What set-up to go with? Sorry, lots o questions.

Brikp

Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
OK - I have one model 721 connected to two SW21s with a dish 500 and a second dish pointing to 61.5. I want to add back into the mix my old 501. A bit of research has indicated a DP34 switch and a LNBF upgrade to dishpro.

Is this my only option for adding another STB? Well, I suppose there are lots of options. Is this my least expensive option? Will this somewhat future proof me for a switch to HD someday?

Is there a way to have dish do the switch/lnbf swap in exchange for a programming commitment or upgrade? I have been a sub since the model 1000/4000 days. If I did want to farm out the swap to an installer what might it cost, beyond the hardware? (Cables in place)

Would I be better off going to a dual tuner/dual output DVR? If I did that could the HD model down convert on both outputs? Would I be crazy to even consider an HD model w/o an HD set? I suspect likely.

I have always owned my equipment. If I leased a new DVR would they install it for me for free?

Thanks in advance!
B

There are currently good incentives for HD upgrades. Get a 622 now and use that for two locations, one HD the other down-converted HD and SD. That gives you the "future proofing". I'm not sure what HD programming you have now, but to be sure some part of that, and everything new to come along, is/will be in MPEG-4 and your 721 is missing all of that. IIRC, you'll need either DP LNBs and a switch, or a DPP LNB on your 500 and at least a DP dual on your 61.5 dish. All of that will be installed in your upgrade at no additional cost. You'll probably only get the switch option if you have more than 2 sets in your current plan, which you apparently don't.

Welcome, BTW. Go with the 622. You'll never look back...!

There are currently good incentives for HD upgrades. Get a 622 now and use that for two locations, one HD the other down-converted HD and SD. T

Ah, but I do not have an HD set yet. Thats the rub. No sure when I'll take that plunge. Will the 622 support SD on both sets? In other words, will it downconvert HD to SD on TV1?

Also, these dual output STBs. Will they work like my 721 now but from two locations or are there limitations?

I have a Dish 500, a side dish pointed to 148, and 721 and 501 receivers.

To do that, all you need is a DishProPlus Twin LNB.

It includes a switch for the side dish, which is connected directly to the Twin LNB. So the separate 34 switch is not needed.

It has two outputs, one for each receiver, each of which will have all 3 sats, so you only need two cables from the Dish 500 into your house.

The catch is that you will need a DishPro LNB for your 61.5 dish. And you will need a "DishPro Separator" to split the cable for your 721 into feeds for the two inputs.

On ebay, you can get all 3 for about $50.

Summary - you'll need:
- DishProPLUS Twin LNB (be sure it says "Plus")
- DishPro Dual LNB
- DishPro Separator (should have two short RG6 cables attached)

I know all this, because I did exactly the same thing when I changed one of my two 501's to a 721.

PS Future Proofing is difficult - better to just get what you need right when you really need it... If you do not have an HD set, getting a 622 will cost you about $30 a month in feeds for no reason.

<snip>
Summary - you'll need:
- DishPro Dual LNB

<snip>

Thanks kstuart - This will certainly be cheaper than the DP34 route.

One more question - Will the dish need to be re-aligned after swapping an LNB? I have never done a swap of an LNB before. I have tweaked a dish and found it to be a PIA.

No you won't need to re-align the dish. However, you may want to clear the switch matrix on the receivers. It's a good idea to do so when you go from Legacy to Dish Pro or viceversa.

Disconnect the satellite feed and run check switch.
Connect the satellite feed and run check switch.

hgow to connect?

I have a Dish 500, a side dish pointed to 148, and 721 and 501 receivers.

To do that, all you need is a DishProPlus Twin LNB.

It includes a switch for the side dish, which is connected directly to the Twin LNB. So the separate 34 switch is not needed.

It has two outputs, one for each receiver, each of which will have all 3 sats, so you only need two cables from the Dish 500 into your house.

The catch is that you will need a DishPro LNB for your 61.5 dish. And you will need a "DishPro Separator" to split the cable for your 721 into feeds for the two inputs.

On ebay, you can get all 3 for about $50.

Summary - you'll need:
- DishPro Dual LNB

I know all this, because I did exactly the same thing when I changed one of my two 501's to a 721.

OK, I think I have gathered all the parts suggested. I hope I have the correct stuff for an install this week, or weekend.

So, I have two new to me LNBs. The DPP twin has 2 coax, labled 1,2 and LNB-in. The one for the 61.5 sat has two coax connections. The separator has three connectors, 'input', sat in 1 and sat in 2.

The separator goes on the back of the 721 I would assume, or maybe not. Hmm.

OK does anyone have a diagram or a good description of what connects where?

This should work for you:

Attachments

• dpp_02.jpg
    dpp_02.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 192
Thanks, I guess my SW21s go to the trash or on ebay from the look of the drawing. Also, it seems the separator goes to the back of the receiver, not on the roof. Cool. It also seems like the DP Dual output choice does not matter.

OK, One last question. Really, I promise

That picture shows both dishes being "dish 500". My second dish is a dish 300 pointing to 61.5 only. Is that a typo on the drawing or doesn't it matter? I would assume it doesn't matter because the DP Dual only sees one sat, correct?

I take back what I said, the existing 61.5 dish has "dish 500" printed on it and it has a 'Y' on the arm with one LNB attached, I assume I will just swap one LNB for another and use either coax connection. Not enough light to do tonight and I don't want to be offline for 24 this eve! Will try tomorrow afternoon.