What to do with my H w/ sling ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MichaelK

Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
PA - USA
I have a 'HPRSLNG', according to the myequipment page. I think that's a Hopper 2 w/ the Sling adapter built-in -- correct?
I've been considering going OTA for local channels. So, it looks like I need the adapter and an antenna. OK.

While checking out the offerings on dish's store, I noticed the Snap (a device that plugs into the USB port and "speeds up the UI performance on Hopper 1, Hopper 2, and connected Joeys. It brings performance on par with the latest model Hopper." <= ... which I believe is the Hopper 3.
I thought, "Yes, I need that!" Most of the time I use the guide or DVR, there is a lag of 2 - 8 seconds till it responds. However the Snap works, it would be great to speed that up.

One little problem -- the blurb states that they both need to use the same USB port (the top one). I had a nice discussion with a dish rep to confirm this; the conclusion was that "The Hopper snap has to be on the back but the OTA can go in the front." Can someone confirm this?

Furthermore, I have 2 external HDs. I suppose that I can put them on a usb hub (only 1 is used at a time).

Ok -- at this point, I'm wondering if anyone has an suggestions.
Plan A: Keep my Hopper, and get the Snap.
Plan B: Request a Hopper 3.
Plan C: ?

One other issue: if I do go with plan B, can I transfer the internal HD? It's at about 80%, with various shows that have to keep. Or, will I have to transfer them to an EHD (then transfer to the 3)?

As Hip said, the OTA adapter can use the bottom USB slot. I have two HWS's set up that way.

I have an H3 but I think the situation is the same for the H2. I have a Seagate w/built in hub. I connected the Seagate to the bottom port (which is USB3 on an H3) and plugged my AirTV OTA adapter into the front of the Seagate. Works great and saves one of my USB ports. :D

When I received the Snap module and inserted it into the top USB port, I intended to use my HUB for the OTA module but it wouldn't work (HWS couldn't find the OTA module). So, I used the bottom USB port for the OTA and the front port for the Hub where all my HD's are connected and everything works. Just another way of doing things.

When I received the Snap module and inserted it into the top USB port, I intended to use my HUB for the OTA module but it wouldn't work (HWS couldn't find the OTA module). So, I used the bottom USB port for the OTA and the front port for the Hub where all my HD's are connected and everything works. Just another way of doing things.
hmmm ... That's interesting.
So, it sounds like the front port is the same as the rear ports. The dish tech reps should know this.

hmmm ... That's interesting.
So, it sounds like the front port is the same as the rear ports. The dish tech reps should know this.
The Dish reps... and reps for most call centers, should really know a lot more than they do. It’s hard to have people really knowledgeable, however, when a call center typically has an extremely high turnover rate. Turns out most people do not like being yelled at and told off by customers for $15/hour with no recourse.

While we're talking about OTA, I'd like to ask about solutions to get guide info for those channels. Reading some other posts here, I learned that the guide won't have details about the shows.
Zap2It was mentioned.
I'd like an Android app.

While we're talking about OTA, I'd like to ask about solutions to get guide info for those channels. Reading some other posts here, I learned that the guide won't have details about the shows.
Zap2It was mentioned.
I'd like an Android app.
I actually prefer TitanTV:

We're on our fourth DMA since January, and I don't recall the EPG not having data for the locals after it updated. Online I prefer TVTV.US, but Titan is good also. I haven't tried the app though...
I have used Titan on line for years to help me keep up with my DVR schedule. I am going to download the app for my smart phone too.

We're on our fourth DMA since January, and I don't recall the EPG not having data for the locals after it updated. Online I prefer TVTV.US, but Titan is good also. I haven't tried the app though...

TVTV doesn't have some sub channels listed here in columbus oh..titan is okay but I found guide plus tv best for me.7 day guide and you can edit what channels you want ... android link..

Reactions: NYDutch
NYDutch, I downloaded the Titan app in my Android smart phone. I was able to log in with my same into that I use in the on line Titan. It works great, goes right to my favorites list.

Reactions: HipKat and NYDutch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)