What's so good about InHD & HDNet?

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
I have seen lots of requests on this forum for Voom to add InHD & HDNet.

I have never seen those channels. I want to know what I am missing. We came to Voom from a very grim cable service.

Would somebody please describe the content on InHD & HDNet? Is their content SO different from what I already get with VaVaVoom?

Please assume I know nothing.

Thanks,

I don't see anything special about HDnet. My local UPN station shows it during the day and I saw nothing special on there. They do show some sporting events and some other shows. I don't even watch the channel but it looks nice in HD. HDNet movies on the other might be better. As for INHD and INHD2 I have no clue cause it says Only On Cable.

http://www.inhd.com/ & http://www.hd.net/

Yes, there is content that is quite different than Voom. INHD has a contract with MLB for three years to deliver 3 games per week in HD. INHD will be doing all the Euro 2004 games in tape delayed. INHD has the NBATV HD games during regular season. Every opportunity to grab sports it looks like they go out and get the contract done. To me these sports are worthy to get INHD.

HDnet has original programs like Bikini Destination (Vurbano), World Report, and a few others that I do not remember now. They also carry the NHL and MLS games exclusively in HD. This is also worth carrying.

If VOOM can get either one, it will be excellent. If VOOM can get both, it will be superb!

slater said:
I don't see anything special about HDnet. My local UPN station shows it during the day and I saw nothing special on there. They do show some sporting events and some other shows. I don't even watch the channel but it looks nice in HD. HDNet movies on the other might be better. As for INHD and INHD2 I have no clue cause it says Only On Cable.

Slater,

the local HDnet feed that you are getting is only a fraction of the actual HDnet channel. They do not offer the entire lineup of programs on the local feed from what I read.

slater said:
your local UPN only has access to a small portion of HDnet.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I have seen lots of requests on this forum for Voom to add InHD & HDNet.

I have never seen those channels. I want to know what I am missing. We came to Voom from a very grim cable service.

Would somebody please describe the content on InHD & HDNet? Is their content SO different from what I already get with VaVaVoom?

Please assume I know nothing.

Thanks,
INHD1 and 2, and HDnet and HDnetmovies? The best PQ period. The most experienced camera men etc. Sports programming that is almost the caliber of the big networks, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc. Some very good original series like bikini destinations, Hotlines etc. And HD OAR movies on hdnetmovies and on both INHD channels I believe. I would trade 10 voom exclusives for one of them. I would trade 15 voom exclusive channels for both.

I had InHD on comcast before switching to voom, and I can tell you that I only watched 2 things on it ever, and those were a beyonce concert (exactly same concert now shown on Rave) and a Padres game. The game, at least in my opinion, was NOT shot that well, I mean, the picture quality was great, but the actual camerawork and announcing was mediocre at best. These stations really were just created to be examples of what HD quality should be, but it has to be in the hands of professional broadcasters, who know how to put together good content as well. The big networks are getting better with every new series that comes out, and some of the sports I've seen on ABC and the like are so much better than InHD ever was. I don't see much need for these channels, other than to show off the HDTV, which DiscoveryHD does quite well.

CraziFuzzy said:
I had InHD on comcast before switching to voom, and I can tell you that I only watched 2 things on it ever, and those were a beyonce concert (exactly same concert now shown on Rave) and a Padres game. The game, at least in my opinion, was NOT shot that well, I mean, the picture quality was great, but the actual camerawork and announcing was mediocre at best. These stations really were just created to be examples of what HD quality should be, but it has to be in the hands of professional broadcasters, who know how to put together good content as well. The big networks are getting better with every new series that comes out, and some of the sports I've seen on ABC and the like are so much better than InHD ever was. I don't see much need for these channels, other than to show off the HDTV, which DiscoveryHD does quite well.
you should go tell marc cuban that hdnet was only created to show what HD quality should be. LMAO. Im sorry but there is no better quality or camera work than that on HDnet it puts discovery to shame. ABC at 720p when they can manage an HD program is superior to 1080i INHD 24/7? Ive heard it all now. Your cable company musta been compressing the hell out of it.

CraziFuzzy said:
I don't see much need for these channels, other than to show off the HDTV, which DiscoveryHD does quite well.

Dang this must be what voom executives are thinking right now. no wonder we aint gonna get those channels anytime soon.

vurbano said:
you should go tell marc cuban that hdnet was only created to show what HD quality should be. LMAO. Im sorry but there is no better quality or camera work than that on HDnet it puts discovery to shame. ABC at 720p when they can manage an HD program is superior to 1080i INHD 24/7? Ive heard it all now. Your cable company musta been compressing the hell out of it.

Vurbano,
not being combative here, but if you think Dish is that great why even have VOOM? you can get ESPN HD and all of the Premium HDs on Dish and Discovery and others.

So, basically you have VOOM just for the VOOM exclusives?

I'm sorry but I feel like the Voom exclusives just aren't that damn great. I like Rave and watch Rush occasionally. I would say that less than 15% of my total viewing is on Voom exclusives.....wait is Playboy Voom Exclusive? :)
Seriously, though I did't realize Dish was THAT much better on those channels. If so it would probably be a better fit for me considering I don't watch VOOM exclusives that much anyway.

Hdnet does shoot much of their video sourced content. InHD does not. InHD acquires most of their content through through acquisition and agreement; for example, they don't shoot baseball games, those are done by Comcast Sportsnet and other RSNs.

The production quality of the Hdnet sporting events tends to be highest, because they often frame for 16:9. Most everyone else -- ESPN, ABC, CBS, and the RSNs (InHD) -- frames for 4:3, and HD viewers just get extra information on the sides, plus the enhanced detail.

InHD and Hdnet do show much of the same non-sports content; there are days when you can find the same programming on both channels within several hours. Much of InHD's programming was also shown on Hdnet 12-24 months ago. They contracted for this programming after Hdnet's exclusive was over. You can also find much of this content -- previously shown on Hdnet -- on VOOM's channels. That said, each has their share of exclusive content too.

vurbano said:

I am not saying that the picture quality is better on ABC than HDNet or InHD, not at all, I'm saying the program quality is leagues better. Regardless of how pretty the pictures are, if a baseball game has lame announcers, or a documentary can't keep my interest, it is not as good. period. Hence, the best thing InHD and HDNet have to offer is picture quality, making it great for showing off HD. I guess you have stopped watching every SD channel, right? Since you judge a channel strictly on picture quality, you couldn't STAND to watch anything else, right?

I had HDNET for a while and dont miss it much. For some reason I watched HBOHD and DiscoveryHD a ton more than HDNET. I do have to say they do have some of the best HD picture quality around. I would love if VOOM added any HD ch at this point. INHD...or HDNET, but I dont think that is going to happen.

CraziFuzzy said:
I am not saying that the picture quality is better on ABC than HDNet or InHD, not at all, I'm saying the program quality is leagues better. Regardless of how pretty the pictures are, if a baseball game has lame announcers, or a documentary can't keep my interest, it is not as good. period. Hence, the best thing InHD and HDNet have to offer is picture quality, making it great for showing off HD. I guess you have stopped watching every SD channel, right? Since you judge a channel strictly on picture quality, you couldn't STAND to watch anything else, right?
Yes I judge a network on its picture quality and content. And since HDnet and inhd has good programming and the best PQ I give them the nod over ABC. DIdnt you say the inhd PQ was bad compared to ABC. The only way that could be is if your cable company screwed with it. ABC is only HD about 3 hours a night typically, 8pm-11pm. MNF is only on monday nights for 16 weeks or so. Didnt ABC drop the ball on every NHL game it had this year until the finals? Pathetic.

The following are the results from recent poll over at AVS, you will find that inhd and hdnet both scored higher than ABC in terms of HDsports. And for many of us HD is the only way to watch sports:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#8080a6 colSpan=4>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Who's the leader in HD sports?[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]You have already voted on this poll.[/font]
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]ABC[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]14[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]6.42%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]CBS[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]91[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]41.74%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]FOX[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]9[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]4.13%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]NBC[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]2[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]0.92%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]WB[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar6-l.gif
bar6.gif
bar6-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]1[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]0.46%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]ESPN[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar1-l.gif
bar1.gif
bar1-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]50[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]22.94%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]TNT[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]0[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]0%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]HDNet[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]27[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]12.39%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]INHD[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]17[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]7.80%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Other (discuss)[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf>
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
</TD><TD width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]7[/font]</TD><TD align=middle width=67 bgColor=#dfdfdf>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]3.21%[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#8080a6 colSpan=2>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Total:[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#8080a6>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]218 votes[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#8080a6>[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]100%[/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And yes I try not to watch SD. I do find MLS, MLB and NHL compelling enough content against ABC, maybe not compelling enough to compete with ESPN but ESPNHD is lucky to cough up one 720p broadcast every 3 days.

So the programming is leagues better on ABC? I dont know about that. HDnet and INHD have there share of movies to compete against ABC's. ID rather watch Bikini destinations than george lopez. And considering the 24/7 thing compared to 3 hours a day ABC isnt even in the same ballpark.

rkr0923 said:
HDnet has NASCAR Busch West in HD
HDnet Movies, don't waste your time on that one
yes HDnet has Nascar Buch West in HD.
Dont waste my time on HDnetmovies? why not? Dolans wasting my time on Cinema 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)