What would happen if...?

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
What would happen if the hard drive was going out on my ViP722?

I've been noticing the receiver resetting all the time and the few times that it didn't I tried erasing some of the shows on the hard drive to troubleshoot what is happening.

It appears that if I get under 15 hours left on the hard drive out of 55 (HD), that it is more prone to reset the unit very frequently (from 1-12 times per hour). I don't know for sure if it made it worse by recording some more shows yesterday - but I can't even get the DVR to turn on and show a picture.

I've reset it dozens of times, changed the plug in from powerstrip to outlet, disconnected any unnecessary wires, etc.

The customer service rep wasn't able to help and is planning on sending a technician out Wednesday to check it out, on my dime even though I've got the DHPP.

Anyone seen anything like this happen?

A few points to ponder;

Heat build-up? Is the unit in an enclosed cabinet? Are the sides covered? Air is pulled in the left side and exits the right. These units are EXTREMELY sensitive to temperature, the colder the better.

How long have you had the unit? When did this start?

David

A few points to ponder;

Heat build-up? Is the unit in an enclosed cabinet? Are the sides covered? Air is pulled in the left side and exits the right. These units are EXTREMELY sensitive to temperature, the colder the better.

How long have you had the unit? When did this start?

David
It's not a heat build up and it started happening right after plugging it in from 2 weeks being gone.

It's on top a stand with airflow all around - in a room that's usually about 67 degrees. No sides are covered. I've had the unit since April and it started last week.

I think it's dying and needs to be replaced. Unless there is some strange thing happening with the cables to the outisde/dish with the cold weather. This is the first time it's been cold at all since I had the installation, but that doesn't make sense since my family has one in montana where it gets to 20 below and it still all works.

What would happen if the hard drive was going out on my ViP722?

I've been noticing the receiver resetting all the time and the few times that it didn't I tried erasing some of the shows on the hard drive to troubleshoot what is happening.

It appears that if I get under 15 hours left on the hard drive out of 55 (HD), that it is more prone to reset the unit very frequently (from 1-12 times per hour). I don't know for sure if it made it worse by recording some more shows yesterday - but I can't even get the DVR to turn on and show a picture.

I've reset it dozens of times, changed the plug in from powerstrip to outlet, disconnected any unnecessary wires, etc.

The customer service rep wasn't able to help and is planning on sending a technician out Wednesday to check it out, on my dime even though I've got the DHPP.

Anyone seen anything like this happen?
Here's what I posted a few days ago on another thread about the same issue:

I just got back from vacation today after 2 weeks of having my ViP722 unplugged (no power). I plugged it back it, and it did the 10 minute boot-up. Since then it has rebooted about 10 times. There was obviously no power, phone nor internet connectied for about 2 weeks while I was gone. I did a system check and the phone and internet connection are good, but the unit still reboots consistently after about 10-15 minutes of being up.

I also changed the nightly update time to get it to restart for the programming update, but that didn't help. I also unplugged it again (for 30 seconds) and plugged it into a different power strip and later on direcly into the wall. No help either. I even tried the 'check switch' trick (twice) and that hasn't changed anything either. The status is continually good when it is up and running to be able to check. 3 satellites, all green and OK.

Is there something else I can do to get it to stop rebooting? Is this common for a receiver to keep rebooting itself after having not been on for a long time with no phone/internet connectivity? It was working just fine before I went on vacation and it had no power during the whole trip.
It doesn't even turn on far enough to see a picture anymore. So a service tech is coming out on Saturday to check it out. I don't know what happened - but it seems like the receiver didn't like being unplugged for 2 weeks.

Sounds like more than I am able to help with. You may be dead on in that the box could be dying. Hopefully the tech coming on Saturday will get you squared away. Sorry, I was no help.

David

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts