What to do with unused receivers?

inDream

Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
I currently have a stash of about 50 or so receivers, mostly 301/311's and 322's with other thrown in randomly. I don't want to throw them away, I'd like to think that there is some value left in these. Would putting them all in one big eBay auction get me any money? I just don't know what to do with them.

Most are used, some are new but not in the box.

Some are RA's that never got finished, some are NIB receivers that I took out of the box to save room when storing. A company shut down and took off with everyones money and I was left with all these in storage.

Individual auctions will yield more than 1 auction. You might contact DISH to find out who owns them, they probably belong to DISH Network as leased receivers.

I know that with Dishdepot.com if you want to buy a new receiver that he will take trade ins towards the new receiver. I have done business with Mark for over 4 years now and he pays for the shipping both ways and if you don't live in Florida there is no tax on the entire purchase. Maybe you could try writing Mark an email and see what he would offer you towards a new receiver . Then there is always ebay if you want to sell them.

www.dishdepot.com

I'll resort to eBay I guess. Thanks for the help.

I would do the DishDepot thing but I don't have Dish and I have no intentions of ever getting it.

I'll resort to eBay I guess.
To repeat what has already been mentioned, those receivers may have simply been "on loan" to the retailer or installer and are still owned by Dish. You could sell them to someone and when they call Dish to activate, Dish tells them it's a "leased" box and they won't activate it. That person is then probably stuck with it.... All you can do then is refund them their money and tell them to throw the unit in the trash.

Some are RA's that never got finished, some are NIB receivers that I took out of the box to save room when storing. A company shut down and took off with everyones money and I was left with all these in storage.

How do you know that sone of the boxes are RA's if you were just storing them for some one else? I think there is more to the story, I am sorry if I am wrong but something just does not sound right.

Because I did RA's for a company that shut down and stopped answering calls. When they did so, they came to the storage shed and took most of the receivers and what was left was mostly RA's but some where new. The manager said they were to throw them away because the guy who shut it down didn't want them. So I took em home instead and now I'm stuck with them.

Lets face it, this is stolen equipment this guy is trying to get rid of. Im sure if the retailer who this person got this equipment from knew he was in possession of it, they would want it back.

Installers don't "Store" equipment for their retailers, retailers give equipment to installers to install for their customers, and if for some reason its not used on an installation the installer is susposed to return the equipment to the retailer.

What many times happens is that these retailers get so big they have no inventory control, and over several months the installers start to accumulate their own little stockpile of equipment that they never turn in.

I understand this retailer owes this guy money, but its no reason for this guy to steal from him. The retailer probably had several installers, and if each guy has got 50 receivers valued at an average of $100+ then your talking almost $30,000 in equipment not turned in!

The sad thing is that most of this stuff will end up on ebay, and further devalue this type of equipment than it already is!

Lets face the facts here, here is the dealer cost on a few items...

301/311 New..........$99
301/311 Reman.......$79
522/625 New...........$319
522/625 Reman.......$300
DPP 44 Switch..........$159
SW21.......................$16

Everyday I talk to people who want to buy DISH Network parts and accessories and im told they can get it cheaper on ebay. The fact of the matter is if you see these parts cheaper than the prices I have listed here, its stolen!

Do you really want to be in possession of stolen equipment? Chances are you'll never get caught when it comes to a Switch or LNB, but the receivers all have serial numbers which can be traced right back to you the second its activated on your DISH Network account.

If I might add something, even if the Dishstore went out of business tomorrow, there is no way im going to throw away, or tell an employee to throw away perfectly good inventory, especially 50 receivers.

Reguardless if the equipment works or not, it can always be returned to Dish and they will send out a replacement receiver that is factory referbished.

Also all RA's would be handeled by the retailer directly, there would be no need for them to be handeled off site or by an installer.

Its just like at my office, all the bad equipment my installers bring back is put in a pile right behind my desk and every few weeks I test them out and get return authorization numbers

The only time I would ever even consider throwing away a piece of equipment is if it was a 2800/3900 was missing the access card considering that to order a new access card is $64 when ordered from DISH Network, which is more than the cost of the receiver!

Lets face the facts here, here is the dealer cost on a few items...

301/311 New..........$99
301/311 Reman.......$79
522/625 New...........$319
522/625 Reman.......$300
DPP 44 Switch..........$159
SW21.......................$16

Everyday I talk to people who want to buy DISH Network parts and accessories and im told they can get it cheaper on ebay. The fact of the matter is if you see these parts cheaper than the prices I have listed here, its stolen!

Claude,

I beg to differ on your blanket statemet.

I have purchased NEW in the box from Radio Shack (for example) 311 kits (with dish, lnb & ird) for $49.95 (July 2006) and 301 kits as well at the same price.

I have also purchased in the store, new 625 irds for $255. I don't believe the ones I bought from Radio SHack stores in the Carolinas and in Florida were stolen. I don't believe the 625 I bought from a legitimate dealer (store front) were stolen. All are registered on my account.

Many dealers have paid for their inventory and ne4ed to get out of the satellite business or need to liquidate inventory to get cash. This happens with all types of resellers.

This happens all the time and it is fairly easy to determine legitimate dealers versus stolen or n'er do wells.

I just got quotes on a 1000.2 and a ViP211 from legitimate dealers with a huge varience in price (including delivery charges). I have not yet purchased, but there is a HUGE difference!!!!

Why do I buy on the net? The couple of dealers close to me don't care for my business. I was in the local stores a week ago. Store #1...sorry the guy that sells the sat stuff is on holidays this week. Store #2...you did not buy your original stuff from us (I was looking for a 1000.2 only), so just call Dish Network to buy your dish or receivers. Store #3...we only do new customers.

I basically have no option but to buy when I am on the road or to "mail order". I do my due dilegence to ensure I am dealing with a legit store. Not everyone who sells something below cost is selling stolen goods!!!!

Vis