What is the maximum size for photos in a post?

What is the maximum size for a photo in a post? I couldn't find it listed.
When you say size, do you mean byte count or dimensions?

Screen grabs are usually okay, but unscaled iPhone and prosumer camera pictures are not practical because they're obscenely large in every way.

Even with a 1920 pixel wide screen there's not much more than about 1200 horizontal pixels to work with.

Is there a maximum pixel width? I was trying to help another forum member on another thread. He said he got a message saying his photos were too big, so he reduced them to 600 x 600 pixels.

I told him I didn't know what the max allowed size was, but that I have posted as wide as 750 and 1000 pixels.

I'm trying to avoid trial and error size tests with this forum software, but I'll do it if I have no other choice.

It was my hope that admin would tell me. Is that an unrealistic hope?

I usually resize my pictures to a maximum of 1,000 pixels in the longest dimension. It may be higher now, but I haven’t changed my limit.

Is there a maximum pixel width?
Technically speaking, probably not, but there's clearly a practical limit above which one would just be wasting storage space and bandwidth.

Think about the window that you're message appears in and don't make the images any wider than that. If more detail is required (and it almost always isn't), then the pictures can be uploaded rather than pasted.

I made a test.

The first attachment was 1366 x 768 pixels, 338 KB; it was not reduced.
The second attachment was 2581 x 2046 pixels, 1.07 MB; the forum software reduced it to 1363 x 1080, 275 KB.

After I added the second attachment, it didn't allow a Preview.

Attachments

• 1-9-21 CH11 test2 29884 near window10in.jpg
    1-9-21 CH11 test2 29884 near window10in.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1103_1.jpg
    IMG_1103_1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 111

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)