What Will DISH Do Next?

That's a fair article in fact the same questions we have been asking and speculating about. My thought is Charlie has pulled rabbits out of his a few times is this one of those times? Maybe it will happen but it sure looks like the Amazon connection is going nowhere, the best company that could be partnered with or eventually take over DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's a fair article in fact the same questions we have been asking and speculating about. My thought is Charlie has pulled rabbits out of his a few times is this one of those times? Maybe it will happen but it sure looks like the Amazon connection is going nowhere, the best company that could be partnered with or eventually take over DISH.
I wish DISH TV would do a turn around and get more customers. So sad, to me DISH has the best DVR and I would hate for another company to take over.

I wish DISH TV would do a turn around and get more customers. So sad, to me DISH has the best DVR and I would hate for another company to take over.

I was not thrilled in the past with the parade of names supposedly possible partners for DISH but Amazon is the one, I think they more than anyone will be customer responsive and truly innovative just as they are with their company now. And they have the money to do it.

All they have to do, is DROP all the phony fee's, and I'd bet they'd get a LOT more customers.

The thing is, we have no idea what they need to make in order to stay profitable. If they got rid of the so-called "phony" I wouldn't be surprised if all the packages went up in price to make up for it.

Is any other provider offering a product that allows you to watch different programming on multiple TVs in HD with a DVR that's as good as the Hopper and charging less? I know there are some streaming options that seem to be pretty good but they are not as good as the Hopper.

All they have to do, is DROP all the phony fee's, and I'd bet they'd get a LOT more customers.

We're still waiting for that satellite company that you're going to start up that's going to be cheaper and better than DISH, and of course it won't have any fees. Just let us know when we can start signing up.

And please, don't start preaching about how much better streaming is because it isn't, and this is satelliteguys after all.

Look, I agree that the FEES are killing DISH. What good is a having a great Dvr receiver like the Hopper 3 , if your customers don't want to pay the high fees associated with it to use it? I said it before and I will say it again: DISH needs GROWTH if it is to survive. There is simply no way to sustain the company the way it is. IF you would drop the monthly fees for the joeys once a customer buys them , you would see more people upgrade to the hopper and the joey system. Allow those who don't want to own the joey still pay the monthly fees if that is their choice. Your monthly fees shouldn't equal your programming costs . It makes you pay twice as much for your programming. Back in the early part of the last decade, DISH charged NO dvr fees on their 501 dvrs. They added like 2 million subs in one year due to the fact that they had NO DVR fee at all , where Directv was charging like $9.50 a month for their dvr. Doing what they are doing right now has done nothing for growth and each quarter losses show it is not working. Now the Amazon Firestick tv is a good start ,but having only one stream available is not enough to make this solution work for most families. They need to renegotiate the deals so they can have up to 3 streams at a time work . You allow this and the joey solution and I have suggested and build an Advertisement campaign around it and you would see more sub Growth and less Churn. Because doing things the same way and expecting a different outcome is the very definition of insanity. Certainly even Charlie must see this by now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Look, I agree that the FEES are killing DISH. What good is a having a great Dvr receiver like the Hopper 3 , if your customers don't want to pay the high fees associated with it to use it? I said it before and I will say it again: DISH needs GROWTH if it is to survive. There is simply no way to sustain the company the way it is. IF you would drop the monthly fees for the joeys once a customer buys them , you would see more people upgrade to the hopper and the joey system. Allow those who don't want to own the joey still pay the monthly fees if that is their choice. Your monthly fees shouldn't equal your programming costs . It makes you pay twice as much for your programming. Back in the early part of the last decade, DISH charged NO dvr fees on their 501 dvrs. They added like 2 million subs in one year due to the fact that they had NO DVR fee at all , where Directv was charging like $9.50 a month for their dvr. Doing what they are doing right now has done nothing for growth and each quarter losses show it is not working. Now the Amazon Firestick tv is a good start ,but having only one stream available is not enough to make this solution work for most families. They need to renegotiate the deals so they can have up to 3 streams at a time work . You allow this and the joey solution and I have suggested and build an Advertisement campaign around it and you would see more sub Growth and less Churn. Because doing things the same way and expecting a different outcome is the very definition of insanity. Certainly even Charlie must see this by now.

You just don't get it, do you? Repeating the same old proposal and expecting a different response is the definition of..........

So, DISH does away with all their fees. Then, in order to stay profitable, they go up on all their package prices. Talk about churn. People like me who are perfectly happy with one receiver would be gone in a heartbeat. I repeat.................I don't want to subsidize all you people out there with the latest and greatest equipment and a dvr in every room of your house. You use it, you pay for it.

Oh, and why do you keep bringing up what they did 20 years ago? The world has changed, competition has changed, the whole entertainment delivery system has changed. What worked back then has no place in the discussion.

You realize a lot has changed since the days of the 501. Expenses have gone up drastically. Customers demand more features and channels but somehow don't expect to pay extra for it.

I have yet to see one person on this forum over all the years come up with a legit plan that would allow customers to get all the same features and channels for a much cheaper price while allowing Dish to still make a profit. Just complaining about it doesn't do any good. Actually think of a real business plan that benefits both the customer and Dish. It can't just benefit the customer because the addition of thousands of customers doesn't help if you're not making a profit.

Reactions: JSheridan
What fees are you talking about? The only fee I have is the $15 DVR fee, which might be $5 too high.

The best thing Charlie can do is give us more value by including more channels that are free anyway or close to free. Such as the subchannels you get OTA for free. He seems a tightwad in that regard. I have Flex and would like to get free channels like Grit, GetTV, Movies!, Comet, etc. for free, they don't cost him anything. He can dump a lot of the channels that are expensive and few people watch. According to a study Fox Sports 2 is the most costly channel relative to its viewership.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
What fees are you talking about? The only fee I have is the $15 DVR fee, which might be $5 too high.

The best thing Charlie can do is give us more value by including more channels that are free anyway or close to free. Such as the subchannels you get OTA for free. He seems a tightwad in that regard. I have Flex and would like to get free channels like Grit, GetTV, Movies!, Comet, etc. for free, they don't cost him anything. He can dump a lot of the channels that are expensive and few people watch. According to a study Fox Sports 2 is the most costly channel relative to its viewership.

They don't cost Dish anything? Are you sure?

Reactions: bspei and osu1991
The thing is, we have no idea what they need to make in order to stay profitable. If they got rid of the so-called "phony" I wouldn't be surprised if all the packages went up in price to make up for it.

Is any other provider offering a product that allows you to watch different programming on multiple TVs in HD with a DVR that's as good as the Hopper and charging less? I know there are some streaming options that seem to be pretty good but they are not as good as the Hopper.

Tivo. You buy the mini, no additional fees and watch different programming or recordings in another room in HD. The Tivo Mini works a heck of a lot better than the Joey's too.

I've said this before, you buy the Joey's, there shouldn't be anything more than a nominal activation fee. Customer accepts responsibility if the device fails out of warranty or they pay for the protection plan in which Dish makes money.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I maintain the fees are PHONY, and used for NO other reason then to obfuscate what a person will actually pay for their subscription. IF Dish needs extra money to be profitable, they should raise the price of their programming packages and spread the costs to everybody.

No Dish isn't the only company charging these phony fees, but somebody started them, and all other companies picked up on it. Now there's no end, and it's just causing more and more people to feel scammed, and drop them as providers.

Tivo. You buy the mini, no additional fees and watch different programming or recordings in another room in HD. The Tivo Mini works a heck of a lot better than the Joey's too.

I've said this before, you buy the Joey's, there shouldn't be anything more than a nominal activation fee. Customer accepts responsibility if the device fails out of warranty or they pay for the protection plan in which Dish makes money.

But TV doesn't provide any actual TV service, just the DVR correct? If so then that sounds much easier for Tivo since they wouldn't have the overhead of paying networks and paying installers and all the other things it takes to run a business such as a TV provider. Tivo just makes a product.

Reactions: david_jr
I maintain the fees are PHONY, and used for NO other reason then to obfuscate what a person will actually pay for their subscription. IF Dish needs extra money to be profitable, they should raise the price of their programming packages and spread the costs to everybody.

No Dish isn't the only company charging these phony fees, but somebody started them, and all other companies picked up on it. Now there's no end, and it's just causing more and more people to feel scammed, and drop them as providers.

Higher programming fees would do more damage than these so called phony fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts