What is the difference in antenna distance ratings?

bsr2002

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
South Texas
What is the difference between an antenna rated 80 miles in Blue or Violet areas and an antenna that is rated 160 miles in Red area?

I bought a Magnavox MANT902 about 2 years ago and it was rated in the Blue to Violet areas at 60-120 mile range. I was browsing some sights to check out other antenna brands when I saw my same ant. was rated in the Red areas but the mile range stayed the same.
:confused: :shocked

bsr2002 said:
What is the difference between an antenna rated 80 miles in Blue or Violet areas and an antenna that is rated 160 miles in Red area?

I bought a Magnavox MANT902 about 2 years ago and it was rated in the Blue to Violet areas at 60-120 mile range. I was browsing some sights to check out other antenna brands when I saw my same ant. was rated in the Red areas but the mile range stayed the same.
:confused: :shocked

The range ratings on antennas are pretty worthless and seldom achievable in the typical home installation. The color code ratings are a bit more reliable when used in conjunction with the color code for a station to be received per antennaweb. As a general rule, totally ignore the range ratings. Use gain ratings to compare antennas of a given manufacturer, but don't rely on them between manufactures. Use the color ratings to generally compare antennas across categories of antennas of a given manufacturer and amoung different brands. Use the computer modeling of the gain for those antennas modeled on HDTV Primer as the best absolute for antenna comparisons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)