What type r6 to use

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mcsmith

Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I want to upgrade from r59 to r6 in my house. Is the standard stuff at HD and Lowes ok to use. Should I get the quad stuff or the cheaper 75ohm stuff.

Anywhere you can buy it cheaply is fine just make sure its rated to 3000 mhz (which almost all rg6 sold these days is). All rg6 has a rating of 75 ohms so that shouldn't affect price.

Any RG6 that was swept to 2.25ghz is fine...3ghz is better for future proofing.... Quad shield is totally unnecessary and mostly just marketing hype..... not to mention a pain to work with for most technicians. In fact, someone brought in a sample of some really expensive quad shielded RG-6 that a customer had run all through his house.... it had this nice, stiff fancy looking bright blue jacketing and some really thick braiding... looked sorta like Monster Cable (the section they brought in wasn't branded, but now that I think about it, it MIGHT have been Monster Cable brand RG-6).... well, we stripped the cable and played around with it and not only was it REALLY hard to put fittings on because the jacketing was so stiff, we found that you could pull the core right out of the cable with your fingers!... that is not a good thing. This guy paid thousands of dollars to have this special cable run throughout his house.....

My statements are assuming you are mainly running wires for Satellite TV, Cable TV/Internet and/or VoIP.

The only reason I would run "special" cable would be if I were considering Satellite Internet.... in which case you have to be running solid core cable... but I will never have Satellite internet so I don't even factor it in to my suggestion.

1 suggestion for you though.... if you're going to be replacing all your cable anyway... RUN 2 CABLES to every possible TV location.... yes, it's twice as expensive for materials, but it would be a damn shame to run all that wire only to find out afterwards that

1. 1 of the wires is damaged and not working properly
2. You need another cable coming in to add new technology

My last suggestion... avoid using splitters if at all possible...
If you ARE going to use splitters, place them in your ON-Q box (or whatever your central location for the wiring junction is going to be), and run home runs from that central location to each jack....then run at least 3-4 wires from there to the outside of your house (the more the better!)

Edit: BTW, if your junction point is going to be in your attic, do yourself(and anyone else who works on your system in the future) a favor and put it right there, next to the attic entrance :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)