What's the deal w/ New Service at 2nd home??? Dealer says I can't be treated as new?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
This is ridiculous. I'm bought a beach home and I want to install dish there. Local dealer says because I"m an existing Dish customer in Raleigh I can't setup new service at my 2nd home at the beach? What???

Can someone tell me if this is really true or misinformed? If this is true, that's the most stupid policy I've ever heard...

bradesp

Technically the rule is that ALL receivers must be at the same location (and if you want it at a second location you have to buy a second subscription) but people do take a recever and use it at the lake house/beach house/cabin/cottage etc

We have a reciever at our cabin (its on the same account as my dad's). Have had it there for almost 5 years with no issues.

It is a grey area. Just dont plug it into the phone line and hope the dish audit people dont call because you have to read some numbers off the system info screen and one changes every 15 minutes or so.

So what exactly does Dish want a customer to do when they have 2 houses and want Dish service at both locations?

What if each location is in a different DMA? How does that affect HD LiLs?

Iceberg - I think he is wanting to open a separate account. That is why he want's to be treated as a new customer for the new location so he can get a discounted install. I think that is only fair. To the original poster, can you use someone else's name (and SS#) to set up the account (spouse or something)? That would let you qualify as a new subscriber.

lakebum431 said:
Iceberg - I think he is wanting to open a separate account. That is why he want's to be treated as a new customer for the new location so he can get a discounted install. I think that is only fair. To the original poster, can you use someone else's name (and SS#) to set up the account (spouse or something)? That would let you qualify as a new subscriber.

whoops :)

I read it as he had to have a second account, not he wanted one :D

You CAN have service at your beach house, but you will have to set up a separate account for that address. The retailer won't do it because he will lose out on incentive payments. Call Dish and have them set it up as a vacation home. With that you only have to have service while you are at the beach home and can do a seasonal downgrade while you are not there and only pay $5 per month while you are not. The retailer doesn't want to deal with the chargebacks that he would incur from your downgrades, so he won't do it, but it can be done!
It is against Dish rules (for a lot of reasons, not just because Dish want to get more money out of you) to do what iceburg suggests and will cause a whole lot of headaches if Dish does catch you.
Just my two cents worth!

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Crap.... Just have your wife call and set up a new customer account in her name. Then you can get all the incentives offered. There's nothing wrong with your wife setting up a new account.

Just go with DirecTv at your second home if Dish Network is not going to give you a deal to activate a second account or put it in your wife or relative's name at the second location.

Slamminc11 said:
It is against Dish rules (for a lot of reasons, not just because Dish want to get more money out of you) to do what iceburg suggests and will cause a whole lot of headaches if Dish does catch you.
Just my two cents worth!
I remember on a Charlie chat awhile ago that Charlie himself suggested taking one of your receivers to a vacation home then bring it back when you leave. If I remember it right he said he did that himself.

thiggin2 said:
I remember on a Charlie chat awhile ago that Charlie himself suggested taking one of your receivers to a vacation home then bring it back when you leave. If I remember it right he said he did that himself.

All I am stating is what was said on the latest retailer chat and what Dish has said is the policy going forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts