote -- this is an IR remote; I suspect that the "Green Tab" can be completely removed, but it does not look like it has a switch when I partly removed the tab, so I put it back to keep it pretty.

Last edited:
...E* is sending a replacement for the 8.0. I wonder if it will be another 8.0 or perhaps the #135899 6.2 "kit" per your first link? That one would be most interesting for further experimentation...!

Well it turned-out to be the 6.2 kit. I only needed to load the batteries and program it for address 1 and it was immediately controlling the 811. (Now that I think about it I did not confirm whether it was working on both IR and UHF - I'll do that tonight.) I then programmed it to also control the TV and we were back in business in about 5 minutes.

I might commandeer that 6.2 so I can also have a UHF control for TV1 on the 622 (hoping it can be set up that way). I already know that the 622's 5.3 IR remote will control the 811, so the swap should have no consequence and it will give me a bit more flexibility for TV1...

Last edited:
The "Green 1" tab is not removable on the 5.x remotes without taking the whole thing apart. The UHF guts are not in there anyway.

FYI, for anyone who is wondering, I took apart a 6.3 and a 6.2 remote and compared them. Everything internally is the same (even same part numbers on internal board) just the 6.3 has the multicolored buttons.

Pepper - How did you get the cases apart? I was trying to get my 8.0 UHF remote apart but didn't see anything obvious. I found two "tabs" (?) under the label on the back but with only a little bit of trying to release them I gave up. Even tho' that one is toast I didn't want to break it apart. The 8.0, 5.3, 6.2 and 6.3 remotes I have all look identical in terms of their cases, so whatever you learned about opening your 6.2 and 6.3 probably applies to the 8.0.

TIA and BRgds...

I found a thick standard screwdriver most helpful. Starting from the gap at the back of the remote, just carefully pry apart then slide the screwdriver blade slowly all the way to the other end. Repeat on the other side. The clips will pop open.

Pepper said:
I found a thick standard screwdriver most helpful. Starting from the gap at the back of the remote, just carefully pry apart then slide the screwdriver blade slowly all the way to the other end. Repeat on the other side. The clips will pop open.
Tks, Pepper - I'll try that. The screwdriver I was using was small and just dinging-up the plastic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)