Status
Please reply by conversation.

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I see on the front page Dish is rolling out new HD channels. I don't get here as often as I used to so if this has been covered forgive me. But what is the deal :devil: Dish adding more channels to HD lineup with we sit with such a limited number on D*? Is this true and why is D* getting their ass kicked in HD if it is true?

Because they have to sucker in new HD customers with ST in HD. There's the bandwidth that would be needed to compete with Dish HD offerings. D* just doesnt have it. As usual they suck hind tit. And its a puny HDlite one at that. Not even a real tit.

Vurbano it has been to long...:p
So we are screwed till the next set of sats go up in 2007? I was never a fan of Dish but dang it is getting frustrating to bend over repeatedly for a product that does not look as good as it did originally.

Have patience the Spaceway satellites have barely been turned over to Directv. It wasn't Directv's fault that the launch of Spaceway 2 was delayed from June 2005 till November2005 or testing kept it tied up till April. The Ka and Mpeg4 are new technologies and they are doing their usual to proceed carefully and positively.

I'm leaving. I'm tired of waiting for more HD while Dish has more and a MPEG 4 DVR. If I knew it was coming real soon and not HD lite I would stay. But I hear nothing.

So true, directv would no doubt make people angry when they miss a projected date for the mpeg 4 dvr, but it would keep a lot of people from switching if they would be more firm with a timetable for it.

I had to call D* yesterday about another matter. Of course I asked the same tired old question...When do we get more HD channels. The CSR told me that when the "new sat IS LAUNCHED they hope to get a lot more channels."

Launched?

Hope??!??!?!?

Thats the story line for D* the past 2 years. Its coming but you have to wait. 2007 is it. Anything else before that is wishful thinking. You might be one of the lucky ones to get HD locals but even that is a waitng game for most markets. All I know 2007 better be thunderous. I've been patient due to HD Tivo and Sunday Ticket HD but I think enough will be enough if they dont deliver. And I dont mean 1 or 2 channels. They need to offer everything available the way they have played this HD potential. Oh, and then some.

HD locals are nice but the quality and audio issues have been aggrivating and disappointing. By the way, I'm in the Atlanta market. I'm considering installing an antenna for OTA and/or switching to Dish.

I battled and struggled but I have an awesome OTA setup. If you can do it, its definately the way to go. Even in 2 years when the HD local stuff settles, I will still use my OTA configuration.

Absolutely. I've had it before at a previous house and the quality is sooo much better.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
Vurbano it has been to long...:p
So we are screwed till the next set of sats go up in 2007? I was never a fan of Dish but dang it is getting frustrating to bend over repeatedly for a product that does not look as good as it did originally.

We are probably all screwed until 4 months after they go up in 2007 giving tesing time. So unless these things are going up really early in 2007 forget about it. When are the launch dates? And pray its a sea launch. If not tack on another 6 month delay.

Last edited:
How long ago was it? Direct TV was saying it was going to be the HD leader with something like 1000 HD channels on TV commercials.I see they stopped running that ad campaign.

mbetts said:
HD locals are nice but the quality and audio issues have been aggrivating and disappointing. By the way, I'm in the Atlanta market. I'm considering installing an antenna for OTA and/or switching to Dish.

Stay with D* and get a good OTA set-up you'll be happy, OTA locals will have no compression were as D* and DISH will.

Moral : No compression means better picture.

Jimbo

MichaelC said:
How long ago was it? Direct TV was saying it was going to be the HD leader with something like 1000 HD channels on TV commercials.I see they stopped running that ad campaign.

The statement was to have a total capacity of 1500 HD LIL and 150 HD national channels after the entire new fleet was deployed.

mbetts said:

I hear that! I am ion Detoit ands wa part of the original roll out in October - got the new HD dish and H20 rec. - looks like sh*t most of the time - locals and pay HD channels are hit and miss...unreal....

megachang said:
I hear that! I am ion Detoit ands wa part of the original roll out in October - got the new HD dish and H20 rec. - looks like sh*t most of the time - locals and pay HD channels are hit and miss...unreal....

I get my Detroit channels pretty well in HD when I decide to go to the Detroit channels using my OTA set up ( 2 doesn't always come in great but the others are fine, from 50 miles away.

I use my TV HD tuner (Sony 60' XBR LCD ) it seem to pick up channels better than my D* receiver (H-10) H-10 does fine for my local locals thou.

I have no need for a H-20 at this time.

Jimbo

Just because you get a channel OTA does not mean it is uncompressed. Many local stations have multicast channels running (dividing up the bandwidth, causes problems during heavy action in HD) which kills the quality of the video.

All I can say is that watching Comcast's HD channels on an LCD or Plasma set blow away my DTV H20 with HD channels. I have had nothing but problems - HDnet seems to be the best channel consistantly. Locals are a joke - the sporatic audio/video synch ruins it all the time. I once was a subscriber to both DTV and BrightHouse - I dumped BrightHouse to go DTV HD all the way - not a good choice so far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)