What's up with Dish's guide?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
This has happened several times over the past few weeks, the guide suddenly losses it's data. Last week I had set a timer for a 2 hour show by highlighting the show in the guide and hitting OK. I happened to be in the room when the timer was supposed to trip but the receiver did not come on. I manually turned it on, hit the guide button and lo and behold the guide now indicated that the 2 hour show I had set the timer for was now, according to the guide, a 4 hour show followed by numerous "No data" boxes. That change, from 2 to 4, had eliminated the timer. I manually hit the Record button and recorded 4 hours. When I viewed the show it was only 2 hours long with a completely different show filling the next 2 hours.

Last evening I was viewing the guide when everything suddenly changed to "No data" (while I was viewing it) and I had to force a guide download. These are Dish channels, not OTA. This kind of behavior has happened at least 4 or 5 times in the past couple of weeks. What's going on? Anybody else experiencing this kind of guide behavior? The receiver is a model VIP211K.

This has happened several times over the past few weeks, the guide suddenly losses it's data. Last week I had set a timer for a 2 hour show by highlighting the show in the guide and hitting OK. I happened to be in the room when the timer was supposed to trip but the receiver did not come on. I manually turned it on, hit the guide button and lo and behold the guide now indicated that the 2 hour show I had set the timer for was now, according to the guide, a 4 hour show followed by numerous "No data" boxes. That change, from 2 to 4, had eliminated the timer. I manually hit the Record button and recorded 4 hours. When I viewed the show it was only 2 hours long with a completely different show filling the next 2 hours.

Last evening I was viewing the guide when everything suddenly changed to "No data" (while I was viewing it) and I had to force a guide download. These are Dish channels, not OTA. This kind of behavior has happened at least 4 or 5 times in the past couple of weeks. What's going on? Anybody else experiencing this kind of guide behavior? The receiver is a model VIP211K.

If the guide is downloading correctly and you literally mean it loses the info that is a sign of a failing hard drive. If the guide isn't downloading overnight that is a sign you are not getting a signal from the satellite it comes from.

No hard drive attached? (Where I believe the extended guide would be) Then it sounds like the other possibility you aren't getting the download correctly. Do a check switch and see if you are seeing all the satellites correctly.

No, the extended guide does not require an external hard drive. The 211K does not have the capability to attach one anyway. Re-read what I posted. The guide data (3 days of it) was already there and disappeared while I was looking at it. One second I have three days of guide date and the next second everything changed to "No data", in the blink of an eye. I suspect an internal memory problem but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this sort of guide issue.

The guide data (3 days of it) was already there and disappeared while I was looking at it.

I've seen this on more than one occasion after a signal loss on my 612. If it thinks the guide is stale, it will do that. I think.

The 211k can be become a DVR with 8 day guide by attaching an external USB drive and paying dish a one time $40activation. Been using both of my 211k's this way for years.
Yeah, forgot about that USB port that needs to be activated to use. The 211K beens running fine for almost three years.
Will it attempt to redownload after a CST???
It downloads fine, it just manages to lose the data occassionally.

No, the extended guide does not require an external hard drive. The 211K does not have the capability to attach one anyway. Re-read what I posted. The guide data (3 days of it) was already there and disappeared while I was looking at it. One second I have three days of guide date and the next second everything changed to "No data", in the blink of an eye. I suspect an internal memory problem but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this sort of guide issue.

Ya it does have that capability, and yes the extended guide DOES require the hard drive, and no you didn't say it was a three hour guide in the op.
Try a check switch and be sure you are seeing all the satellites correctly and don't forget the little things like making sure the connections are good at the receiver and if you can see them at the dish itself. Check for any possible obstructions that may now be present or could be from time to time like a tree branch.
After that probably the best way to really know where the problem is, get a replacement receiver if it does the same thing something else is wrong.

Ya it does have that capability, and yes the extended guide DOES require the hard drive, and no you didn't say it was a three hour guide in the op.
Try a check switch and be sure you are seeing all the satellites correctly and don't forget the little things like making sure the connections are good at the receiver and if you can see them at the dish itself. Check for any possible obstructions that may now be present or could be from time to time like a tree branch.
After that probably the best way to really know where the problem is, get a replacement receiver if it does the same thing something else is wrong.
To reiterate:

Last evening I was viewing the guide when everything suddenly changed to "No data" (while I was viewing it) and I had to force a guide download.
and this:

The guide data (3 days of it) was already there and disappeared while I was looking at it.
I'm having a problem understanding how any of your suggestions would cause the data to disappear while I'm looking at it. This isn't a download problem, it's a retention problem.

I guess you're saying you won't try any of what I suggested, no one is forcing you to.

I guess you're saying you won't try any of what I suggested, no one is forcing you to.
You seem to have great difficulty in understanding and addressing the actual problem of data disappearing after it's been downloaded and for some unknown reason are hung up on the download itself so, since you're not offering any useful answers, let's call it a day.

Your problem is local to your house - no one else appears to be having it.

So...on to troubleshooting:
1) reset the box
2) verify no problems between box & dish or between dish & satellite

...all suggested by others & rejected by you.

Next step, replace the box. What in the world other help are you looking for?

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41
You seem to have great difficulty in understanding and addressing the actual problem of data disappearing after it's been downloaded and for some unknown reason are hung up on the download itself so, since you're not offering any useful answers, let's call it a day.
Go back and read post #13 and follow that advice. That is all the help anyone here can offer. We can't repair your 211.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)