What will happen if Dish and DirecTV merge?

1g1o85.gif

I think by the time they actually merge will be when they are both losing so many customers that it will be feasible. Like when they are both bleeding so bad that they have no other choice. Then the new merged company will stay around for deep rural areas in the country where there is no competition. IF they ever get broad band from coast to coast, the remaining customers will flee to an ott company like Hulu or Sling or You tube tv. Annual Satellite Price hikes and fees increases are definitely destroying any reasons for having sat tv any longer.

I will give them two more years and when I hit my 25th anniversary with DISH I will once again look at whether I will continue or finally just drop them entirely and go with Sling tv. I think that I've stayed this long because of the Hopper and the ease of using the dvr etc. But I can learn a new technology if the pricing continues to sky rocket.

I just cancelled Dish after 20 plus years and was surprised at how easy it was. No trying to keep me or sending me to retention. If you have good internet and really look at what you really watch , there is cheaper ways to watch TV. ( And the next person who tells me putting up an OTA is stealing I'm going to strangle lol ).

• Haha
Reactions: krynn and MikeD-C05
I just cancelled Dish after 20 plus years and was surprised at how easy it was. No trying to keep me or sending me to retention. If you have good internet and really look at what you really watch , there is cheaper ways to watch TV. ( And the next person who tells me putting up an OTA is stealing I'm going to strangle lol ).
How do you steal something that's free?

Reactions: Jimbo
Just like Direct TV. See DISH peeps well stay on the horn as long as necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can attest to that. Recently I had a Dish rep sit thru a check switch, 5-minute signal acquisition, and a 10-minute guide download, just to diagnose a problem that didn't get fixed, and then spend another 10 minutes on the phone finally getting the problem fixed.

Dish has lost a lot of subscribers, this last Quarter. I'm sure DirecTV is in the same boat, a Merger may not happen and Satellite TV could be down to just Dish, DirecTV/AT&T will focus on their cable and streaming platforms, unless Charlie can score whatever customer base DirecTV has left for a cheap price.

Sent from my Non Apple Smartphone using the SatelliteGuys app.

If Direct goes away and people want satellite, they will flock to Dish. So maybe Dish may not even have to merge....Time will tell, as streaming is really booming now....

It is enevitable because so many people are leaving Sat. The only reason Dish was not successful in its merger with DirecTV the first time around was because of RUPERT MURDOCH, who wanted to buy DirecTV himself only to later sell it to Liberty Media (his now FORMER partner in funding and corporate crimes John Malone) in order to prevent John Malone from taking over Newscorp. Just days later, Rupie apprears on a televised interview calling DirecTV a "Bird Turd." All his machinations to get DirecTV to only sell it to Malone and, probably, getting out of satellite before the "crash." As things are now, it would have just saved everyone heartache had Dish merged with DirecTV in the first attempt.

Anyway, Dish would likely have agree to a seperate rate for rurual customers from rising costs for service since Dish would be something of a monopoly in rural area, but only temporarily a monopoly as 5G and the terristrial use of DBS frequencies provide competition and options for rural folk to get their linier Pay TV in a few years from now.

The Govt. has allowed even WORSE mergers to go through, but in the case of Dish merging with DirecTV, nobody else would want to buy the DirecTV satellite business. I believe this is why AT&T has stopped branding anything DirecTV (as in its just launced IPTV service that is really its DirecTV with lipstick on an Android box via IP streaming pig: AT&T wants to sell DirecTV satellite biz along with the DirecTV brand.

Again, what Charlie has in his favor of Dish merging with DirecTV is that NOBODY ESLE WANTS THE DIRECTV BUSINESS, not even Orby because they are trying to AVOID that business model, and they could not even raise the funds to acquire DirecTV. That leavs Dish as the ONLY possible buyer, and the AT&T would make that case to the Govt.: that Dish is the ONLY interested buyer and the ONLY one capable of financing such a purchase, and the only way AT&T can CASH out of the Satellite biz. Oh, yeah, a merger would be approved, but with a lot restrictions--but thsoe restrictions are usually required for a few years before the mice will play. Dish and DirecTV merge is probably the only way to keep the satellite option operational and sufficiently profitable and continue its role as the ONLY method of receiving linear pay TV services in rural areas. The Govt. would really have no choice but to allow it, but impose temporary restrictions to look as if politicians care about the average citizen.

I can attest to that. Recently I had a Dish rep sit thru a check switch, 5-minute signal acquisition, and a 10-minute guide download, just to diagnose a problem that didn't get fixed, and then spend another 10 minutes on the phone finally getting the problem fixed.

You would not get that much help from Direct TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We can all speculate like we have so many times before. I think what is inevitable is there will be one major sat provider and maybe orby can survive?The sky was falling when XM and Sirius merged and that became a huge sucessful company with far more entertainment and better equipment and better adaption to new tecnology. Turns out there was room for one sat radio provider and despite some saying it will hurt the consumer in that case just the opposite.

In time Direct & Dish will be forced to merge in some form as there will not be enough customers to keep either afloat. It costs $$$$ to keep running satellites. With the advent of inexpensive internet via low satellites most Americans will have access to high speed and both Dish/Direct can go to streaming.

We can all speculate like we have so many times before. I think what is inevitable is there will be one major sat provider and maybe orby can survive?The sky was falling when XM and Sirius merged and that became a huge sucessful company with far more entertainment and better equipment and better adaption to new tecnology. Turns out there was room for one sat radio provider and despite some saying it will hurt the consumer in that case just the opposite.

I’m most often opposed to mergers, and wish Sirius and XM stayed separate companies.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Jimbo and TheKrell
I’m most often opposed to mergers, and wish Sirius and XM stayed separate companies.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
You would rather have no Satellite radio then because that was the outcome with no merger. If you do some research you will see many mergers are to save jobs or an industry or for a company to live on as part of another and not close operations.

I’m inclined to think Dish can just pick up departing customers from DTV and maybe a few assets. And avoid the costs of a merger.

Although I must say last quarter’s numbers make me wonder about ANY future.

I’m inclined to think Dish can just pick up departing customers from DTV and maybe a few assets. And avoid the costs of a merger.

Except that is not happening now, DirecTV is now losing about a million subs a quarter, yet all Traditional Providers subscribers also go down every quarter.

This quarter they lost 1.8 million ( plus a few hundred thousand Sling and Now subs), where did they go, they did not go to the Live TV streaming services, Hulu Live only gained 100,000 and 300,000 to YTTV, so that means roughly 1.5 million is just going with Netflix and the likes, OTA also.

Although I must say last quarter’s numbers make me wonder about ANY future.

The numbers will be much worse next quarter ( April, May, June), but it will be worse for DirecTV, based on their much higher price point, they could lose at least 2 million, if not more.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
DIRECTV'S product is still good. I have always said that I like their programming and the variety of it. I was going to bail and go to Verizon FiOS full time but, I didn't. The service does mess up at times. The majority of the times the service works flawlessly. I don't like the annual increases. No likes them either. It's the same with all television providers. The things I would like for them to bring back will never happen. It is what is.

Reactions: Jimbo
If Direct goes away and people want satellite, they will flock to Dish. So maybe Dish may not even have to merge....Time will tell, as streaming is really booming now....
Dish is pretty much abandoning RSNs...wont be too many sports fans coming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts