When are the Ham radio and Scanner forums going to launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
It was announced about a month ago that a ham radio and scanner forums was going to be added to the site. Just wondering if there was any update as to when they'll launch?

Bob

I agree Bob just put them up us HAMS and SCANNER Hobbyists will fill it up with good stuff. :D

Besides Bob folks like satellite stuff just think how exciting it is to work the Space Station or the Shuttle if they got their ticket. BTW Bob I worked Israel on 17 meters this weekend.
Bob N1WBD
General Class Ham. :D

Hey Bob BTW you and I could volunteer to be moderators for the Ham Forum, I'm not a scanner hobbyist myself. :)

Yea I was kind of wondering about this too.

Scott we have enough hams here at Satguys. Can't you put it up on trial basis? We hams have a history for the most part of being self policeing. :) Heck just ask the FCC. :)

Its on hold for now. The person who wanted to help run it has disappeared...

Scott if you need a mod per se to run it I dont have an issue being the mod assigned to it. :)

Most of us mods handle the whole site anyways if there are issues :)

I agree Bob just put them up us HAMS and SCANNER Hobbyists will fill it up with good stuff. :D

Besides Bob folks like satellite stuff just think how exciting it is to work the Space Station or the Shuttle if they got their ticket. BTW Bob I worked Israel on 17 meters this weekend.
Bob N1WBD
General Class Ham. :D

Hey Bob BTW you and I could volunteer to be moderators for the Ham Forum, I'm not a scanner hobbyist myself. :)

Its on hold for now. The person who wanted to help run it has disappeared...

Scott, If the staff so graciously decides that I'm once again worthy, I'll volunteer help run things things in those forums. If not I understand why. Anyhow, there are plenty of people here who would love these forums so why wait in the mean time! Infact we could do alot, from Echolink to getting new hams involved with what to purchase (rigs) and what type of antennas. Everything from the Arrl to even maybe starting a satguys ham radio club.

Scott if you need a mod per se to run it I dont have an issue being the mod assigned to it. :)

Most of us mods handle the whole site anyways if there are issues :)

Ice, Are you a ham radio op? If so what's your call sign? Mine Is Kilo Niner Sierra Alpha Tango (K9SAT) I think for the ham radio forum's the mods should have a callsign, (right of passage of going through the testing process) After all how are you going to tell a guy he's wrong about Digipeating and the messaging processes if you don't know what its about. There is alot to learn in this area as Ham radio is very very diverse, much more that Free to Air!

Ice, Are you a ham radio op?
no I am not. Never have been

After all how are you going to tell a guy he's wrong about Digipeating and the messaging processes if you don't know what its about. There is alot to learn in this area as Ham radio is very very diverse, much more that Free to Air!
um, lets see Bob.

Scott wants to have it as a ham and scanner forum. Last I checked I have a few police scanners in my house so hmm I guess that qualifies ;)
2nd...we tried this before (a ham forum) and there was very little traffic so Scott got rid of it. Will it work this time? Who knows but unless a bunch of folks here all of a sudden became hams there still wont be a lot of traffic.
3rd...gee I didnt know I HAD to know about ham radio to be a mod. Don't know what the hell the last part of your post (the jab at FTA) is for. Most staff here don't need to say "oh so and so is right". Its more of making sure there is no flaming on posts, combine threads etc. Most staff crosses the whole site. Other mods go and take care of reported posts in the FTA area if I'm not around. :)

Well I am not a ham, but been listening to scanners since I got my first Pro-34

I've got a couple old crystal controlled ones from the Rat Shack days along with one of the newer ones :)

Pro-34....that one sounds like one I sold back when I worked for Rat Shack. Always wanted the "mac daddy" one...pro 2006 :)

..%5Cimages%5Cpro2006.gif

I've got a couple old crystal controlled ones from the Rat Shack days along with one of the newer ones :)

Pro-34....that one sounds like one I sold back when I worked for Rat Shack. Always wanted the "mac daddy" one...pro 2006 :)

I had both 2005 and 2006 for many years. Did the 25,000 channel mod on the 2006 and never really filled in the frequencies that high so the mod was useless hehe.

Also had the LED/SPEED/Full 800Mhz/ mods to it. Was my best analog scanner for sure.

I've had the following in the past 20yrs.

Pro-34,37,39,43,51,64
Pro-2004,2005,2006
Pro-83,92,93,94,95,96

Currently use the Following.

Pro-96
Pro-106
BCD396T
BCD396XT

Too bad most of my scanners are outdated for even my local area. They went about a year ago to the trunking system instead of the old VHF Hi band....but fire is still on the same frequency :)

Maybe the old scanners can go to the cabin where VHF Hi is still used ;)

Too bad most of my scanners are outdated for even my local area. They went about a year ago to the trunking system instead of the old VHF Hi band....but fire is still on the same frequency :)

Maybe the old scanners can go to the cabin where VHF Hi is still used ;)

Yeap that is why I only have Truck / Apco 25 capable models in use. Here in L.A its a must to have Digital Scanners for LAPD listening.

I pulled my old 16 channel mobile (PRO-2035) out of the closet the other day. That was a classic.

no I am not. Never have been

um, lets see Bob.

Scott wants to have it as a ham and scanner forum. Last I checked I have a few police scanners in my house so hmm I guess that qualifies ;)
2nd...we tried this before (a ham forum) and there was very little traffic so Scott got rid of it. Will it work this time? Who knows but unless a bunch of folks here all of a sudden became hams there still wont be a lot of traffic.
3rd...gee I didnt know I HAD to know about ham radio to be a mod. Don't know what the hell the last part of your post (the jab at FTA) is for. Most staff here don't need to say "oh so and so is right". Its more of making sure there is no flaming on posts, combine threads etc. Most staff crosses the whole site. Other mods go and take care of reported posts in the FTA area if I'm not around. :)

Wow, talk about attitude there ice!

It was my understanding that the ham radio and scanner forums were two separate forums! :cool:

I dont certainty ever remember there being a ham radio forum here in the past five years that I have been here! Looking at this thread obviously there are requests for it. So why not give it another shot if indeed there was one before!

I only suggested that the moderator of the ham radio forum be one for common ground as there is alot to ham radio. Ice, please dont let your personal convictions take place of a good topic. After all If I suggest anything your jumping down my throat. And if thats the way you are acting towards me, I can only imagine why no one would want to be in our ham radio forum. Especially if you know nothing about the topic. Who are you to say what goes on in the ham radio forum, It has yet to be decided what goes on in there and not only that, I dont see anyone telling you how to run your area of this site! So why should you do the same to others. Its very hypocritical!

Also, I wasn't making a jab about Free to air, its a known fact that there is much more to ham radio than free to air, but then again you dont know because you dont have your ticket (aka callsign) So please, dont take it as a jab as its not. I know that you dont know because you wouldn't of said what you said if you knew.

I want the best for all of our satguy hams thats out there and if thats too much for you, im sorry I dont know what to say. How about this, Why not let me run with it and Ill teach you everything you need to know from foxhunting to Dxing! Hell we might even find common ground. I dont know of any other hobby where you can littarlly bounce signals off of the moon to talk to someone halfway across the world (and you dont even need to do that)

You could learn alot and realize there is much more to learn as ham radio is a very good hobby (up there with FTA) :up So chilax. Having a ticket for the ham radio moderators is a good thing, in fact every major ham radio site requires it! If you dont have your ticket they wont give you the time of the day because with your licence that the FCC gives you, it comes with special privileges! You have no idea what those privelages are until you earn them via your licence category.

So lets get that Signal to Noise ratio down a bit and learn about how fun it is to go on a foxhunt or what its like to get that first contact. Feild day is coming up, I invite you to go to your local ham radio club and learn what its all about. They should have a gota station up (get on the air) No license is required for it, as long as there is a license ham around. Once you make that first contact your hooked for life!

"73" - And good luck on any future contacts QSL!

I'm saving up for one of the new digital trunking scanners. Everything here is moving to digital so they are becoming more economical. The only problem is that Radio shack cant seem to get that, so I had to order mine online. I think im going to end up going with a bearcat. They have some nice scanners around the 500 dollar price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts