What is zoom for anyway?

SciFi HD really ticks me off because Who and Sarah Jane don't fill the screen, at least to the sides. I understand if there are bars on the top and bottom as there is no set "widescreen" format which is evidence by every movie on DVD. But television programs are filmed/shot in a 16x9 format, because that is what TV's are.

Now disregard that Doctor Who and Sarah Jane aren't filmed in "HD." That's fine. But it is filmed where the aspect ratio is 16x9, and when it's shown on the BBC I can pretty much guarantee it isn't pillar-boxed, it fills their entire set. Now, why is it so hard for SciFi to transmit that program in the exact same fashion? Along with the latter seasons of SG1, on Dish they are pillar boxed, but when I play the DVDs, both upscaled and not they still fill the entire set because they are 16x9 aspect ratio.

I might actually watch the TV I pay for if common sense was used when broadcasting shows.

SciFi HD really ticks me off because Who and Sarah Jane don't fill the screen, at least to the sides. I understand if there are bars on the top and bottom as there is no set "widescreen" format which is evidence by every movie on DVD. But television programs are filmed/shot in a 16x9 format, because that is what TV's are.

But since there is no such thing as "widescreen" SD, they can only broadcast it letterboxed. Whether or not they should zoom it on the HD versions of the channel could be debated.

However, this situation is one time where it make sense to hit the ol' Format button and change to full Zoom. Looks pretty good then.

I have a solution to all of this stuff make the black bar illegal no black bar ever even if the finale picture is distorted:p

The above is a joke. I want the shows to be broadcast in their orginal aspect ratio rational?? whatever. I want to be able to have the choice of using the zoom feature or not---I do not want the broadcaster to do it for me.

But since there is no such thing as "widescreen" SD, they can only broadcast it letterboxed. Whether or not they should zoom it on the HD versions of the channel could be debated.

However, this situation is one time where it make sense to hit the ol' Format button and change to full Zoom. Looks pretty good then.

Not only is there widescreen SD, but several stations in my area use it. You can see it broadcast either in 480I or 480P. Digital channels can send the aspect ratios and some sets will automatically adjust. Some stations have experimented with widescreen SD going even before the launch of Digital TV's. Anyone remember the broadcast of a Superbowl in Fox Widescreen?

I use partial zoom for all SD programming (primarily because I prefer SD to fill the screen, but also I have a projection TV and it is not recommended to frequently use the black bars) and normal for all HD programming. I would never zoom an HD picture, but I have no problems zooming in SD.

Hey, DISH must have given us all these settings for a reason, right?

That is exactly what my wife says. THEY WOULD NOT PUT IT ON THERE IF IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE USED.

When I recently bought my Harmony remote I thought I could get around this but NOOO she would not have it until I programed it in. So I named the button "SH!T picture". :D

I switch to 480p on SD channels then stretch then on my TV then I use the 4:3 expand option and I get almost no distortion. The 4:3 expand on my set slightly stretches the edges and the stretch on my 622 seems to compensate for the rest. the only noticeable distortion is at the sides of the screen where it does pull the picture a little. Since I have a rear projection TV, I have to worry about burn in with the black bars on each side and this is my best option.
For letterbox shows such as Dr Who on SciFi or movies in OAR I keep the 622 at 1080i and use full zoom. On SD channels the picture does get noticeably worse but the HD channels that are showing letterboxed SD it works out nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts