What's the deal with D* guide ads?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just an update. Last night I did send an email to D* as sugested by dcowboy. This morning D* called me and said that they have been receiving a lot of complaints and are considering weather or not to keep the ads going. She said if the decision is to keep the ads they will most likely give us a way to program our receivers to not show them, but "it may take a while".

With pvr/dvr functions gaining subscriber ground every day, get used to it. My wife used to work for Nielsen and there was big talk about this type of thing 4 years ago, when dvr's first started making a dent. With everyone fastforwrding through the ads, the networks still have to ensure that their sponsors products are seen (I know it's mostly just channel ads now but it will progress) and we will see more of this type of advertising in the future.

Just an update. Last night I did send an email to D* as sugested by dcowboy. This morning D* called me and said that they have been receiving a lot of complaints and are considering weather or not to keep the ads going. She said if the decision is to keep the ads they will most likely give us a way to program our receivers to not show them, but "it may take a while".

I think the CSR was just giving you hope :)

It could happen - and I personally hope it does, that they go away.

When I inquired about them I was told "here to stay".

Yea, I figure D* will do whatever makes them the most $. And since I don't think enough people will complain, much less switch to a different service, I think you're right - better get used to it.

But, I for one would switch to Dish to get rid of the ads (for however long that would last). Dish has a better DVR anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts