What satellite for Dish Network

8valve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Adirondack Mts
I would like to switch over to Dish Network as they offer much better pricing on basic package than Direct TV that I have had for the past 6 years.

A few questions;

I want to do a site survey to be sure the Dish Satellite is in view as I have a lot of trees to contend with. What Satellite does Dish Network use for Basic Packages?

I have own my own Direct TV equipment. Is my present dish/lnb/receiver compatible with Dish Network ? If so, I can save money on new equipment and just buy the basic programming package.

Thanks
8Valve

You would be on the Eastern Arc, hitting 61.5°, 72.7° and 77°. Try Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and that should give you an idea where you are shooting. How is life in the ADKS, my family has some places on Cranberry Lake, get up there as much as I can!

Thanks for your information. I am a little lost. What is the eastern Arc ? Is there more than one satellite with Dish Network ? My old Direct TV had just one bird I aimed at for basic service.
Life is really good in the Adirondacks....except trees and satellites LOL

8Valve

Dish Network has two "arcs" the Eastern Arc are the satellites that are located farther to the east, at 61.5, 72, and 77 degrees west. Since you are in the Adirondacks, you would probably be placed on the Eastern Arc since you are in the east, if you have a clear line of sight to the southeastern sky. If not, you may be able to be on the Western Arc which is the constellation of satellites located at 110, 119 and 129 degrees west.
As for your question about if your DirecTV equipment will work with Dish Network, it will not, you will have to have a receiver and satellite dish from Dish Network. I suppose technically that the LNB would work, but you do not need to worry about that.
As stated in the earlier post, dishpointer.com is a good resource to go to.

To the OP..

Since you are in the Adirondacks and I am pretty much due south of you in the Catskills, the west / east aiming of the dish would be pretty close to mine. My dish is pointed almost due south or maybe just very slightly to the east. Since you are further north than I am you will find the satellites a little lower, again to the south.

As stated earlier, you will be aimed at 3 different satellites. 61.5° is to your SSE, 72.7° and 77° are almost due south.

Of course this was no scientific answer but just meant to give you a general idea. This set-up will also give you all the HD and SD channels Dish still provides when you sign up. :p

Was that last sentence meant to be a joke? I'm not so sure.

DIRECTV dish/LNBs are not compatible with Dish network (yes I know some can be made to work as legacy LNBs but would be a science project not just move the dish operation).

To the OP..

Since you are in the Adirondacks and I am pretty much due south of you in the Catskills, the west / east aiming of the dish would be pretty close to mine. My dish is pointed almost due south or maybe just very slightly to the east. Since you are further north than I am you will find the satellites a little lower, again to the south.

As stated earlier, you will be aimed at 3 different satellites. 61.5° is to your SSE, 72.7° and 77° are almost due south.

Of course this was no scientific answer but just meant to give you a general idea. This set-up will also give you all the HD and SD channels Dish still provides when you sign up. :p

Was that last sentence meant to be a joke? I'm not so sure.
Yes, I meant it as a joke. The Adirondacks is mostly heavy forests.
Lots of trees and satellite dishes dont mix well.
8Valve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)