What's the deal with D* guide ads?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Salrod

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
CA
My tv guide (HR20) started including adds a couple days ago.:mad: It there any way to turn these off? If not, does Dish's guide contain ads?

You mean the lines added every 7 or so for their events, VoD, specialty channels and such? If so I have seen them in there for a while; I don't care for the extra lines but its no huge deal. I am sure its a revenue generator. And it really isn't anything worth switching providers over.

No ads on Dish. But now that they've got the idea for another revenue stream...... :rolleyes:

I saw it first with Comcast. It was really annoying there. They had a ad take the place of a channel on each page. I don't like the D version much either, but at least they're not as obtrusive.

At least not yet. I disagree with Charper1, ads are annoying and with all other things equal, I'd choose the service without the ads. Certainly, its one of the things to consider when choosing a service. In fact, years ago I switched from Comcast just to get away from the annoying guide format.

At least not yet. I disagree with Charper1, ads are annoying and with all other things equal, I'd choose the service without the ads. Certainly, its one of the things to consider when choosing a service. In fact, years ago I switched from Comcast just to get away from the annoying guide format.

You would chose a provider according to whether or not that put an ad in the guide every once in a while ?

I would think your actual viewing of the provided content would be a better evaluation for deciding on providers.

Jimbo

Obviously, content is important. But years ago, when I switched from D to Comcast, content was about the same. Even today, based on what I watch, there's little, if any, difference between Dish, Com and D*. I'm surprised some do not care about ads in their guide. I guess that's why D* started doing it. I think it's bad. If enough people don't care, we'll all have guides that are 50% ads.

Even though I don't care for the ads in the guide, I don't think it is that big of a deal right now. I just went through all of the channels I have in the guide and it only contained two ads. One was for the Game Lounge and the other was for Jewelry TV.

IIRC, the ads are linked to channels in the guide. If you know which one it is and delete that channel from the guide, the banner ad will disappear also.

Obviously, content is important. But years ago, when I switched from D to Comcast, content was about the same. Even today, based on what I watch, there's little, if any, difference between Dish, Com and D*. I'm surprised some do not care about ads in their guide. I guess that's why D* started doing it. I think it's bad. If enough people don't care, we'll all have guides that are 50% ads.

Those people are most of the reason why this world is as bad as it is, too many don't care, too many like being doormats.

IIRC, the ads are linked to channels in the guide. If you know which one it is and delete that channel from the guide, the banner ad will disappear also.

yes but:
1. the adds keep changing week to week on the channel its linked to so u have to constantly add/delete channels.
2. obviously u lose that channel then in the guide.

Those people are most of the reason why this world is as bad as it is, too many don't care, too many like being doormats.

There is more to care about in the world than two ads that appear in the guide. You just need to know what battles are worth fighting for.

JewelryTV is not in my Fav's and never has been. Never seen an ad for that channel. I do see the Game Lounge and maybe one other from time to time. But maybe I see less because of the filtered Fav's and even further filtering to show only HD channels/content. Non-issue for me at this point...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)