Dish, Hopper and RSN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

larryf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
Can one of you who claims to know things about Dish that others do not tell me what Dish is going to do with the RSN"S. Fox Southwest is well over 50% of our viewing and I do not want to upgrade to Hopper/Joey with a new contract if there is ANY chance my RSN might go away. I have been with Dish for 12 years and out of contract for most of that time. This has worked well for me since I could always leave if they screwed me over on the programming I wanted. Would like to stay and have the newest hardware, but lately Dish scares me with their sports programming decisions. Does anyone know where this is going in the next two years?

I have not heard of anything that says they would drop it. Scott may know if anything was being talked about. If you're worried about being under contract then purchase all the equipment.

Not worried about a contract if it means anything. Would be kind of stupid to purchase equipment and then leave. Just want to know where Dish stands on RSN"s before locking in with them. Doesn't seem too much to ask.

Will Direct TV tell you they will have your RSN for the length of a contract? Will Comcast, Charter or Fios? As far as disputes go the NY RSN's seem to be the area of contention. But if you are looking for probability, Dish is most likely not to agree right away to a contract they feel is too high.
It can't be said too often, if sports is your main interest or a very high interest, go with Direct TV.

It's not too much to ask and a smart question but if Dish hasn't stated any disputes with them then all we can say is there should not be a problem. I have no reason to believe they will drop the channel but there is nothing saying that Dish may not have a dispute with them in the near future.

In the fall of 2010 Dish had a contract dispute with Fox that knocked several of the RSNs, including Fox Southwest, off the system for a few weeks. That was resolved and the new contract undoubtedly has several years remaining.

Assuming you're in north Texas and watching the Rangers and Mavericks, then everything should continue as is. But if you're in south Texas, a major change is on the horizon. The Astros and Rockets will be moving to a new RSN started by Comcast. That means they no longer with be on Fox Southwest/Houston starting in the fall of 2012.

The new network will have to work out a carriage deal with Dish and other carriers. Who knows how that will go and whether some games will be missed before they get it resolved.

With the lockout, Dish was nice in my opinion to give some free premiums for a few months with a chat about the lockouts along with giving subs access to the channels in the MultiSport add-on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)