Which receiver to buy??

wildmustang2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
KY
I now have a 301 and an older superdish(in KY). I also have a contract without HD. I want to purchase a dual tuner dvr but don't know what to get. I recently acquired a dish 500 dish with dpp lnb. Should I install this dish before I get another receiver or will superdish be OK? Also, I don't understand about MPEG and NON MPEG. Can you explain?

both the super dish and the dish 500 receive 110 and 119, and either one is fine if you only want SD programming. if you want HD you have a few options.

1- replace super dish with a dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 (depends on what arc your HD locals are on)

2- leave the super dish and point the dish 500 at 129 with a dp single or dual lnb. and connect to the unused 105 or 121 port on your dp34.

even if you only want SD programing I would get a 722 or 722k (can be found pretty cheap on ebay) then if you want to upgrade to HD later you can..

even if you only want SD programing I would get a 722 or 722k (can be found pretty cheap on ebay) then if you want to upgrade to HD later you can..
May be a good place to note being very wary of getting receivers for too cheap on eBay as they may be leased from Dish, not owned by the seller.

I have 2 sd tvs and want to be able to view different programs on each. If I get a 722, will the superdish I have now work with it? I guess I want to know if a HD receiver will work with sd antenna and sd programming.

There is no straight answer, but yes it can. You will get the best, most accurate answer if you email a Dish Rep from this site. They are the most knowledgeable, can look up your account and give you accurate pricing and what equipment you need. Keep in mind the general consensus is normally you do not want to purchase the receiver, but there are exceptions.

Would 522, 622, 625, 922, 942 be viable options? I want to be able to view 2 separate programs on 2 separate tvs.

Setup the d500 and connect that to your receiver. Then you can get a DP lnb and modify the superdish to point @129 and connect to the IN on the DPP LNB if you ever want to add HD.

722 will work fine with just the d500. you can then connect your OTA and have those in HD.

Would 522, 622, 625, 922, 942 be viable options? I want to be able to view 2 separate programs on 2 separate tvs.

The 942 is no longer an active receiver so stay away from that!As mentioned earlier 722 would be the best choice.Its HD capable in case you decide in the future to go HD.It supports 2 tv output and works with SD just fine.The 722 is perhaps the most solid receiver that Dish has.

942 is kind of outdate, you probably don't want that one. Be wary of your current dish, you may have to run a second coax from the dish to the receiver if you cannot attach the DPP twin (if it is a twin you recently received) and use a DPP separator to feed the two inputs on the dual tuner receivers.

Dish, Hopper and RSN

What TV to put Hooper on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)