What's the best PC set up for HDTV?

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I'm looking at setting my computer up so I can play DVDs, access the Internet and do gaming on my HDTV. After spending all day at the electronics stores I'm still very confused. Here are some of the questions I have;

1. I have an older HDTV so I have to go with component cables. I found some video cards that have what they call HDTV Breakout Cables but I can't find out what the HDTV output resolution is. Does anyone have any information on or can you recommend HDTV video cards for PCs that use component output cables? What is the resolution output of these cards?
2. Do all DVD players for computers do Progressive Scan? If not all do, does anyone know of any that do have Progressive Scan?
3. What's the best processor speed and memory requirements for this application?
4. Does anyone here have a PC set up to do HDTV and, if so, what equipment do you have? What lessons have you learned? Are you happy with the setup?

Anyones response to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BrettTRay said:
is there a way to record off of satellite with this?
Yes, but not in HD.

There is some software out there that allows you to record HD via Firewire from some cable boxes on Media Center 2005. I haven't done much research on it, but I will soon as Verizon TV will be available in my area soon and they use Motorola 6412 boxes.

I have my pc hooked up to my Mitsubishi WD-52525 through the vga port at 1200x666 using Powerstrip to compensate for the 1280x720 overscan. It is awesome playing games or doing anything for that matter. I have a Sapphire Theatrix Theater 550 Pro tuner card and let me tell you- It is the best non-HD tuner card on the market. Here is a screenshot of an SD channel taken from recorded video not live!

Attachments

• PDVD_001.BMP
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 246

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)