what receivers do you recommend to use with a dish 500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilchichl

Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
new orleans
Hopefully I’m posting this in the right spot, sorry if I’m not. I’m a noobie and I’ve never done any fta but I want to try it out. My first question is what receivers do you recommend to use with a dish 500, and can I use that dish to get other birds other then dish net? Secondly what I would really like to accomplish is connecting to the lynsat at 58W to get some of the Colombian channels, what dish and receiver would I need? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of IntelSAt9 (58W) is C-band, and encrypted. There is some free to air stuff, but nothing that I can identify as Columbian channels. There are also a few free to air Ku band channels , but none that I can see are Columbian channels.
What channels are you trying to get? I suspect they are encrypted , but we'll see. At any rate, a Dish500 dish would never work.
:)

the colombiana channel that i want to get is caracol, not the caracol international that directv offers but the main one from the country.

Receiver for Dish 500?

That's easy any Dish network receiver, of course.
Or Bell ExpressVu receiver.
They require subscriptions and aren't Free-To-Air
Related: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...atellite-tv-you-will-get-you-banned-life.html

EDIT:
When I refreshed I saw that you wanted Caracol which is on C-band so you'll need a minimum 6-footer and C-band LNB
You can buy one new but it's highly recommended that you go around looking for a 8-footer or larger to make reliable reception

Note Caracol according to lyngsat is 3800 H 4444 on 58°W ITC since this year.
/EDIT

We usually recommend a 30-inch or larger dish with a linear LNB (the Dishnet's are circular)

One of our sponsor has an on-going Ebay special:
36" GEOSATpro 90cm Satellite Dish with .4 LNBF - FTA - eBay (item 140305558678 end time Mar-14-09 15:59:57 PDT)

As for free-to-air receivers, we usually recommend Coolsat 4000/5000/6000, Fortec Mercury II/ Dynamic, and Pansat models with blind scan.

I also like the Geosatpro DVR-1100c and I assume it's DVR-less twin the DSR-100 preforms equally well.

the colombiana channel that i want to get is caracol, not the caracol international that directv offers but the main one from the country.

That channel is on C-band , and it's Videoguard protected, so you won't be able to view it. For C-band channels, a 6 foot dish is the general minimum size , coupled with a C-band lnb and feedhorn. Pretty much any FTA receiver should be able to bring in the signal, but the receiver won't decode the VideoGuard protection, so you won't see anything except a scanned channel, that is scrambled.

That channel is on C-band , and it's Videoguard protected, so you won't be able to view it. For C-band channels, a 6 foot dish is the general minimum size , coupled with a C-band lnb and feedhorn. Pretty much any FTA receiver should be able to bring in the signal, but the receiver won't decode the VideoGuard protection, so you won't see anything except a scanned channel, that is scrambled.

Note on the lyngsat site a little farther down, dated 2009-02-11 that the same channel is unencrypted.
However global-cm lists it as not FTA so.... :rolleyes:

It could be a fruitless venture... or it may pay off. :p :confused:

Lilchichl, the Dish 500 will only work on DBS signals (what the pay-providers use). There are a couple of channels you can receive for free (see HERE), but for FTA you will need at least a 30 inch dish for Ku-Band and a six-foot BUD (Big Useful/Ugly Dish) for C-Band. You can tell C-Band channels from Ku-Band by the frequency... 5 digit transponder frequencies are Ku, and 4 digit are C-Band.

From the lyngsat website how do I tell which are encrypted and which ones are not? I notice that one of the caracols listed said videoguard but another said dvb; I know that I probably won’t be able to see the videoguard one but what about the dvb?

lil>I have turned my fixed c-band dish to that satellite this morning to see what I could pick up. There are 4 Caracol channels, 2 at 3787 and others are at 3800 (well, 3794 on mine) they are all 4 scrambled. I scanned the H-side of the satellite and got over 100 channels, but of those, I can only find DW-TV (German) Euronews, CCTV (China) and a few other test channels that are receivable. The rest are VideoGuard or PowerVu -encrypted. Sorry.

From the lyngsat website how do I tell which are encrypted and which ones are not? I notice that one of the caracols listed said videoguard but another said dvb; I know that I probably won’t be able to see the videoguard one but what about the dvb?

DVB is not an encryption, it is one of three "formats" of digital satellite signals. The other two are Digicipher II (which FTA receivers cannot receive) and DVB-S2 (the new standard of DVB which allows for the use of MPEG-4 h.264). The majority of digital satellite receivers in use receive DVB-S (or plain DVB). On Lyngsat, there is a key at the bottom of the page that details which channels are encrypted and which ones are in the clear, using a color code.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)