What Should I do?

harperjj04

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
All,

I have a interesting situation and wanted to get some feedback from the board as to what I should do.

I have Dish and I love it. There is enough HD for me for right now and if they live up to their promise of having 100 national HD channels I see no need to switch. I live in the Raleigh/Durham, NC market so I already recieve HD locals at no cost, plus I have an OTA and having that extra tuner rocks! Problem is we've sold our house and close on May 29th. I know I get a free Dish Mover with my commitment, but we don't close on the new place until June 30th. During that time period I don't know what to do with my Dish service. We're going to live with my wife's brother for that 4 week period. My 18-month contract ends on August 14, 2008. The service is currently in my name. Should I:

a) cancel the service, lose all my recordings, and pay an ETF that I estimate around $35-$40. Then sign up again under my wife's name and get a brand new 722 and have to sign a new 24-month agreement to get all the current promotions.

b) downgrade to the lowest possible package (dish fam w/no locals and HD access fee which I estimate to be about $27/month) and then take advantage of my free move next month.

c) cancel and switch to Direct TV, I just don't like the idea of paying $199 for a HD-DVR thru Direct and switching to a service I've never had (with their HD lite)

yeah just call up dish and put your account on hold or standby, then reactivate it and do the movers when your settled. I dont remember the exact amount but I think it used to be $10 a month.

Can you put an account on standby when you're on a contract? I didn't think you could do that.

if he is under commitmant he cannot use dish pause unless he is in an act of nature disaster area. drop down to dishfam at 19.99 a month, then you got your dvr fee of 5.98 a month plus 7.00 for your hd access fee. yeah its 32.97 for tv you wont watch, but its cheaper then an ETF or directtv options. in the mean time, this month fill up your dvr. when your in your hotel or whereever your staying, you can plug up your dvr to the tv and still watch your recordings with no sat signal. just press the menu button on your remote control when its on the aquiring sat signal screen then select the option for dish on demand and you can from there get to your dvr recordings. plus, you can still hoop up your OTA to the rec and get your locals too and still record your shows while ur not hooked up to dish.

You should definitely call Dish and explain the situation. If you're a long time customer, they may cut you some additional slack. I've been with Dish for almost 10 years, and was in a contract after a move, when my receiver (921) died. They couldn't come out to install a 622 (and new switch) for ~ 1 month. After the new receiver was installed, they credited me back for the 1 month of service.

you can use dish pause at any time regardless of contract status. I know, cuz I'm doing it right now.

I have two accounts and the one for my main house is on pause right now, while I move to alabama.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)