WHDH Channel 7 Boston refusing to air Jay Leno at 10pm.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out... NBC threatening to remove the network from the station. If they station wins this, I wonder how many other networks will follow. One of the things I like about CST is that prime time runs from 7pm to 10pm, not 8pm to 11pm. I do not like it when I am in EST or PST and the shows go so late. This is probably why people like the 10pm news so much.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out... NBC threatening to remove the network from the station. If they station wins this, I wonder how many other networks will follow. One of the things I like about CST is that prime time runs from 7pm to 10pm, not 8pm to 11pm. I do not like it when I am in EST or PST and the shows go so late. This is probably why people like the 10pm news so much.

Totally agree on that. Even with a DVR I still love the 7-10 block instead of 8-11.

Do all networks start Leno at the 11:35 time slot now? How about Letterman? I thought it started at 12:05 in some markets.

I am still irked that due to their "cost savings"of wiping out 1/3 of their prime-time shows, it is likely that Chuck will get the axe. Grrrr....

I suspect that the Boston affiliate is contractually obliged to show Leno though, and am not sure, unless there was a mass revolt of stations, how they would win that battle.

The Boston station may have more leverage than the San Fransisco station did. The crowded NE does not have a lot of channels available for new full power stations. It would be harder for NBC to acquire a station in Boston to take over the market and revoke WHDH's franchise.

Boston has no lack of full power stations:

WGBH TV 2 (DT-19) Boston, MA PBS
WBZ TV 4 (DT-30) Boston, MA CBS
WCVB TV 5 (DT-20) Boston, MA ABC
WHDH TV 7 (DT-42 ---moving to 7 after switch) Boston, MA NBC
WMUR TV 9 (DT-59 -- moving to 9 after switch) Manchester, NH ABC
WENH TV 11 (DT-57 -- moving to 11 after switch) Durham, NH PBS-NHPT
WFXT TV 25 (DT-31) Boston, MA FOX
WUNI TV 27 (DT-29) Worcester, MA Univision
WSBK TV 38 (DT-39) Boston, MA Ind.
WGBX TV 44 (DT-43) Boston, MA PBS
WWDP TV 46 (DT-52 -- Moving to 10 after switch?) Norwell, MA (ShopNBC)
WYDN TV 48 (DT-47) Worcerster, MA DayStar
WZMY TV 50 (DT-35 -- may have already switched over to digital only) Derry, NH MyTV
WEKW TV 52 (DT-49) Keene, NH PBS-NHPT
WLVI TV 56 (DT-41) Cambridge, MA CW
WNEU TV 60 (DT-34) Merrimack, NH Telemundo
WMFP TV 62 (DT-18 -- May have already switched to digital only) Lawrence, MA (Shopping/Infomercial)
WUTF TV 66 (DT-23 -- may be moving to 27 after switch) Marlborough, MA TeleFutura
WBPX TV 68 (DT 32) Boston, MA ION

There are plenty of stations here that can take the NBC affiliation and, even with the #4 network, still easily quadruple their ratings overnight.

Remember that NBC removed their affiliation from a metro area station in San Francisco and gave it to a station in San Jose! This is a station that couldn't even provide a signal to the northern metro SF area! So it would not be unheard of for NBC to make a deal with the Manchester NH station! (I know it's owned by the Boston ABC affiliate).

See ya
Tony
See ya
Tony

Hearst-Argyle wouldn't let go of WNNE for anything.

And NBC actually owns WNEU and part of WWDP (37%). The catch is that ZGS Communications (Telemundo affiliate operators) run WNEU, so any potential plot to move NBC that high (which would be a huge hurt for everyone!) could anger ZGS badly.

Maybe WHDH just wants to pull a KOVR and run their schedule an hour earlier. (That'd be interesting.) KOVR is owned by CBS and yet it continues to do what it does.

What was even better was when I got CBSHD East and West... had many options then, plus Primetime started at 6 pm local time...

When I first moved to Colorado, the Cheyenne station carried both CBS and NBC. They would start prime time at 6 and run till 11, pulling shows from the east coast, west coast and relayed Denver feeds. They didn't have equipment to do time delay. That with the Denver feeds made a VCR unnecessary.

What was even better was when I got CBSHD East and West... had many options then, plus Primetime started at 6 pm local time...

Yeah I was so pissed when they took my West LA channels away from me.

Leno to Air on WHDH After Station Relents

By Josef Adalain
NBC has successfully knocked down a rebellion in its affiliate colonies, with Boston's WHDH Monday announcing it would carry Jay Leno's 10 p.m. comedy show after earlier threatening not to.
“Upon further consideration, we have decided to telecast Jay Leno at 10 p.m. starting in September," said Ed Ansin, owner of Sunbeam Television, parent company of NBC's Boston affiliate. "Jay is from Andover where I went to school. I enjoy his humor. We hope the new show is a big success.”

Source & More: tvweek.com

I just found a video in my collection when WHDH did a Cheers Special and Jay was part of it. . At the end they all came out to the live Cameras drunk. It was funny. I don't believe Jay drinks so he was about the only one that walked out sober. I will post that video later. Here is one that I have already when WSBK in Boston did the salute.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-lN7z6C01E"]YouTube - WSBK TV-38 Boston Cheers Salute Dana Hersey[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)