What is the privacy policy here at satguys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago
I have a serious question, at least its serious to me... :eek:

If a member of this forum were to violate another members privacy by obtaining personal and private information, either by questionable or priveleged means, and used that information in an effort to intimidate another member via PM, how should that be addressed with the forum?

I do not feel threatened by this person due to residential distance, but had they lived in the Chicago area, I certainly would be. I have a family, and the thought of anyone going through that kind of effort just to intimidate and settle a score is very disconcerting.

I'm sure many can understand my concern. Thanks.

If someone did that, I would let scott know at once, or the police. Scott first obviously. Alot of personal info can be obtained easily enough, if you have slipped and given out clues. Not saying you did that, but its possible. In any case, it should be dealt with.

I would PM Scott or email him at ineedhelp@satelliteguys.us

I did...but than I remembered that he is probably on his way to Vegas and figured I'd just post here since he may or may not check his messages. I honestly don't want to make it any more of an issue that it really is. Like I said, I don't feel threatened, but I do have a healthy concern. Its kind of creepy and is in very poor taste...

If someone did that, I would let scott know at once, or the police. Scott first obviously. Alot of personal info can be obtained easily enough, if you have slipped and given out clues. Not saying you did that, but its possible. In any case, it should be dealt with.

I will not call the police. That would bring headaches here that don't belong. (look what happened with the pit). I have too much respect for Scott and this site to be a source of any more aggrivation than I already am... :)

Seriously, its not that kind of issue. A concern yes, but like I said...I don't feel threatened, just more freaked out...thats all...:)

Thanks for your concern, msmith...

Vampz, if you feel threatened or not, if someone used that info to actually intimidate you in a pm (as you stated), you cant be too safe. That person is a sick individual, and should be dealt with. I know I would take it as far as I could. No need for that at all, no matter the intent. I know you probably dont want to give to much info, but being vauge, what did they say?

If I call anyone out or name names, that makes me no better. If anything, I need to own up so some partial responsibility here whether they went to far or not...

My only duty here with this thread was to inform Scott and the staff that if this conduct was not in correlation with their privacy policies or how they wish to run their ship, than they have a right to know that it happened. Thats it. No ill will, just healthy concern...thats it...

If I call anyone out or name names, that makes me no better. If anything, I need to own up so some partial responsibility here whether they went to far or not...

I dont agree, but thats your call. Good luck in it

Privacy Policy covers how your personal information will be used by SatelliteGuys and staff. Since this is public forum, it is your responsiblity how you elect to protect your privacy. For example, a member could select a username of Ronad Reagan and post his location as Washington D.C., or this individual could select an alias of TheGipper and elect not to publish his location. In my case, although I go by the alias of riffjim4069, after almost 10000 post I am sure there is enough information out there for a motivated stalker to determine my identify using Google and public records. To be honest, my personal details are out there on the forums, but that's my choice.

If any individual is sending your unwanted or threatening PMs...place him on your Ignore List and report him to SatelliteGuys Staff.

Now, if this individual was provided with personal information about you from a Staff Member (which I doubt would happen), then you should contact Scott and take whatever means necessary to protect your privacy and your families safety commensurate with the threat.

For the record, I was not physically threatened. The personal information was used for intimidation purposes. Just to gain the upper hand. The most threatening thing about it was the creepiness of it all. Just that they were willing to do that...

I mean, I expect Scott to know something about me...after all, I am a supporter and there is a certain amount of disclosure required to make the transaction...I don't know about the staff...

But I do know that the university I used to teach at and where I attended was never disclosed here, so whomever saw it fit to seek me out...did a pretty thorough job of it...

If any individual is sending your unwanted or threatening PMs...place him on your Ignore List and report him to SatelliteGuys Staff.
I dont know if ignore blocks PM's but most definitely you would want to tell Scott...you should be able to send a PM or e-mail directly to him and would work better then the ineedhelp one.

But I do know that the university I used to teach at and where I attended was never disclosed here, so whomever saw it fit to seek me out...did a pretty thorough job of it...
Just curious, how is that information know to Scott (or the staff) ? Or was other information from here used to determine that ? If you logged in from work, various people with the right privileges can see your IP and/or reverse-DNS entry. I have no idea if that information is kept logged for any period of time though. Right now, for instance, the staff can see that I'm connected via my AT&T (actually reads 'ameritech') DSL connection from Dayton OH.

I mean, I expect Scott to know something about me...after all, I am a supporter and there is a certain amount of disclosure required to make the transaction...I don't know about the staff...

when you make a pub payment (last I checked) it didnt show your address if paying by paypal. And you can click "no shipping address needed" so it obviously doesn't show.

when you make a pub payment (last I checked) it didnt show your address if paying by paypal. And you can click "no shipping address needed" so it obviously doesn't show.

Honestly, Ice...Scott is the site owner and a businessman. I happily conduct my business as a supporter in a trusting manner, and he has every right to know who I am in that capacity. Even when I PM him, I sign my 'real' name out of respect for his position and the priveleges I'm given here. Thats not an issue...

The concern is that who did this was NOT Scott, he does not know me, and not only addressed me by first and last name, but sited what univeristy I taught at and attended as a student. Now THAT is creepy. Thats not pub/sub information, thats research. And he clearly used that research to attempt to intimidate and assume some type of upper hand. It just seems a big extreme to me...

I mean...ok...I can be a jerk...but do I deserve that?

Honestly, Ice...Scott is the site owner and a businessman. I happily conduct my business as a supporter in a trusting manner, and he has every right to know who I am in that capacity. Even when I PM him, I sign my 'real' name out of respect for his position and the priveleges I'm given here. Thats not an issue...
no I understand. I was just stating when you make a pub payment the options ;)

The concern is that who did this was NOT Scott, he does not know me, and not only addressed me by first and last name, but sited what univeristy I taught at and attended as a student. Now THAT is creepy. Thats not pub/sub information, thats research. And he clearly used that research to attempt to intimidate and assume some type of upper hand. It just seems a big extreme to me...

that is kinda odd. I hope it isnt a staff member because if it is they have some serious explaining to do to Scott. I know we have had our differences but damn man someone has some serious issues if they are going to do that to you. Its just a message board :)

no I understand. I was just stating when you make a pub payment the options ;)

that is kinda odd. I hope it isnt a staff member because if it is they have some serious explaining to do to Scott. I know we have had our differences but damn man someone has some serious issues if they are going to do that to you. Its just a message board :)

It really doesn't matter who did it. What matters is that Satguys can address the issue to perserve their own values and policies. Like I said, I don't feel threatened....freaked out, yes, but not threatened...

Either way, you know I can be a jerk sometimes, and it may not be an excuse for the negative actions, but it is an explanation. I may just have to own up to a little misconduct myself here. We shall see...

I just got in here at Vegas and was alerted to this thread, as you can imagine I havent checked the site most of the day.

I am going to close this as I want to investigate this further and go through the logs. I am not sure that the person (if its whom I am thinking about) in question has access to that data so I want to look at things and make sure.

In going through the logs quickly I do not see any staff looking at your account details over the past 3 months.

I did look at your account however and saw you have a vanity domain name which closely matches your screen name, and in looking at that I was able to pull up lots of info on you, including your name, phone number, address, educational email address and the fact that Yahoo registered the domain for you. That information that is of public record that you yourself put on the internet. I am guessing this is how whoever got your information.

I have been up since 3am eastern time and will take a closer look at the lots when I can see straighter. We do take our members privacy seriously and I will do whatever I can to protect our members privacy in our databases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)