What will HD DVD Recorders be allowed to copy?

Rhinoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
This may be a silly question...

I know this is getting ahead of myself since they (HD DVD or Blu-ray Recorders)aren't even out yet, but what will cable and the satellite companies allow people to burn HD copies of? I assume not PPV or movie channels. They don't want to give away pristine copies of their movies.

I'm guessing regular network shows?

Rhinoman said:

I know this is getting ahead of myself since they (HD DVD or Blu-ray Recorders)aren't even out yet, but what will cable and the satellite companies allow people to burn HD copies of? I assume not PPV or movie channels. They don't want to give away pristine copies of their movies.

With the right modifications and software. Everything. Just like today. The 622 already accepts the nextcomm R5000 mod. Everything gets hacked eventually.

Rhinoman said:

Hack talk is not allowed in this forum. Assuming you are asking about legal copies:

The content-provider may choose to "copy-protect" the content in which case the HD DVD/Blu-ray recorder will not be allowed to make any copies. Most HD DVD movies will be copy-protected, I assume. So, my guess, is that you will only be allowed to record OTA HD and home videos. Perhaps some other un-protected content.

Ilya said:
Hack talk is not allowed in this forum. Assuming you are asking about legal copies:

The content-provider may choose to "copy-protect" the content in which case the HD DVD/Blu-ray recorder will not be allowed to make any copies. Most HD DVD movies will be copy-protected, I assume. So, my guess, is that you will only be allowed to record OTA HD and home videos. Perhaps some other un-protected content.

So you consider PTVnet, PTVupgrade or nextcom upgrades Hacking????? Last time I check PTVupgrade was a SPONSOR of this FORUM!!!!!! What is with the post deletion??? Absolutely ridiculous.

And copying software for making backups of commercial DVD's is for sale all over the place. www.slysoft.com

The hack talk that is not allowed on this forum is stealing of service which my post had nothing to do with.:rolleyes:

Ilya said:

No, I wasn't talking about anything illegal. A general question.

Just wondering how much an HD DVD Recorder will be able to do. If it is only OTA, then I don't see a big point in getting one when they come out. Perhaps when HD camcorders become commonplace (and affordable) then I could see using an HD DVD Recorder.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
So you consider PTVnet, PTVupgrade or nextcom upgrades Hacking????? Last time I check PTVupgrade was a SPONSOR of this FORUM!!!!!! What is with the post deletion??? Absolutely ridiculous.
Sorry vurbano, I am not familiar with these mods/upgrades, perhaps overreacted. It sounded like a hack-talk to me, but I might be wrong. If you insist that this is a legal mod, then I will undelete your post. At least until someone proves otherwise. ;)

Ilya said:
Sorry vurbano, I am not familiar with these mods/upgrades, perhaps overreacted. It sounded like a hack-talk to me, but I might be wrong. If you insist that this is a legal mod, then I will undelete your post. At least until someone proves otherwise. ;)

You dont have to undelete anything. The nextcom R5000 and the PTVupgrade mods are legal, you are not stealing anything. They just give you the ability to record the video to a PC hard drive or D VHS.

Not trying to pick on Ilya at all...just more info

vurbano said:
You dont have to undelete anything. The nextcom R5000 and the PTVupgrade mods are legal, you are not stealing anything. They just give you the ability to record the video to a PC hard drive or D VHS.

The Archos PVR allows you to copy a DVD to it but it cannot be played back on any other device....at least that is somewhat reasonable! ARCHOS is also available from at least one of our sponsors as well as almost all the legit retailers of electronics....Not trying to pick on Ilya ....just some info!
Jeff

I can only speak to the r5000 mod, but it is completely legal. It only records the data stream that has been decoded by the receiver. In other words, if you aren't paying for the service you can't record it. I own an r5000 modded 4dtv receiver and the captures from the master HD signals are amazing.

I was not referring to your posts...Vurbano

vurbano said:
No one is picking on anyone. Mind you own business.

I was only indicating that my own post was not meant to pick on Ilya, but only to add some more info on the copying subject!!!

Why the sensivity?...I have no bones to pick with you or anyone else, and never have!:confused:

Regards anyway,
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
I was only indicating that my own post was not meant to pick on Ilya, but only to add some more info on the copying subject!!!

Why the sensivity?...I have no bones to pick with you or anyone else, and never have!:confused:

Regards anyway,
Jeff

Sorry, I totally botched, misread your post.

Last edited:
If the new HD DVD recorders keep the 5C protected firewire (currently on DVHS), you'll be able to record content off a firewire equipped HD cable box.

I believe that most content is recordable except for PPV events. (under 5C copies cannot be copied).

Since no Satellite STB has firewire we're SOL.

David_Levin said:
Since no Satellite STB has firewire we're SOL.
Most can be outfitted with "a way out" Firewire, ethernet etc. The nextcom mod allows firewire out for the Dish 622 and PTVupgrade supplies almost everything you need for the HR10-250. The problem is will you want what you get out of it. After hours of reading trial and error, money upgrading, you may be dissapointed with the 1280x1080i you get out of a D* box. And who knows whats gonna happen with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts