Whats in your vista side bar?

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Curious about what others have in their side bars in vista, I have a network monitor, quad core and ram monitor, clock, local weather widget, and an anime character that sings a silly song for my daughter.

Nothing, disabled it after 10 minutes on my first Vista machine and have never used it since. I love my real estate on my screen and dont want to give it up even on the machine at work with dual screens.

Gotta say that I like the side bar and some of the widgets though most are garbage made by fanboys. I cant see the hate for vista mostly because it has been working flawlessly for me and has been even better than xp ever was. I guess that hardware has something to do with it as I have seen some machines that ran horribly slow even with 3 gigs of ram while others have done fine with 2 gigs and some on here have said that they have machines running 1 gig of ram.

Nothing, disabled it after 10 minutes on my first Vista machine and have never used it since. I love my real estate on my screen and dont want to give it up even on the machine at work with dual screens.

:up Me too.

Gotta say that I like the side bar and some of the widgets though most are garbage made by fanboys. I cant see the hate for vista mostly because it has been working flawlessly for me and has been even better than xp ever was. I guess that hardware has something to do with it as I have seen some machines that ran horribly slow even with 3 gigs of ram while others have done fine with 2 gigs and some on here have said that they have machines running 1 gig of ram.

What are you running on? Nearly every machine i touch and use is now Vista.

HP pav a6152n upgraded with an add on 160gb sata internal, 160gb ide external drive, and an evga 8600gt 512mb pcie card. Even without the upgrades it ran smoothly except on anything that would require an add on video card for graphics crunching. Trust me I was really skiddish about going to vista based on all the reports on the web and in the news media but so far my experience is the exact opposite on all the technical issues and blue moonish on the feature issues.

For what its worth my vista rating went from 3.3 to 5.0 with the addition of the 8600gt video card and the video card is the lowest number in the line up.

I stick to brand name stuff which has stable drivers, have Dell and HP PCs/Workstations and servers, so its been very stable here. Once the new ram arrives my last two systems that run XP (Media Portal machines) will become Vista. They are little HP7800 UltraSlim systems.

We have through testing found that the mutt machines at work are pointless but all the brandname stuff has been rock solid. Vista brings its biggest advantages to laptops and tablets, how smart it is with networking etc...

I have a similar video card to yours in one machine, and it really does make a big difference, drop in enough ram and you are in for a very nice environment.

Still think the Sidebar is silly (Just bringing it somewhat back on topic LOL)

I forced myself to use vista for 6 months. After the 6 months I still didn't like it, so back to XP pro.
Since then I have bought 2 new computers that came with vista. They are now running XP pro.

I dont think I would go back, the performance diference between xp and vista is enough to keep me with vista because of the stability alone, it simply beats xp and even if its because its on an hp thats good enough for me.

I've tinkered with the side bar and while it does take up desktop space like the icons do with the addition of the various widgets it now serves a function that the icons cant.

I would not jump into Vista unless the task you require can take advantage of what it offers. I needed a very fast computer that would be quad core and need 8Gb Ram. Only solution was Vista 64 so since my apps were all tested out and verified OK on this OS, that's what I bought. For normal applications, XP works just fine and I really have stable systems. Sometimes I don't reboot for 2 weeks.
BTW- My Vista 64 bit system is my edit platform for HDTV projects. I can preview 2 streams of HDTV 1080p x 1920 in real time.

Since windows XP, yes. Prior to that I made most of them from parts. BUT, the latest exception is the Vista system. I started out with the HP 9280f and made some major modifications. Has the original 1Tb hard drive for the C drive. Then I added two 1 Tb drives for a Raid system for speed to play 2 streams of AVCHD video in real time for editing. Then I added 8Gb of ram. Then I added a Panasonic 4x BluRay burner to accompany the existing HD DVD / BluRay combo drive. After all that, I decided to upgrade the powersupply with an industrial version. I think it runs 850 watts or so. The original was 400 watt.
So far the only trouble I have is with the ATA IDE to USB2 hard drive adapter cables which aren't supported. I have to use Fire Wire to IDE adapters which work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts