What is the proper procedure to shutdown a Vip622 ?

Tron49

Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Wilmington, IL
Sorry, if it sounds like a stupid question :confused: I've tried doing searches on the forums and I looked in the manual to see if there was a procedure on shutting down the Vip622 (or any DVR for that matter). I tried pressing once the POWER button.... on the remote, on the 622. I've also held down the POWER button for five or ten seconds and seem to go into a reboot scenario (soft boot). Is there a list or area in the forum that documents hard to find or undocumented topics.

Thanks for any help :D

The 622/722 is not designed to, or should be completely powered down, rather allow it to go into standby. You do not want to power off the receiver (pull plug) because you might miss software and guide updates or recordings you have programmed.

Just press the Power Button on your remotes....

By the way... they tell you to always turn your receiver off at night, but this stopped being necessary a long time ago... the receiver turns itself off after 3-4 hours of inactivity anyway....and at 3 am automatically, so that it may receive updates.

If you're going out of town and want to completely turn them off for safety, your only option is going to be to unplug them.

Proper shutdown...

Thanks, guys for the quick response. I normally leave everything on 24/7 however, I'm building an entertainment center and moving things around. I don't want to move the unit while its running and pressing the power button does nothing (still see lights on the front panel). There has to be a way to properly shut down the unit so that the HD does not get damaged... :D

There has to be a way to properly shut down the unit so that the HD does not get damaged... :D
Pull the plug. HD will be fine. Only way.
There probably is not one long time owner who has not had to do a hard reset (pull plug) from time to time. No damage ever reported. Not to worry.

AC Pwr/HD Watchdog

Greetings.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the HD Watchdog will take care of this for you. Believe it or not, the moment you pull the plug, a watchdog (a daemon in the background) notices this (uh-oh, power failure coming down the line) and then in fractions of a second, commands the hard drive to park the heads and get ready for the shutdown before the power dies completely. The Watchdog (WD) should therefore prevent a head crash in the HD.

Again, this is the way I understand it and I could very well be wrong, but you should be safe in pulling the plug.

Greetings.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the HD Watchdog will take care of this for you. Believe it or not, the moment you pull the plug, a watchdog (a daemon in the background) notices this (uh-oh, power failure coming down the line) and then in fractions of a second, commands the hard drive to park the heads and get ready for the shutdown before the power dies completely. The Watchdog (WD) should therefore prevent a head crash in the HD.

Again, this is the way I understand it and I could very well be wrong, but you should be safe in pulling the plug.

Except that it is a function of any modern drive's firmware and not the application's driver code. Doesn't matter to the user though. Haven't had to park a hard drive for decades now.

... the receiver turns itself off after 3-4 hours of inactivity anyway....and at 3 am automatically, so that it may receive updates.

Ah Ha! We were wondering why the reciever turned off in the afternoons when hubby has been watching tv/napping and not changing channels.

You can turn off the inactivity shutoff in the menus.

Correct... but no way to prevent the receiver from turning itself before the Update process... you can change the time it updates, and if you're there when it tries to, you can cancel it... but if you're not there, it WILL turn itself off when it is set to.