What to do when promos run out?

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
My promos are due to expire in a few months so my bill will go to about 85.00 plus taxes for the top 250. We have channels we watch in that package that are not in the top 200. It's a 10.00 drop for each package it seems. Not sure what to do? Coming up on my one year with dish.

If you call Dish and say "I could switch to Directv now and save $x", they might help. This worked with Directv, dunno about dish. IMO, if a company wants to keep you, a small discount is a small bargain. I was getting $10 a month off with Directv.

dishfan82 said:
My promos are due to expire in a few months so my bill will go to about 85.00 plus taxes for the top 250. We have channels we watch in that package that are not in the top 200. It's a 10.00 drop for each package it seems. Not sure what to do? Coming up on my one year with dish.

Which channels do you watch in AT250 that are not in AT200? Sometimes (not all the time), these channels can be found a la carte or/and in other packages.

All providers put the good channels in higher packages in order for you to pay more, it's all marketing ploy. Back in the 80s with C-Band you could pretty much have any channel ala-carte, but content providers like Discovery got greedy, and they operate on a all-or-nothing basis. Directv or Dishnet could probably make many channels ala-carte, it was actually a hot topic about 5 years ago, but they loose too much money that way.

Would like to know why you think you should not adhere to the terms of the promo/agreement you signed up for.

Nah not going to leave after a year. I will stick around my full 2 years but I will ask for a deal around then. I'll get to shop around at least If dish offers me nothing after 2 years.

If you had the promo price for a year and try to leave after just one year, you should be hit with the ETF. If this happens, you are not saving anything since you will be charged $210.

I was thinking the same, looks like OP sees that too. From time to time word will spread on this site about deals/credits of some sort, though all that is subject to your current standing, history, time with dish and such

And even then a new contract is not always required but it is the most used time Dish wants a new contract.

dishfan82 said:
Nah not going to leave after a year. I will stick around my full 2 years but I will ask for a deal around then. I'll get to shop around at least If dish offers me nothing after 2 years.
So if they offer nothing after two yrs of discounted tv? Are you serious?! And your welcome for myself and others who subsidize your discounted tv.

All providers put the good channels in higher packages in order for you to pay more, it's all marketing ploy. Back in the 80s with C-Band you could pretty much have any channel ala-carte, but content providers like Discovery got greedy, and they operate on a all-or-nothing basis. Directv or Dishnet could probably make many channels ala-carte, it was actually a hot topic about 5 years ago, but they loose too much money that way.

There is some truth to that statement about a marketing ploy. The truth is that Dish doesn't have much of a choice where some of the channels are located. The networks that own the channels negotiate with Dish where the channels should be placed. I would say that the most popular channels are actually in the AT120 already. The AT200 is about the same but adds more sports channels, which cost Dish more so they place them in a higher package. Then the AT250 have more niche channels that the majority of people do not care for and do not care to pay extra for. The people who really want to watch those channels are required to pay a little more for them. For a lucky few their favorite channels may be in one of the few a la carte packages Dish has.

So if they offer nothing after two yrs of discounted tv? Are you serious?! And your welcome for myself and others who subsidize your discounted tv.

With Dish it's only one year of discounts. I'm not the type to up and run after a two year agreement but I can understand why some people do. I was with Direct for 7 years. I had my promos at the beginning then just paid my bill the rest of the time I was with them.

I was always looking around for a better deal. I just decided to stay on till just recently. I'm not going to jump on someone for wanting a better deal(after his contract is up). None of us know what his situation is. I don't know why people have a problem when someone leaves after their two years for a better deal. It's just TV guys you can be loyal if you want but don't jump down someones throat for wanting to save money. Especially in this day and age. Now I do believe he needs to stick with his contract and finish it. Then it's open season.

Dish targets new customers on their promos and pricing. You can get freebies and some promo pricing, but you have to look for the offers either by contact with a local retailer or constant reading of sites like this one. Dish will not make most offers known to the general public.

To the OP, you can safely ignore those that insist on saying 'just pay the full price'! You may end up doing that, but there is exactly no reason not to call/chat to see what kind of discounts or credits you might be able to get. This is strictly a pay for service kind of business and if Dish ends up giving you some additional discounts or whatever, there is no legal, moral or ethical reason not to take them or ask for them.

Of course what you might get is determined by a lot of factors.
1. Your standing with Dish
2. The mood of the CSR when you call
3. How you approach them
4. Last but not least, what answer the Magic 8 Ball gives them when they check it. :)

When I was with Dish, I almost never paid the full price for a month of service. Always some sort of discount, sometimes very small, sometimes much more, but always something.

Same as it is with me and DirecTV now. I call, they give me discounts when I ask nicely.

Current Pricing for Two Hoppers Two Joey's

Dish website keeps asking me to update my email address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)