What Programming do we want now?

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
I think we're all happy with the progress Voom is making in terms of adding programming, especially with the arrival of ESPN. So, what channel(s) do you want now? I am assuming TNT-HD will get here when it arrives.

TNT HD, INHD
THT will run HD sports and IND does solid HD sports broadcasts as well
I know everyone wants RSN's but I think Voom needs to completely clobber Cables' basic and extended tiers first, and match most other providers in the HD sports area. Again, secure all HD channels that are sports oriented and worry about RSN's last.

Forgot HDNet. Didn't list INHd b/c it is cable, so not a possibility.

Personally I could care less about any SD channels, I barely watch them anyhow. All I want is more HD content, and every possible HD channel out there.

They need all the RSN's that are broadcasting in HD. However, they need to get the RSN's that actually show the local team games. Example: Fox Sports Chicago will no longer be showing the Bulls, Blackhawks, Sox, or Cubs, but the new Comcast Sports Chicago station will.

VOOM needs to create a sports package for maybe like 9.99 a month or 5.99 a month where you can get your local sports teams. That's the key here. If you can get your local teams in HD that are carried by the RSN's VOOM will be the HD king...hands down.

Well, the whole premise of RSNs is to provide people with their local team's games. People in Chicago get Fox Chicago, New York gets FSNY. People in Florida will never be allowed to get FSNY, even if it's HD, b/c of territorial restrictions. The way those restrictions are currently bypassed is by buying MLB Season Pass for $150/yr. I don't think they do HD on that service. Only INHD does out-of-market HD nationaly, besides ESPN, and that will always be a cable exclusive.

If you email the InHD press contact, they'll tell you that their programming is available to both DBS and satellite providers. They'll also tell you that they have not yet been able to reach a deal with a satellite provider, but have been in discussions. Might the terms they are asking be more acceptable to cable providers? That's entirely possible.

InHD is funded by cable operators, but lots of channels are like that. The Discovery Channel was initially funded by cable operators. The Golf Channel was funded by cable operators. TechTV will soon be owned by Comcast.

Right, I understand that, I was just thinking they could do it like DirecTV to offset the cost of adding the channels. They could make you pay 5 bucks a month to get all of the RSN's, but the games on the out of market RSN's are blacked out. You only get to see the games from your market.

However, I guess it would be just as good to charge 5 bucks a month for your local RSN. I know I would have no problems paying 5 bucks a month for Comcast Sports Chicago. If Voom adds that, they will have my business indefinitely.

It's sort of early to be thinking about RSNs. VOOM will not have the capacity before this fall with WM9 / MPEG4.

It might be early, but it's something they need to be thinking about. They need to get as much Sports programming in HD up as soon as they can.

The RSNs in HD are a long way off -- probably 14-18 months. There no chance of it before the move to WM9 / H.264 for HDTV in 2005.

I think the poll should be updated to say RSNs in SD, because those are a possibility for this year, whereas HD RSNs are not.

1- TNT-HD
2- NBA TV HD (need playoff games)
3 -HDnet (Yeah I know what Mark said)
4 - INHD (yeah I know "cable only")

Don't care about SD channels. If any SD channel wants my attention, convert to HD your channel.

Ken F said:
If you email the InHD press contact, they'll tell you that their programming is available to both DBS and satellite providers. They'll also tell you that they have not yet been able to reach a deal with a satellite provider, but have been in discussions. Might the terms they are asking be more acceptable to cable providers? That's entirely possible.

InHD is funded by cable operators, but lots of channels are like that. The Discovery Channel was initially funded by cable operators. The Golf Channel was funded by cable operators. TechTV will soon be owned by Comcast.

I didn't know INHD was available to satellite. I know I have seen advertisements for it saying it was a cable exclusive. I don't expect RSNs until next year, but I know a lot of us want them. Does anyone know how to edit the polls?

RSN's. Absolutely. Can't get rid of cable until I can get the Marlins on Fox Sports Florida and my Gators on Sunshine Network.

Sean Mota said:
1- TNT-HD
2- NBA TV HD (need playoff games)
3 -HDnet (Yeah I know what Mark said)
4 - INHD (yeah I know "cable only")

Don't care about SD channels. If any SD channel wants my attention, convert to HD your channel.

I second this!

Just because InHD is available to satellite providers doesn't mean it's available at a fair cost. For example, InHD may want a one-lump sum, say $2 million per year, rather than a per-subscriber monthly fee; that would make it very expensive for VOOM to carry with <25,000 subscribers, but very affordable for Comcast, etc to add.

But I do think Cablevision's addition of InHD (they were not one of the investors) was a good sign.

new programming

Hey guys, another voom newbie joining. I personally don't care if they add anymore sd channels or not, but the wife really wants the food network. She's rather upset for the espn addition without her getting the food. Granted, my stomach also misses the food network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)