What to Expect from Google at the 2011 CES

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
What to Expect from Google at the 2011 CES
The 2011 CES is Thursday to Sunday and over 2,000 big names in electronics and technology manufactures will be there, including Google, of course. While Google has made some serious announcements in the past few months, the company apparently has more major announcements to make and apparently will do so at the upcoming 2011 CES. So what should consumers expect form Google this year?

What type of hardware will Google announce?

The Google Chrome OS Netbook announcement was already made, but apparently, more announcements are on the way. Everyone expects Google to officially announce other Chrome OS-based netbooks this year and the company has reportedly partnered with HP, Asus and Samsung to develop them. While no real details are available yet, speculation has it that because the netbooks will have Chrome OS installed, the devices will not require too much processing power, meaning it presumably can run a CPU as "slow" as an Arm Cortex, an older model. This also means the netbooks would not be powerful enough for the new 4G/LTE network-the biggest trend in mobile communications this year. No prices are available, but given Google's history, these netbooks will probably run at about $199 to $399 from the various manufacturers.

What about the Google TV?

Google TV has been in the news for weeks now and the current expectations from Google is that it will announce its partnership with Vizio, reportedly the first official television manufacturer to offer the Google TV brand. This announcement comes at a very big surprise because earlier reports stated that Google had told other Google TV manufacturers to not announce their versions of the Google TV offerings at the 2011 CES. The Vizio-Google televisions will offer consumers full Web browsing capabilities right from the televisions, something that other set-top boxes-Apple TV-do not offer.

More Google TV Announcements?

Yes, not only are Vizio and Google working on releasing the first Google TV, but they are also set to release Google TV 3-D apps as well as start offering Android on the Google TV based-3-D television products. Apparently, the Android developers will be working on apps that will allow Google TV users of Vizio products to link all its Android based and Vizio devices together while focusing on the 3D ability of the Vizio televisions. The apps will feature 3-D gaming and will have various prices, which are not known yet.

What else is Google announcing?

Music lovers will apparently have an Android-based iPod alternative this year since Google is expected to release a Honeycomb Music Player at the 2011 CES. An early version of the Android Honeycomb Music Player APK is already available, but according to the early tests, it has many bugs. Speculation has it that Google will release a full, non-buggy version at the 2011 CES. The player will reportedly allow users to stream music from a desktop and from Web applications in the cloud right to an Android smartphone -- something n o other music layer offers. The honeycomb Music Player will apparently be free to use, although prices for individual music will vary according to the artist.

What else is expected from Google this year?

Google would be remiss at not lending its Android-based operating system to various other mobile devices, and the list this year is longer than ever. While the devices are not made by Google itself, the Android operating system that runs the various devices is. They are also the first devices to feature the newest Android Honeycomb OS, all of which will be announced at the 2011 CES. The various offerings include HTC, Motorola, LG, Enspert and Vizio, among others.

HTC is releasing the Thunderbolt and the EVO Shift 4G smartphones and the Scribe tablet PC LG is releasing a yet unnamed tablet and a rumored smartphone named the LG B Mobile Phone. Motorola is releasing the Olympus. And Enspert is releasing a yet unnamed Tablet PC. Vizio is not only releasing the Google TV and related devices, but it is also entering the smartphone and tablet market with Android Honeycomb based devices called "Via." No prices are set for any of the devices yet.

DustoMan said:
I guess there's a GoogleTV/Logitech Revue booth according to GTV's twitter account. Can anyone do a drive by and see if they are showing anything new by chance?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm just on the verge of ordering one but I would like to know if there's anything new to report.

Last I heard was the Netflix update that Scott broke the news on a month or so back. Anything else new happening? Where are all these apps I've been hearing about?

Oh crap, on second thought! Scott- DON'T GO THERE! Send someone else. You show up and let on that you were the one that leaked the beta update... who knows what they might do! lol

(Logitech Guy - I have a nice pair of cement shoes for you to wear to the Hover Dam.)

(Logitech Guy - I have a nice pair of cement shoes for you to wear to the Hover Dam.)
Hover Dam? I wish I had Photoshop so I could work up the image for that...

Seriously, though, but entirely off-topic, did any of the SatGuys take a half-day and drive across the new bridge bypassing Hoover Dam (and maybe take some pictures?)

So I guess there was nothing newsworthy to report concerning the Revue at CES? That makes me even more unsure about buying one.
The Slingplayer for GoogleTV was cool. Full 1080i from your HD Slingbox (or 922 or 722 with Sling adapter) :)

I will try to get video up tomorrow showing it off.

The Slingplayer for GoogleTV was cool. Full 1080i from your HD Slingbox (or 922 or 722 with Sling adapter) :)

I will try to get video up tomorrow showing it off.
I watched the video you posted, Scott. The Slingplayer app on a GoogleTV would be the "killer app" that would make me buy a the Logitech box. But Dish really should ape DirecTV and allow the ViP receivers to pull content off each other!

Foxbat said:
Hover Dam? I wish I had Photoshop so I could work up the image for that...

Seriously, though, but entirely off-topic, did any of the SatGuys take a half-day and drive across the new bridge bypassing Hoover Dam (and maybe take some pictures?)

I wasn't I CES but I took a roadtrip to the Grand Canyon after Christmas and hit up Vegas for New Years on the way back. The new bypass is awful. They built the walls so high on the sides that you see nothing of the dam. (I'm assuming they did this for security reasons, but it seriously was a disappointment. My friend had her camera out and ready, but there was nothing to shoot.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)