What would you guys ask for - install mistake

Status
Please reply by conversation.

csualtosax

Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Lone Tree, CO
Hi all, new poster here.

Had my Directv moved from my old apartment to my new apartment two days ago. Installer came out, did a nice job apart from using HUGE brackets on the porch railing that hang out over the balcony.

Yesterday I get a call from the property manager. The comcast guys needs to get into my unit b/c the Directv installer cut the lines in my attic that supply multiple apartments around me.

Comcast is here now, says it's going to take 3 of their guys 3 hours to get all the lines fixed. There are at least 3 surrounding units that have had their cable cut. I've placed a service complaint with Directv, and am expecting a call from the local supervisor shortly.

What do you guys think is reasonable compensation for the error, in addition to me having to take the day off of work for Comcast to be in my unit?

Thanks for your thoughts

Yea, I would imagine. Comcast took a look but were unable to get into the other apartments to get the wiring connected correctly. Directv supervisor never called back, I sent another request and the national number called saying the supervisor is trying to figure out when his crew can come out.

Feels like the local crew is not interested in getting this thing fixed. I imagine they don't get paid to come back instead of getting the new installs done.

My neighbors are out tv/internet. Pretty messed up.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this? What do you think would be reasonable for DirecTv to offer for the multiple times I have to be home for their installation guys?

No experience w/this but I would complain,complain,complain to Directv about all the money you lost and the inconvenience. Ask for the world and see where it gets you. Keep complaining! Paul

That would be called a damage claim. Which is a long and lengthly process. we would need a written discriptoin of what happned and pictures. Plus estimated cost of repair.

I never seen anyone get something extra for them selves just cost of repairs.

COMCAST claims it will take 3 guys 3 hours to restore service to 3 apartment units ?

Sounds like a BS estimate to me. :rolleyes:

Boy that is really stupid for an installer to do. That is why when my installer comes to my house I stand and watch them and ask all kinds of questions. I mean installing these things isn't exactly rocket science.

Like Stonecold says, get everything written up, the pictures taken and the cost in writing. Your kind of at the mercy of comcast and the claims process on this one. Submit it to Direct TV as that is about all you can do, except maybe by your neighbors a nice bottle of wine!

I'd try to get the hell out of the middle of that one. Let Comcast and Direct's install guys fight it out.

GL, Eric

Thanks for the replies, Comcast got my neighbors working. So far, 4 "service requests" to DirecTv with promises that the local office will call me. No calls so far. How would you guys escalate this as it seems clear that the local guys are blowing me off?

Thanks for the replies, Comcast got my neighbors working. So far, 4 "service requests" to DirecTv with promises that the local office will call me. No calls so far. How would you guys escalate this as it seems clear that the local guys are blowing me off?

Essentially it is D*s problem, but I would imagine they would contact Comcast and pay them to fix the repair.

Sounds to me like they quoted you a sky high figure ...... 3 guys 3 hours ? then you said that they had the other taken care of now, Did it take 3 guys 3 hour to do this repair ?

Chances are they toned the lines out and spliced it.

I'm not sure what the Installer(s ) were thinking or WHY they cut into a line in the attic in the first place.

They should be able to Tone the lines back without any trouble.

Maybe DirecTV missed an opportunity to land three new customers. They should have contacted them, apologized and offered them free service and equipment with the top package for a year. Instead of judging the company by that installer, those folks would be singing DirecTV's praises for making it good. Even if they had to compensate Comcast it would still be good public relations.

Again you have to call and be very specific and ask to file a damage claim. asking to have someone call you back will often get you no where. Damage claim will at least get you any money comcast might charge you.

Again you have to call and be very specific and ask to file a damage claim. asking to have someone call you back will often get you no where. Damage claim will at least get you any money comcast might charge you.

Comcast should NOT charge him anything.
The bill should go to D* or the installation company.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)