What's better--two single HD tuners or one dual tv tuner

Annie2005

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
California
The single tv tuner, 211 I think, is 49.00 so two is 98.; the dual tuner is 199. so I can get two of the single HD for half the price. There must be something about the dual that is much better? And what do they mean an additional antenna may be necessary for local HD. Won't the new Dish take care of that? Right now I have one HD TV and one standard, but want to get another HD TV. If I get the dual is it only for one HD and one SD? not two HD? When they talk about the discount for new subscribers, do they mean new D* or new HD customers? Thanks for helping a technically challenged subscriber.

Dishnetwork
America's Everything Pak
2 510 DVR's
locals
distant

Last edited:
the HD dual tuners (622's) are tv1 HD, tv2 SD...with dvr on both sides. they dont make a dual tuner with HD on both sides.

<edit> the dual tuner w/o the dvr feature would still be tv1HD, tv2SD...but those are yet to be seen.

Last edited:
Annie2005 said:
The single tv tuner, 211 I think, is 49.00 so two is 98.; the dual tuner is 199. so I can get two of othe HD for half the price. There must be something about the dual that is much better? And what do they mean an additional antenna may be necessary for local HD. Won't the new Dish take care of that? Right now I have one HD TV and one standard, but want to get another HD TV. If I get the dual is it only for one HD and one SD? not two HD?Thanks for helping a technically challenged subscriber.

Dishnetwork
America's Everything Pak
2 510 DVR's
locals
distant

Annie,

The biggest differences would be getting DVR functions with the DUAL TUNER 622, as well as being able to TUNE and RECORD ANY LOCAL OTA Digital signals. All Recordings would be available on TWO TV's at the same time from the ONE Receiver.

If you got the DUAL TUNER HD DVR then you would only be able to watch HD on ONE TV or the same content at the same time on a second HD TV.

With the TWO HD STB's you would be able to watch TWO HD channels on BOTH TV's at the same time. With the Dual TUNER HD DVR, all content from the TV2 outputs would be in SD even content recorded in HD would downconverted to SD on the TV2 output.

John

Annie2005 said:
The single tv tuner, 211 I think, is 49.00 so two is 98.; the dual tuner is 199. so I can get two of the single HD for half the price. There must be something about the dual that is much better?

I suppose it depends on your situation. For me, a dual tuner is a must. I do most of my viewing on one TV. Having two DVRs at my two TVs would not make much sense, as I would have to go to my second TV to watch many of my shows.

With the 622 I can record three shows at once (two satellite and one OTA tuners) and watch any of them on the TV of my chosing.

Another consideration:
In general, if you have two single tuner boxes, don't you get an addtional reciever fee on the second physical box?
Whereas if you you have one dual tuner you don't get that fee.
If that's correct, you'd save $5 or $6 per month by getting one dual tuner box.

(can someone confirm this is correct? I'm pretty sure it used to work that way, anyway.)

yes, that's correct, no additional outlet fee (if the phone line is connected) - there is the fee for the DVR function though (unless you have Platinum).

Look at it whatever way makes you feel better, two outputs with DVR free, or two outputs for the price of one plus DVR fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)