What satellite do you tune to the most?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Optical Serenity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
Marietta,GA
I'm in the planning stage for my upcoming FTA setup, and I'm trying to figure out what FTA satellite you have your dish aimed at the most?

I'm not 100% sure if I'll have a motor yet or not, but 95% chance I will.

From the reading on here, seems as though Galaxy 10 is a popular bird, and most of my friends are typically tuned to Intelsat Americas 5.

So, which is it for you, and what channel do you watch the most?

I am on IA5...cuz I watch Persian channels

I use G10, Sbs6, Amazonas, IA6, and IA8.

If i could get Hispasat, i would be on it alot too....

without a motor g10r is a pretty good bird. With a motor you can and do get a lot more though. Nice to pull in Fox & wb affiliates + White Springs and the "election" channel that has cnn, espn, usa, couple of others on it (even if in little bitty boxes that have 6 screens on one channel), goltv, and tons of other channels and news feeds- you won't get all that without a motor or a lot of manual aiming.

I've been on AMC-4 because my wife likes watching RTP.

I like IA-5 for the classic rock music channel.

I was watching Retro Jams on G10R until the 11720 tp got blitzed by Dish increasing power on its 121W satellite. :(

if I ever get my DirecPC dish in, it will be pointed statically at G10R.

I usually motor to G10R, it offers the most variety.

Why not start with a satellite the members have already listed?

G10R seems to win this common question every time!

I have to vote along with almost everyone else and say G-10, for the rtn network. i spend a lot of my time shifting between G-10 and IA-7 for White Springs TV.

3 dishes
#1) IA6 - Gene scott & news feeds
#2) AMC1 - News feeds
#3) G10r - Kojack baby ;)

I would love to get sbs6 but I Have pary of a tree in the way and get a crummy signal or I would be on there as well (mostly for ONN)

I use G10R, but AMC3 is next on the list for me. AMC3 has some very awesome PBS, except the audio is in AC3 so you have to throw a AC3 decoder on the digital coax output on your receiver and then plug the other end into an audio receiver that can decode AC3. MOST of the time, if it has doubly 5.1 it will work. Also note, some FTA receivers already decode AC3.

I am using this Radio Shack audio receiver and it works great. AND it is priced really nice!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104185&cp=2032057.2032180&parentPage=family

Incase the link does not work the model is Accurian ASR-5046 Receiver. I got mine on sale for 100 dollars and it has plenty of power for 4 full range eights.

here are links to whats up there on those birds I mentioned.
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html

You are concerned with the TP umbers that are 5 digit, asuming that you are using KU band. C band is the 4 digit numbers.

Also note that there are color codes at the bottom of the page that lets you know what is free.

I found when starting FTA over a year ago that a larger dish is best to start with as it is a lot easyer to find the birds. A good LNB really makes a differnce as well. I have a 1m channel master dish, a pansat 2700A receiver and a Invacom QPH-031 dual quad LNB-works great.

I did not buy my dish new, I went to a satellite bone yard run by a guy that used to do satellites in the 80s and bought my dish for 25 dollars-it gets no better than that. At any rate, what I am getting at is, I believe that it is a bad idea to spend a lot of money all at once.

On G10R I watch just about everything that is in english. There is a large variety of shows on. RTN, WB, South Park, Kind of the Hill, Fox, UPN, ABC, UPN, the research channles and etc. The only draw back is the late night shows, like after 1am and stuff like that. There is a lot of paid progs. on.

Just about 1/16th of an inch over to the west is horizon 1. I watched a very awesome coverage of the world series on there. The cool thing was that they had EVERYTHING LIVE... ESPN does not have sh*t on this!

Anyways, hope you enjoy your FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)