what will work in a mountanou area in TN for free air tv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

craftypaws

Original poster
May 3, 2017
Dover TN
I have a antena now , I get 4 channels but they come in and out. is there a free air tv satallite that will work ? my friend brought over a tailgator dish and it works fine but I want a free tv satallite system to buy. also I am in mountains in TN , thanks for the info

Welcome to SatelliteGuys craftypaws!!!!
Are there any particular channels you are looking for?....or just what ever you can get?
Not much on a small dish, unless you want religious or foreign channels.
We can help get you in the right direction, but sorta want to know what you are looking for?
If you go to sathint.com or lyngsat.org you can look around at the NA sats and see what is free and what may interest you.

I just have antenna now are you saying that if I move it around I may get more channels? just looking for local news, and few cannels.

Are you talking OTA? Regular TV antenna?

Or Free To Air satellite channels, requiring large dishes? Like, generally meter plus, 8', 10' and 12'. Some ku to be had on 19".

Look into getting the welcome pack on dish. For what it is, not a bad deal at all.

If you don't want monthly bills, you're on the right track with the OTA antenna. There is a section on this site dedicated to over-the-air antennas and channels.

If you want satellite channels, the basics you'd need are a free-to-air receiver (not anything from Dish/Direct) and a dish around 30-40" in diameter. A smaller dish could work but would get fewer channels, mostly religious or foreign. The channels you would get are NOT the channels you would get from pay-TV (no Nickelodeon, USA, AMC, etc). Still there are a lot of channels available for free. If you have the space, a big 1980's style dish (8-12 feet) would get you even more channels.

We really need a zip code or better, a close address to determine what, if any, OTA stations can be received. Mountainous? Sounds like at least a minimal satco subscription will be required. Don't expect locals to be FTA. Maybe. But not for sure.

Try putting in your address in antennaweb or tvfool or similar.

I use a 91XG tv antenna with a preamp, it has very high gain,
go to tv fool and put your zip code in and see what you can get OTA.
you can start with a KU setup to start.
when you get the bug you will want to go to C band, thats where the most and best is.
lots of help here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)