What it takes to lay my own T1 or other data cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arikeden

Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Virginia
I did consider satellite Internet, but I need reliable, always-on (even in bad weather) connection. I'm an IT security consultant and need connection that supports VPN and high bandwidth. Satellite plans that support VPN are very expensive and make T1 look very attractive. FAPs are a show-stopper because I do need to move lots of data at times. I was offered t1, but they wanted something like $600/month. They would have to lay cable about a mile or two along a freeway. I'm wondering if my own company lays that cable (or other medium): 1. is it subject to franchise agreement with my county? 2. who would own the cable? Is it true ownership? 3. Would my company then be able to sell the use of that cable? 4. What types of permits would I need: just county or some federal as well? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

I did consider satellite Internet, but I need reliable, always-on (even in bad weather) connection. I'm an IT security consultant and need connection that supports VPN and high bandwidth. Satellite plans that support VPN are very expensive and make T1 look very attractive. FAPs are a show-stopper because I do need to move lots of data at times. I was offered t1, but they wanted something like $600/month. They would have to lay cable about a mile or two along a freeway. I'm wondering if my own company lays that cable (or other medium): 1. is it subject to franchise agreement with my county? 2. who would own the cable? Is it true ownership? 3. Would my company then be able to sell the use of that cable? 4. What types of permits would I need: just county or some federal as well? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

laying cable along a road requires many things. most likely the company already has a row agreement and can do it. you would need to obtain all clearances, agreements, ect. do engineering plans. figure 1-2 years for approval, and 10-100k in fees
they can just do it usually
the actuall costs will vary on how they lay it. horizontal boring ads alot. open field would be cheaper.

laying cable along a road requires many things. most likely the company already has a row agreement and can do it. you would need to obtain all clearances, agreements, ect. do engineering plans. figure 1-2 years for approval, and 10-100k in fees
they can just do it usually
the actuall costs will vary on how they lay it. horizontal boring ads alot. open field would be cheaper.

Thanks for the information. This other company is actually a small t1 provider - I'd be surprised if they had any kind of agreements with the county. State-level - yes, they might have. Anyways, assuming your assessment is correct, what about the ownership of the cable? How does that work? What if we work together with that company? How companies make return on investment? Once the cable is in the ground, can the company that laid the cable claim exclusive access to it or can any other telco use it for a flat fee or negotiated fee?

Thanks for the information. This other company is actually a small t1 provider - I'd be surprised if they had any kind of agreements with the county. State-level - yes, they might have. Anyways, assuming your assessment is correct, what about the ownership of the cable? How does that work? What if we work together with that company? How companies make return on investment? Once the cable is in the ground, can the company that laid the cable claim exclusive access to it or can any other telco use it for a flat fee or negotiated fee?

when roads are put in there are utility easements/rows on each side, i think all util companies have access to them. the company you are taling to may sub thier lines from att or verizon. try calling the major company in your area. im not sure of the ownership of lines, but i think you have to let others use them for a fee. i just used to design the roads, never got into the some of that stuff. i had enough headaches

You'll only get 1.5 Mbps out of a T1 anyway. Heck, we're small and we use a pair of bonded T1 lines. Maybe you are more in line for a T3? But the bucks you'll pay are big. You have probably gathered that you will not be laying your own cable. You could conceivably set up a wireless system, but this is not cheap either.

1. Yes, an agreement, but I wouldn't call it franchise.
2. Usually, you lay it you own it. Certain utilities get turned over to the local government.
3. Depends upon the agreement, your licensing and permits. IOW, ain't gonna happen.
4. Oh, this varies SOOOO much. There are companies that specialize in doing this sort of thing, getting required permits.

And you must pay for any damages you cause. And you'll likely cause some.

This is not a do it yourselfer project. $600 isn't far off the mark. Look into resellers, CLECs rather than ILECs

All this is based on my just shy of 5 years of working for a local government.

You'll only get 1.5 Mbps out of a T1 anyway. Heck, we're small and we use a pair of bonded T1 lines. Maybe you are more in line for a T3? But the bucks you'll pay are big. You have probably gathered that you will not be laying your own cable. You could conceivably set up a wireless system, but this is not cheap either.

1. Yes, an agreement, but I wouldn't call it franchise.
2. Usually, you lay it you own it. Certain utilities get turned over to the local government.
3. Depends upon the agreement, your licensing and permits. IOW, ain't gonna happen.
4. Oh, this varies SOOOO much. There are companies that specialize in doing this sort of thing, getting required permits.

And you must pay for any damages you cause. And you'll likely cause some.

This is not a do it yourselfer project. $600 isn't far off the mark. Look into resellers, CLECs rather than ILECs

All this is based on my just shy of 5 years of working for a local government.

Thanks again for all your responses.
Yeah, I knew it's not a do-it-yourself. I was thinking alone the lines: this small ISP (megapath, I think) would not do it themselves either - they would hire a sub to actually lay the cable, and they are able to make a profit after 12 months... Why can't I do it?!
I've heard something about Universal Fee being redirected into broadband access ventures (instead of phone access) - may be there are some money.
I have two WISPs close by yet out of reach.
Bluemont Networks came by to test signal - they were confident they could get a good signal to supply me with a ***T1*** - yeah, they insist on calling it T1, even though they refer to wireless 1.5 mpbs which isn't T1 by any measure. Well, they could not get a signal.
I guess it would cost me $800/month to rent an office in a nearby town and $200/month for a 15mpbs business DSL with 30 IP addresses...

If you paid that having a cost of $1,000 total and could split the cost between some businesses offering it wirelessly then it would help you and other businesses get the bandwidth for a lower cost. I would try to run a wireless link to your place from a business that is closest to where you can feed a fiber/T-1 or pay them so much to receive so much of their bandwidth, give them something for tying into their place.

I would look into the wireless route a little more. I don't know what city you live in, but there are often fixed-wireless providers, that you don't know about.
I work for a fixed wireless microwave isp, and we do little to no advertising. Our customers are mostly big companies needing custom solutions.
And i'm not sure why you dont think wireless compares to a T1, about 1/3 of our customer base is people that have switched away from T1's and bonded T1's, why? Cause they are too slow. If you want to spend the cash, wireless can be as fast as you want it to be.
We also often do point-to-point connections... is there any houses or buildings within a couple miles that you can see, that can get a decent internet connection? You can often talk someone into letting you use their building as a relay. Just an idea

If you can get phone service, you can get a T1. Its just a matter for the phone company to open each and every splice box and cut out all the multiples and install line amplifiers at certain points along the system.

I got T1's at the office and they are a pain in my butt, since we are like 27,000 feet from the central office and running on old lead cable. Everytime the fricken cable gets wet, we have issues.

Your probably better off looking into some point to point wireless systems, find a commercial building for rent a few miles away where DSL is available and rent some space on a rooftop for $100 per month to setup your point to point wireless network

There are some new business broadband providers who have come into the markets in recent years. While they are mostly in the major metropolitan areas, they are expanding very quickly.

We have three facilities where the land-line based services are always failing and we opted for a company called BOB Business Broadband. They need a line-of-site to a microwave tower or receiver - generally on a high building, and can provide up to 20 megabytes with up to 128 static IP addresses.

BOB Business Broadband wireless is STABLE and DEPENDABLE. We have had some major wind, snow, and rain storms and never lost connectivity, which, for us, is extremely important as doctors are pulling medical images while they are doing surgeries and we must have an always available connection.

T1 line is made up of 24 digitized voice channels, each channel carrying 64 kilobits per second. Being a full-duplex circuit allows it to transmit and receive 1.544 megabits per second.
When we think about transmitting voice and data we often connect it to the usual telephone lines we’ve grown to recognize to be the carrier of the two ever since. But have you heard that there’s a new trend in transmitting voice and data that is a lot times better than a twisted copper telephone lines? Yes, there is and it has been around for years. It is simply called T1.

T1 is a particular kind of fiber optic lines or could also be copper that can carry 24 digitized voice channels or transmit 1.544 megabits per second. This sounds really good compared to a normal phone line that can only carry 30 kilobits per second. T1 carries 60 more times of data than a normal residential modem. It works this way; if the T1 line gets plug into the office’s phone system then it’s ready for telephone conversations while getting it plug into the network’s router allows it to carry data.

Another key feature that makes a T1 line better again than an analog modem is its reliability. If the users are not really doing some heavy downloading at the same time, T1 line assures you that it can handle many users quite well. There would be no problem even if there are hundreds of users in one T1 line when they are simply doing general browsing.

Of course it is important as well to know how much you will be paying for a T1 line. Because of all its good features, it is also somehow costly than your traditional phone line. However, it is really more practical when a business have more than 8 telephone lines as this lessens telephone charges while providing high-speed internet access. Price of a T1 line ranges from $1,000 to $1,500 per month. This will depend on who is the provider and its destination. The other end of the T1 line requires to be connected to a web server. The fee the phone company charges and the fee the ISP charges combined is the sum of the cost.

For a large company, a T1 line might not suffice. The following are suggested:
  • DS0 - 64 kilobits per second
  • ISDN - Two DS0 lines plus signaling (16 kilobytes per second), or 128 kilobits per second
  • T1 - 1.544 megabits per second (24 DS0 lines)
  • T3 - 43.232 megabits per second (28 T1s)
  • OC3 - 155 megabits per second (84 T1s)
  • OC12 - 622 megabits per second (4 OC3s)
  • OC48 - 2.5 gigabits per seconds (4 OC12s)
  • OC192 - 9.6 gigabits per second (4 OC48s)

Price of a T1 line might back one off but the good news is prices are dropping. There are many providers who will you sure service that is really worth what you are paying for. T1 is the next step up from DSL/Cable but not only do you get twice the bandwidth you get a significant increase in reliability. The T1 provider guarantees a Quality of Service(QoS) through a Service Level Agreement(SLA). This ensures your business will always have the full bandwidth as per the SLA.

Once you submit your quote request and are happy with the services you will be getting it will take around few days to actually get your T1 install completed. So plan ahead. This time is mainly gated by the local exchange carrier who needs to coordinate the installation.
To know more visit:
t1everywhere.com

T1 line is made up of 24 digitized voice channels, each channel carrying 64 kilobits per second. Being a full-duplex circuit allows it to transmit and receive 1.544 megabits per second.
When we think about transmitting voice and data we often connect it to the usual telephone lines we’ve grown to recognize to be the carrier of the two ever since. But have you heard that there’s a new trend in transmitting voice and data that is a lot times better than a twisted copper telephone lines? Yes, there is and it has been around for years. It is simply called T1.

Some problems with the definitions above, to wit:

"Digital signal 1 (DS1, sometimes DS-1) is a T-carrier signaling scheme devised by Bell Labs.[SUP][1][/SUP] DS1 is a widely used standard in telecommunications in North America and Japan to transmit voice and data between devices. E1 is used in place of T1 outside North America, Japan, and South Korea. Technically, DS1 is the logical bit pattern used over a physical T1 line; however, the terms "DS1" and "T1" are often used interchangeably, although incorrectly."

^ "How Bell Ran in Digital Communications" September 1996, webpage: BYTE-Bell: Bell Labs scientists developed a time-division multiplexing scheme, T1.
The poster is correct in his speed definitions toward the bottom of the posting, and is also correct in the fact that a T1 will "take a few days." Depending on the distance involved, the engineering of the circuit involved, and the inter-carrier cooperation, such an installation can take a couple of months to engineer and deploy.

T1 type services are being replaced with alternative services over fiber now, and and Comcast can now deliver up to 200 Gigabytes per second, over fiber, in their service areas where they have upgraded their networks to full digital service and have deployed their enterprise business class services.

Even slower services from carriers like Comcast are beating the pants off traditional T1 pricing and reliability. In the Chicago area, I can get 100 meg up, 10 down, soon to be 20 down, for less than $600.00 per month. 200 Gigabytes tops out around $25K per month. I can get 12 down and 2 up for about $50.00 per month.

Comcast's network, where they have upgraded their network, is also 100% fiber based to within a few blocks of the coaxial deployment. Unlike the older copper cables, buried in the ground for eons in some communities, this makes their services highly reliable. Comcast also provides much faster service when there is a problem. For business class customers, this typically means a problem is resolved within minutes, vs the hours or days of companies like AT&T. [Remember, the local telco almost always owns the copper cable hanging on the polls and buried in the ground, and, when a fault does occur, you will be at he mercy of the company over which your services travel to get the repairs made.

In the three years I have been working with Comcast business class services, I have moved more than 6,000 customers away from traditional copper T-1 type services, and given them much higher bandwidth, and much greater reliability in the process.

Look beyond the box - don't limit your bandwidth mindset to traditional carriers. You will not only save a ton of money, but will also have much more reliable service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)