What will Dish do about HBO?

Well, HBO's exclusive with Apple TV is a real head scratch-er. They probably won't do anything for a while. Just sit back and observe. Don't think Apple is going to jump start their TV with this maneuver.

Last edited:
Stupid, stupid move by HBO not to launch on Roku.

I have HBO and Cinemax for $20 combined so I see this as $15 HBO, $5 Cinemax and I still get HBOGO and MAXGO. (unless Cinemax is included in HBO Now)

Plus ability to record movies and save them is a bonus that HBO Now probably won't have.

My biggest question, and it may very well be irrelevant, will Cinemax be included in the hbo standalone service? Conemax doesn't have any original programming that I know of, just movies, so that is why it could be irrelevant.

Never heard of them... Are they advertised on other channels ever, or am I just living in a hole?

Sure it does, Banshee and Strike Back among a few others.

I've had Skinemax for years and never watched their original programming - with kids and a busy house, time is limited so, for premium shows, I stick with Game of Thrones on HBO (free weekends - the DVR is cranking) and Black Sails on Starz (BB@Home). I have always had Max/BB on some kind of promo or half off deal. I simply can't fathom how people pay full price for this stuff. Even $15 for HBO seems like a stretch.

I've had Skinemax for years and never watched their original programming - with kids and a busy house, time is limited so, for premium shows, I stick with Game of Thrones on HBO (free weekends - the DVR is cranking) and Black Sails on Starz (BB@Home). I have always had Max/BB on some kind of promo or half off deal. I simply can't fathom how people pay full price for this stuff. Even $15 for HBO seems like a stretch.

Neither of the shows I mentioned are kids fare. ;)

I got a deal from Comcast that included all the premiums. Don't think I would pay full price.

While I had Cmx for a while, I recorded and really enjoyed Strike Back, Have them on my EHD.

I guess I should take advantage of premiums while I have them. Upset I am losing all my specials come May.

Comcast is lowering their HBO from $18.95 to the $14.99 price ,so they won't lose subs. IF DISH keeps there HBO at $19.00 they will only lose more subs to cord cutting. I for one, will use the internet version, if I can't get DISH to give it to me 1/2 price or free like I've been doing for the last few years.

Launching on Apple is about the stupidest platform they could go with. Should have went Android and/or Roku where there is an actual installed customer base and a good percentage of cord cutters.

Reactions: GaryPen
Launching on Apple is about the stupidest platform they could go with. Should have went Android and/or Roku where there is an actual installed customer base and a good percentage of cord cutters.

You really should have done a little googling... :)

As of 9/2014, Roku had sold 10M units and Apple has an installed base of 20M and had $1B in revenues from it. So if only one was going to get it, Apple was the right choice.
Here's a nice article about it:
http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...-roku-apple-tv-fire-tv-chromecast-1201303129/

So does this mean that HBO Go is being re-branded HBO Now or is HBO Go going away all together to promote HBO Now ? I can't really find any information. I hope things stay the same for current subscribers who like their current set up.

Currently, I can thru Charter Cable, upgrade to their Silver package and get HBO, Cinemax and Showtime Channels, ALL channels that said providers offer, for $10 more per month. I suppose they will raise their rates at some point, but it does surprise me that a cable co has better pricing for all those channels than the actual provider of the channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)