What's the point of a Triple Crown?

I know, I was disappointed too. But imagine having just 20 bucks on the horse that won at 38-1.

Reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

"What are the odds on Santa's Little Helper?

99 to 1
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]WOW 99 times 13 equals Merry Christmas.[/FONT]"​

Did YOU bet on him?

At least this horse isn't going to die.

He was still walking, so this won't be another Eight Beles/Barbaro situation,

And I heard he isn't hurt, so we won't have another disaster.

BTW, the idea of the jockey slowing down to prevent an injury makes me wonder:

1. If anyone bet on Da' Tara, talk about finding a needle in a haystack.

2. At least PETA won't go crazy, since the horse isn't going to have an injury

At least this horse isn't going to die.

He was still walking, so this won't be another Eight Beles/Barbaro situation,

And I heard he isn't hurt, so we won't have another disaster.

BTW, the idea of the jockey slowing down to prevent an injury makes me wonder:

1. If anyone bet on Da' Tara, talk about finding a needle in a haystack.

2. At least PETA won't go crazy, since the horse isn't going to have an injury

One other silver lining: We don't have to listen to the media stupidity (Around the Horn, PTI, etc.) of a conspiracy theory had Big Brown won. The media was speculating all week that horse racing would gain in popularity again.......if Big Brown won.

the difference between the cubs and the triple crown, is the triple crown has actually happened during some people's lifetimes

Because it is exciting when ahorse does win it or when a baseball player wins that one. the fact that it seldom happens actualllymakes it more interetsing to discuss and will make it that much more special when it does happen.

Last edited:
Because it si exciting when ahorse does win it or whena baseball player wins that one. the fact that it seldom happens actuall makes it more intereting to discuss and will amke it that much more special when it does happen.

tequila.gif

;)

Here is how you win the Triple Crown:

YouTube - Secretariat Belmont Stakes 73' & extended post race coverage

Never be another one like Big Red. :up
Absolutely true, after what breeders have been doing with the horses the last few decades. In an earlier thread I stated that Big Brown, while by far the best horse racing today, was not the equal of Secretariat. The YouTube videos you gave a link to (thanks!) show clearly that, while their bodies were similarly shaped, Big Brown's legs are noticeably skinnier (= weaker) than Secretariat's.

Despite what happened Saturday, I still believe Big Brown is the best horse racing today. I have to believe that there is something wrong with him that they haven't discovered yet. Or maybe the cracked hoof was bothering him. They say a cracked hoof to a horse is like a broken fingernail to a human. I know broken nails aren't serious, but they sure do distract a person.

The Belmont YouTube video links to the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness that year and I watched all three. The video quality wasn't great on YouTube. I wonder what the original medium was for those shows. Unfortunately, it may have been early video technology. But in 1973 there is still a possibility that it was on film. That would sure be nice. I would dearly love to have those three races in HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)