Whats the deal with 129 issues?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I have a new 622 and have them set to move my 61.5 dish to 129 next week. I noticed that most of the HD main channles are already on 61.5. I see all these complaints about poor signal for 129, do I really want them to move my 61.5 dish? Only think I woudl like is my Atlanta locals in HD from E*, but honestly I get most of them OTA with the 942 and 622. IS the 129 issue a problem in the Southern US?

It depends where you are. There are lots of people in the Atlanta area that are having a problem getting 129. However, most of those are using the Dish 1000. If you are going to use a separate dish, I suspect you will be just fine. I'm actually considering doing the same thing shortly.

Well we'll see when the tech comes, if they want to swap me to a Dish 1000 I am going to balk and have him relocate my 61.5 dish and point it to 129. I want the ATL HD-LIL to help with schdule conflicts, I get OTA HD fine, but there are times I want 2 conflicting shows and would love to have them both in HD, but if the 129 signal is going to screw me up then maybe I'll live with my current setup.

You should have no problem with spinning the 61.5 to 129 unless there's a LOS issue from where the dish is currently mounted.

The tech should have no problems with doing that instead of replacing the 500 with a 1000 - unless he's an idiot or there's some issue such as access or LOS.

SimpleSimon said:
You should have no problem with spinning the 61.5 to 129 unless there's a LOS issue from where the dish is currently mounted.

The tech should have no problems with doing that instead of replacing the 500 with a 1000 - unless he's an idiot or there's some issue such as access or LOS.

Well it seems not only was he an idiot he dod nto bring anything! So I need to spell this out to the moron. Le tme make sure I get this right, he is telling me my DP34 switch is no good, I need a DP44. I told him I just want the Dish 500 from 61.5 moved to the roof and pointed to 129. If he does that do I need a DP44? I don't want to deal with weak 129 issues so I am willing to deal with 2 dishes on the roof (one is there now, other on back deck) to get best signal. I want to leave the current 110/119 dish 500 the way it is and move the Dish 500 at 61.5 to 129 and thats it, unless I need a new switch then he can replace my DP34 with DP44 if I need that. Dish really needs to get their head oout of their butt and make this easier!

kluken said:
Well it seems not only was he an idiot he dod nto bring anything! So I need to spell this out to the moron. Le tme make sure I get this right, he is telling me my DP34 switch is no good, I need a DP44. I told him I just want the Dish 500 from 61.5 moved to the roof and pointed to 129. If he does that do I need a DP44? I don't want to deal with weak 129 issues so I am willing to deal with 2 dishes on the roof (one is there now, other on back deck) to get best signal. I want to leave the current 110/119 dish 500 the way it is and move the Dish 500 at 61.5 to 129 and thats it, unless I need a new switch then he can replace my DP34 with DP44 if I need that. Dish really needs to get their head oout of their butt and make this easier!
You should not need the DP44, unless...

Since you are going from 3 orbital locations (61.5/110/119) to 3 orbital locations (110/119/129) your existing switch should work fine. Things that could require upgrading to a DP44:
* viewing all four of those orbital locations, or
* using single cable with a DP Separator (requires DPP technology - i.e. DP44)

Good luck!

As an aside, I ordered my HD equip upgrade today. The sales tech said I would need a new dish for 129. I pointed out to him that since HD programming is mirrored on 61.5 and I already have 61.5 that I would not need the new dish. He claimed that not all programming was mirrored, but after checking on that he corrected himself saying there is only one HD channel on 129 that is not mirrored to 61.5. In the end, I am allowing the dish 1000 upgrade since it will not cost me any more than I am already paying and should net me a DP44 in the process. If it turns out otherwise when the installer arrives, I'll keep my existing dishes. And being a new install, I will use the install warranty to pursue any 129 issues I may encounter.

Cheers,
Red

THANKS! I'm torn on what to do, I am going to try and get the installer to move the 61.5 dish to roof and point to 129, I suspect it is easier for him to pluck a new dish on my exisiting 110/129 mast, but I don;t want any issues, then again if I let him do that I have 61.5 as a backup, but I beleive that new content will wind up on 129 and my ATL LIL are on 129, so we'll see which rocket scientist they send out this time.

RedSavina said:
You should not need the DP44, unless...

Since you are going from 3 orbital locations (61.5/110/119) to 3 orbital locations (110/119/129) your existing switch should work fine. Things that could require upgrading to a DP44:
* viewing all four of those orbital locations, or
* using single cable with a DP Separator (requires DPP technology - i.e. DP44)

Good luck!

As an aside, I ordered my HD equip upgrade today. The sales tech said I would need a new dish for 129. I pointed out to him that since HD programming is mirrored on 61.5 and I already have 61.5 that I would not need the new dish. He claimed that not all programming was mirrored, but after checking on that he corrected himself saying there is only one HD channel on 129 that is not mirrored to 61.5. In the end, I am allowing the dish 1000 upgrade since it will not cost me any more than I am already paying and should net me a DP44 in the process. If it turns out otherwise when the installer arrives, I'll keep my existing dishes. And being a new install, I will use the install warranty to pursue any 129 issues I may encounter.

Cheers,
Red

Well it seems not only was he an idiot he dod nto bring anything! So I need to spell this out to the moron.
Make it crytasl clear that you are not ADDING a bird, but swapping 61.5 for 129.

The problem is, most DNSC "professional installers" have NO clue what they are doing. Anything beyond a configuration they are seen and they are lost, regardless of whether it is logical or not.

Take a look at my switch layout in the Equipment Gallery. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts