What no one will tell you about HDTV...

How many techs have been told that the picture was better after re-pointing a dish?

• Total voters
Thats your Opinion. I don't talk people into buying crap they don't need for an install. Its a waste of everyones money. Taking pride in you work also means doing the job right without the BS extras.I 'd like to know what makes you think you can judge anyones work here? Just because you think your right don't make it so. Sorry.If I wouldn't do it to my own house ,I sure as %ell would't do it to anyone elses.I think every Installer here takes a lot of pride in their work.They are here learning and giving info,spending free time to do this. The ones that aren't on the Satellites guys website are the ones that are there just for the pay check.

I didn't mean to insult anyone. Sorry if you were insulted. I'm sure there are a lot of techs who take pride in their work, but I have no idea what else you are talking about selling here.?

I didn't mean to insult anyone. Sorry if you were insulted. I'm sure there are a lot of techs who take pride in their work, but I have no idea what else you are talking about selling here.?
OK then what are you talking about? Everyone peaks their Dishes.? Thats not good enough though , Is it?? Nope, so without using 1000 words tell us in under 20 words What do you mean then? This is what I think you mean ,,, you want every installer to put in a line amp. Right? I'm not sure what else can be done to improve a signal. But from what I know Amps. only return lost voltage from a signal thats running throught about 150 or more feet of cable from the dish. So if someone has a receiver 25 or even 50 feet from their dish you install an Amp? Thats a waste of peoples money !!

All of the extensive work put into Reed Solomon and other related functions are to reduce errors, recover or reproduce digital information. Why? Because digital signal is prone to error and if they didn't, we'd all have crappy picture.

When did analog become so great? It's prone to much more rapid degredation than digital options are.

And if your signal is marginal, or corrupted, you can experience a good picture instead of a great one, even in the digital world.

The problem is that there are a number of areas where picture imperfections can creep in starting as early as the initial encode. If that isn't good; it's all downhill from there.

I don't disagree that PQ can be better; but you are way off on a lot of your science / engineering.

Cheers,

"So if someone has a receiver 25 or even 50 feet from their dish you install an Amp? Thats a waste of peoples money !!"

Not only that, it will overdrive the satellite tuner and you might get no signal at all. Satellite amps are for distances of over 200-250 ft.

Ok...here's my 2 cents: Analog signals are influenced by many things. Digital signals are as well. However, digital signals are what they are. Whether your signal is 40% or 100%, the PQ will remain the same. It either works, or it doesn't. There is no middle ground with a digital signal. PQ itself is mainly determined by three things: Quality it was captured at, quality it is broadcast at (was it upconverted/downcoverted?) and the equipment that displays the image for the viewer (receiver, tv, etc.) All of the nit-picking BS you're talking about has such a marginal effect, if any, that no end user will ever be able to tell the difference. That being said, I do believe that it is of the utmost importance for every installer/technician to do the best job possible every time for every customer and to make sure that every customer has the best PQ possible. But if you're spending hours sorting out bit and bytes, then you're wasting everyone's time, including your own. And yes, I have reinstalled systems before like from a superdish to a dish 1000, replacing half the cable and most of the fittings, and then had a customer tell me when I'm done that the picture looks better. Did I notice any improvement....Nope. I simply attribute it to a psychological effect on the customer's part. I tell them all the wonderful things I did to make their system better, and in their minds (which is used to years and years of dealing with an ANALOG signal), the picture looks better. To which of course I agree and say, Yeah it does look better. Even though I know to myself that it's the same as it was before. All I have done is increase the RELIABILITY of the system, not the PQ. Now on the opposite side, analog signals are completely dependent on signal strength and signal integrity. But since even all off-air HD broadcasts are 100% digital, then your argument is moot even for that. Yes an amp will increase the signal strength of an off-air broadcast thereby making it easier to receive, but it will not in any case increase the PQ.

Clarification

OK then what are you talking about? Everyone peaks their Dishes.? Thats not good enough though , Is it?? Nope, so without using 1000 words tell us in under 20 words What do you mean then? This is what I think you mean ,,, you want every installer to put in a line amp. Right? I'm not sure what else can be done to improve a signal. But from what I know Amps. only return lost voltage from a signal thats running throught about 150 or more feet of cable from the dish. So if someone has a receiver 25 or even 50 feet from their dish you install an Amp? Thats a waste of peoples money !!

I'm sure I haven't been as clear as I needed to be.

With satellite it is about a peaked HD signal vs. a marginal one (nothing to do with an amplifier). I know everyone does their best, but I found ones that are barely locked on HD. This wouldn't be a problem you would notice on your own installs, especially if you peak well.

With OTA, an amplifier/improver can help with marginal signal and/or excessive "noise".

We do everything we can to get as much good signal into the receivers.
Dish has standards for wire, splitters, switches, etc., because there can be problems using other products that do the same thing. They may introduce noise or corrupt and degrade a signal. And, remember the signal is analog all the way into the receiver before it is decoded and translated into digital picture.

Ok...here's my 2 cents: Analog signals are influenced by many things. Digital signals are as well. However, digital signals are what they are. Whether your signal is 40% or 100%, the PQ will remain the same. It either works, or it doesn't. There is no middle ground with a digital signal. PQ itself is mainly determined by three things: Quality it was captured at, quality it is broadcast at (was it upconverted/downcoverted?) and the equipment that displays the image for the viewer (receiver, tv, etc.) All of the nit-picking BS you're talking about has such a marginal effect, if any, that no end user will ever be able to tell the difference. That being said, I do believe that it is of the utmost importance for every installer/technician to do the best job possible every time for every customer and to make sure that every customer has the best PQ possible. But if you're spending hours sorting out bit and bytes, then you're wasting everyone's time, including your own. And yes, I have reinstalled systems before like from a superdish to a dish 1000, replacing half the cable and most of the fittings, and then had a customer tell me when I'm done that the picture looks better. Did I notice any improvement....Nope. I simply attribute it to a psychological effect on the customer's part. I tell them all the wonderful things I did to make their system better, and in their minds (which is used to years and years of dealing with an ANALOG signal), the picture looks better. To which of course I agree and say, Yeah it does look better. Even though I know to myself that it's the same as it was before. All I have done is increase the RELIABILITY of the system, not the PQ. Now on the opposite side, analog signals are completely dependent on signal strength and signal integrity. But since even all off-air HD broadcasts are 100% digital, then your argument is moot even for that. Yes an amp will increase the signal strength of an off-air broadcast thereby making it easier to receive, but it will not in any case increase the PQ.

Off air broadcast are digital information converted to "packets" of information, turned into analog signal for broadcast, that represents the digital information. Digital picture is not immune to corruption.

With satellite it is about a peaked HD signal vs. a marginal one (nothing to do with an amplifier). I know everyone does their best, but I found ones that are barely locked on HD. This wouldn't be a problem you would notice on your own installs, especially if you peak well.

With OTA, an amplifier/improver can help with marginal signal and/or excessive "noise".

We do everything we can to get as much good signal into the receivers.
Dish has standards for wire, splitters, switches, etc., because there can be problems using other products that do the same thing. They may introduce noise or corrupt and degrade a signal. And, remember the signal is analog all the way into the receiver before it is decoded and translated into digital picture.
Like I said if a Dish is peaked its peaked. Now your talking about Dishes that aren't peaked,thats alot different.Signal strengths that are in the 20'and 30' suck. But there is no Difference between having a 70 vs a 90. The 70 would fail sooner in a rain storm then the 90 thats a giving. But on a sunny day there is NO difference in picture quality.Your storys with OTA signals may hold up,but your Satellite storys have no meaning. I don't know of any Installers that would leave his customer without peaking the Dish. I wouldn't.

Last edited:

What is barely locked in ?? 50% signal?? No one should have a Marginal signal. If you do you call the satellite company and tell them to fix it. Big deal!! When the dish is Peaked there is Nothing else you can do to to make your HD picture Bettter. IT is what it is !! DONE!

After reading this and trying to figure out what the hell this post is about, I think there are two exclusive issues at play in this thread. Some folks appear to be interchanging these issues, which is making this WAY more FUBAR than necessary. I will try to make this simple.

ORIGINAL ENCODING, like at the broadcasting source, would make a difference in PQ depending on the sampling bit rate (i.e. 1 is less quality than 1,000,000).

SIGNAL STRENGTH to your receiver is irrelevant (unless you count no picture) in terms of PQ. It is either on or off. If the original encoding is chitty, then it will look chitty on your TV, no matter how strong your signal is. It is like saying if you live next to the power plant, you will get more electricity through your light sockets, and your 60-watt light bulb will shine as bright as a 100-watt bulb. It doesn't work that way.

What is barely locked in ?? 50% signal?? No one should have a Marginal signal. If you do you call the satellite company and tell them to fix it. Big deal!! When the dish is Peaked there is Nothing else you can do to to make your HD picture Bettter. IT is what it is !! DONE!

I'm done with this thread. Unsubscribing from it. It's pointless, it's stupid. I hope for the love of god this guy is not an installer for any dish company. He obviously needs to do a little reading and learning about the technology if he is truly an installer.

You'll never be able to get this guy to admit he is wrong...give up. We've called him out by 100 to 1 and he's still arguing that a better signal gives a better picture.

I'm done with this thread. Unsubscribing from it. It's pointless, it's stupid. I hope for the love of god this guy is not an installer for any dish company. He obviously needs to do a little reading and learning about the technology if he is truly an installer.

You'll never be able to get this guy to admit he is wrong...give up. We've called him out by 100 to 1 and he's still arguing that a better signal gives a better picture.

:up Yep he is a moron. I give up too.

If you have a HD-TV, you need HDTV programming to enjoy it. I went from a regular tube TV to a HD-TV without HDTV programming. I had to get use to it and if it wasn't for my hope of big and better things.... I would have returned it. A HD-TV without the programming SUCKS.

This is BS.

First off, either OTA comes in or doesnt. If anyone will argue a 55% SS OTA is worse than a 90% SS OTA, they are a complete idiot.

I'd say shooting off one's mouth before doing any research would more qualify one as an idiot.

The science behind the digital signal is now listed, hopefully in easy enough terms, for all those who doubted this fact of digital picture quality.

Check the updated links and terms:

HDTV Help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)