When 622's Go Bad - A Tale Of Persistant Rebooting

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
So the wife and I sat down to watch MadTV last night at 11pm. I wanted to put the captions on, so we went and turned them on via the 622's menu. Then we went to change the caption styles so they were like the ones we have on our bedroom 942. As we're going to exit out of the menus, the remote freezes up and the receiver reboots. No biggie. That has happened before on the 942 as well.

Except it kept rebooting. And rebooting. And rebooting again. This went on for 20 minutes.

So I called Dish Tech Support. Waited on hold for 50 minutes. In the meantime I did a hard reset from the receiver power button. It'd reboot, flash its lights, go through acquiring signal and then, once it had hit "5 of 5", it'd reboot again. Twice during this sequence it'd show me a brief glimpse of the picture on the screen and then reboot immediately.

So I did the hard reset. I did the "unplug the receiver from the wall and hold the power button down for 5 seconds three times to discharge any excess electricity in the receiver" trick. Nothing. Same as before. During this time I needle the wife about breaking the receiver since she was the one using the remote at the time the receiver decided to go ka-blooie! That was fun.

Finally get through to Tech Support. Dealt with a nice gal who asked what I had done. I basically had done everything she was going to ask me to do except for two things. She had me unplug the satellite from the receiver. That at least changed the satellite and transponder it was searching for. It was on sat 110 trans 22. This moved it to sat 119 trans 1. But after the next reboot it went right back to the 110 and 22.

She then had me take it out of the surge protector that it was plugged into and plug it directly into the wall socket. Same thing... boot up, acquire signal, go black, reboot. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, after trying every trick in the book they set up an RMA for me. I'll have my new receiver on Wednesday. Ships on Monday with 2 day shipping.

Now that's a quality build. :) Had the receiver for less than one month and it already went boom. I'd mention the software version on the receiver, but I can't get to the menu screen, either via the remote of the control panel.

EvilEuro said:
Had the receiver for less than one month and it already went boom. I'd mention the software version on the receiver, but I can't get to the menu screen, either via the remote of the control panel.

Do you have the receiver in some sort of entertainment center?

Do you have another piece of equipment on top of it?

I got my 622 in Feb set it in the rack where the 942 was. Same setup.

All worked well until about a week ago when it got warm here.

Machine was rebooting a couple of times a day. I removed the component from the top of the 622 and I haven't had a reboot or a problem with a recording in over 5 days.

The heat being held in the unit from the component on top was overheating the unit and causing some weirdness.

Sam

EvilEuro said:
So the wife and I sat down to watch MadTV last night at 11pm. I wanted to put the captions on, so we went and turned them on via the 622's menu. Then we went to change the caption styles so they were like the ones we have on our bedroom 942. As we're going to exit out of the menus, the remote freezes up and the receiver reboots. No biggie. That has happened before on the 942 as well.

Except it kept rebooting. And rebooting. And rebooting again. This went on for 20 minutes.

So I called Dish Tech Support. Waited on hold for 50 minutes. In the meantime I did a hard reset from the receiver power button. It'd reboot, flash its lights, go through acquiring signal and then, once it had hit "5 of 5", it'd reboot again. Twice during this sequence it'd show me a brief glimpse of the picture on the screen and then reboot immediately.

So I did the hard reset. I did the "unplug the receiver from the wall and hold the power button down for 5 seconds three times to discharge any excess electricity in the receiver" trick. Nothing. Same as before. During this time I needle the wife about breaking the receiver since she was the one using the remote at the time the receiver decided to go ka-blooie! That was fun.

Finally get through to Tech Support. Dealt with a nice gal who asked what I had done. I basically had done everything she was going to ask me to do except for two things. She had me unplug the satellite from the receiver. That at least changed the satellite and transponder it was searching for. It was on sat 110 trans 22. This moved it to sat 119 trans 1. But after the next reboot it went right back to the 110 and 22.

She then had me take it out of the surge protector that it was plugged into and plug it directly into the wall socket. Same thing... boot up, acquire signal, go black, reboot. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, after trying every trick in the book they set up an RMA for me. I'll have my new receiver on Wednesday. Ships on Monday with 2 day shipping.

Now that's a quality build. :) Had the receiver for less than one month and it already went boom. I'd mention the software version on the receiver, but I can't get to the menu screen, either via the remote of the control panel.

I know this story.....Been there, done that and I got the T-SHIRT...!!

This is almost exactly like my 622 dying story - except it would force a switch test upon reboot (which always was reported as 'failed')- and get stuck on a remote address problem - but it wouldnt go any further without reboot...Basically 100% unuseable receiver until replaced....

That's nothing, here is my 622 story. 1st unit gets the SBSOD syndrome after L356 update. Call E* and they send me a new unit. When I go to switch out the unit I hook everything up and plug it in. After 30 minutes of nothing but the harddrive noise I call E*. I spent 1 hour getting passed around and cut off completely by the CSR's. Dring this time the unit finally comes to life but the immediately crashes in the aquiring satelite screen. Hard reboot and it comes back up long enough to do the Test Switch, ahh, progress. Now I get the unite is inactive screen but since I am still on hold waiting for a tech, I figure I am good. Nope, it SBSOD again. Anothe hard reboot and I get back to the need to activate screen and am still waithing and it does it again. Finally, after 55 minutes af the CSR pass around, I get to a Tech Support guy. Tell him all my problems, plus my frustration at the pass around, and we spend the next 30 minutes or so getting the unit up and running. At 2 hours into the receiver swap I get off the phone with the Tech and it looks like all is well. Turn off the TV and get ready for bed. 15 Minutes later I go to the bedroom and turn on the set there (TV2) and get a black screen. Go back down stairs and the unit is now sitting there with the harddrive whirring away. I said pi** on it and left it, it was still whirring away 7 hours later when I got up. Tried 2 reboots but it never did come back to life. I cannot wait to get home and do the CSR dance all over :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts