What TV to put Hooper on?

mopar_mudder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Wisconsin
I have an install scheduled for the 22nd, going to give it a try. We have 3 TV, the main two that we use are in the living room and theater, living room being 80% of the time. My plan was to put the Hopper in the equipment rack in the theater room and a Joey for the living room. Then I got to wondering if things work and faster or better direct from the Hopper then they do from the Joey. If the Hopper does work faster or more features I would put that in the living room.

Hopper has PIP and will one day have Bluetooth for headphones & hearing aids. Not sure if Jpeys will ever get BT.

put it in the equipment cost.

there's little to no difference in the hopper/Joey interface and I think the Joey is passively cooled.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's a matter of faster. The Hopper can do PIP, while the Joey can not for instance. You mention three TV's, what is at the other one? If you are supplying three TV's did you consider two Hoppers and a Joey?

I don't think it's a matter of faster. The Hopper can do PIP, while the Joey can not for instance. You mention three TV's, what is at the other one? If you are supplying three TV's did you consider two Hoppers and a Joey?

2H/1J would be awesome! Now if only someone could officially confirm its existence. We know some of our members have gotten it...and it makes all the sense in the world to go that route.

I really wish I could have gotten the 2Hopper/1 Joey configuration but I wasn't able to sell it.... I've already found 1 instance where it would have made my life easier. Now, if and when the OTA dongle is activated, life will be better....

I really wish I could have gotten the 2Hopper/1 Joey configuration but I wasn't able to sell it.... I've already found 1 instance where it would have made my life easier. Now, if and when the OTA dongle is activated, life will be better....

That's what I've been saying all along...one Hopper simply won't be enough for most homes, whether they realize it before the install or not. You are correct about OTA being a help once that is available.

It will be a 1 Hopper 2 Joey Set-up. I did consider the 2 Hopper deal but didn't want to fork out the extra cash for it, and they don't work together right now so I would gain nothing doing the upgrade. My entire reason for doing this is to share DVR from theater to living room, also I have a gut feeling it will be a long time before they make them work together. Also most of what I have seen says you have to gave 1 Joey with each Hopper, it was mainly the extra $100 that held me back. So we will try this for now and maybe in the future I will swap out a Joey for a Hopper if it can be done.

Not really worried about the PIP because that takes up another tunner so I can't do it any ways. We can't use it now with our 622 because 2 TV's are run off from it.

It will be a 1 Hopper 2 Joey Set-up. I did consider the 2 Hopper deal but didn't want to fork out the extra cash for it, and they don't work together right now so I would gain nothing doing the upgrade. My entire reason for doing this is to share DVR from theater to living room, also I have a gut feeling it will be a long time before they make them work together. Also most of what I have seen says you have to gave 1 Joey with each Hopper, it was mainly the extra $100 that held me back. So we will try this for now and maybe in the future I will swap out a Joey for a Hopper if it can be done.

Not really worried about the PIP because that takes up another tunner so I can't do it any ways. We can't use it now with our 622 because 2 TV's are run off from it.

If money was the reason, I can understand, however the Joey can see both Hoppers right now, just not all six tuners at the same time. You can tell the Joey which Hopper to see. I know the track record of Dish, believe me, but it was stated it is a priority, and in this case I do believe the full integration is not far off. Everyone has their priorities, mine would be two Hoppers and for me $100 would be worth it to have back-up and three more tuners for the same $7 a month.

If money was the reason, I can understand, however the Joey can see both Hoppers right now, just not all six tuners at the same time. You can tell the Joey which Hopper to see. I know the track record of Dish, believe me, but it was stated it is a priority, and in this case I do believe the full integration is not far off. Everyone has their priorities, mine would be two Hoppers and for me $100 would be worth it to have back-up and three more tuners for the same $7 a month.

It's $100 plus the first $100 you have to pay for upgrade. I have a hard enough time paying the $100 upgrade penalty for being a good customer, thanks Dish. But their is still the problem of trying to get 2 hoppers and 1 joey, which I heard is not suppose to be possible but has been done acarding to some. I think we will be OK with 3 tunners seeing as we are only using 2 now as don't have any major issues. I don't plan on using PTAT because we don't record much for network shows.

put it in the equipment cost.

Well, my 622 is in my home theater rack, and I am NOT going to put a Hopper there. Since I only use the HT occasionally I don't cool it like the rest of the house, and have killed a few 622 hard drives when I left the HTPC running with the door closed... So if you only need one Hopper, I would put it out in the open - Dish just makes things that run too hot!

Well, my 622 is in my home theater rack, and I am NOT going to put a Hopper there. Since I only use the HT occasionally I don't cool it like the rest of the house, and have killed a few 622 hard drives when I left the HTPC running with the door closed... So if you only need one Hopper, I would put it out in the open - Dish just makes things that run too hot!

I have fans in my rack with a thermostat. Currently have a 722 in it with no issues at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)