Whats the deal with PPV-HD?

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
So I was talking to a friend up north, where they have ExpressVu for satellite. Apparently, they have FOUR HD-PPV channels, all showing first rate movies. (Ie lotr3, eurotrip, etc). Why does Dish only run like one or two movies on the ONE hd chan? The MPAA got a hand in this? Why can Expressvu run the movies then?

Along the same lines, E-vu has all the major networks east and west in HD. It appears if charlie wants compelling content, he should just look up north for the answer. They even are getting NFL sunday ticket this fall.. Plus the HD games to boot!

The two satellites are at 82 and 91degrees, if you want to check out the offerings on lyngsat.com. Looks like all the HD is on 82.

It appears all the major players are ramping up their HD content for this fall, as scott always says, the "war" is on. So far all i've seen Charlie do is compress 3 HD chans into a transponder to make room for the olympics. There are a few threads on AVS about the decline in PQ on the dish HD chans.

(rant mode off)

I've had the Dish HD package since last December. I've purchased one PPV-HD movie, Seabiscuit, in that time. One channel with horrible selection. I purchase about 2 PPVs/month SD and we have CM and Starz, but not CM-HD and Starz-HD of course. TNT-HD has had such a great selection of HD movies that we have watched at least 2/week and are willing to tolerate the commercials. Come on Charlie, you have customers out there that are starving for more HD, even if you don't think it is compelling.

3 words. No Available Bandwidth.

So far 3 HD channels per transponder is not working out very well. I'll be happy to wait for more HD if it means not screwing up the channels we all ready have.

NightRyder

I'd agree with NightRyder, but FFS, get some damn bandwidth. they are in the business of providing satellite TV, they didn't know they'd need more bandwidth? WTF!?!? Wonder what happened after they hired their first employee? "So we gotta pay this guy for the work he's doing?"

They're working on it for crying out loud!

Probably not as fast as they should have, but there's as least 2 new birds going up within the next several months.

As it is currently used the HD PPV is a complete waste of bandwidth. I also ordered Seabiscuit and really enjoyed watching it in HD.

In the last 6 months or so I haven't seen a single item on that channel that warrented even pressing the info button. :rolleyes:

cabledave said:
As it is currently used the HD PPV is a complete waste of bandwidth. I also ordered Seabiscuit and really enjoyed watching it in HD.

In the last 6 months or so I haven't seen a single item on that channel that warrented even pressing the info button. :rolleyes:

I don't see how this can be a money maker for them. For $5.99 I can rent three DVD's, or for only a few bucks more, buy one.

NightRyder

I would be all over HD-PPV of movies to see them in HD! That is...IF they would show anything on the ONE channel. Heck...just have a different movie each week night would be an improvement over only 1 or 2 playing over and over and over, w/ a few IMAX movies thrown in. It isnt that they need multiple channels...just make decent use of the one they ALREADY HAVE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts