When can we expect Dish to jump on the 3D bandwagon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Then watch the 2D version if you do not like the glasses or get headaches, eye fatigue or cannot see 3D as some cannot for one reason or another, but let those of us that can and enjoy 3D have some channels with Dish...

As far as my opposition on Dish is concerned, it is all an issue of bandwidth. When they can offer all channels in HD (including regional RSNs, etc.) then I have no issue with them adding 3D channels. But otherwise, it does infringe on what I consider important as a consumer.

Apart from Dish, there are not always 2D showings of movies I want to see--or they are hard to find. The theaters basically force you to pony up an extra few dollars for something you don't want (and takes away from some people's enjoyment) in order to see a movie you want to see. I resent that. I may want to see Avatar, but why are you forcing me to watch it in 3D? I see people online who like 3D and defend it, but almost everyone I talk to IRL either hates it or is indifferent to it. I think it will remain a small niche.

lol... This week or next, I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life. The colorized version. Processed through the TV's 3D simulator.

Should be a grand experience.

Nope, it was a dud.

As pointed out by others in this thread, including the fanboys, the industry is investing heavily in 3D technology, with presumably an intent to saturate the market with 3DTV sets. If this is true, and there is evidence of it already, at some point most if not all of the newer and more higher end models will be 3D capable. For consumers that don't want/can't use/don't care about the technology, they will be relegated to a choice of purchasing older or lower end models, or pony up the money to purchase a set that has it. Similar to the complaint that non-sports fans have to subsidize the higher price of sports programming in satellite/cable programming packages, the consumer who won't be using 3D technology will still be paying for the technology if they have no real alternative.
Actually, it was right on point. And, as others have pointed out, the price diff for 3D technology in the display is minimal. (The glasses are the big ticket for consumers, and can be skipped, if they don't want to enjoy the technology.)

I haven't really seen any fanboys in this thread, btw. Those who are requesting 3D programming have been pretty reasonable, and have only requested a moderate amount. The only fanboy-type postings I've seen have been from the oddly extreme anti-3D posters.

David Taylor said:
Apart from Dish, there are not always 2D showings of movies I want to see--or they are hard to find. The theaters basically force you to pony up an extra few dollars for something you don't want (and takes away from some people's enjoyment) in order to see a movie you want to see. I resent that. I may want to see Avatar, but why are you forcing me to watch it in 3D? I see people online who like 3D and defend it, but almost everyone I talk to IRL either hates it or is indifferent to it. I think it will remain a small niche.

I'm sorry, but what theaters are you going to? Every theater around here shows the 2D version of any 3D movie they are showing. It's true that they have separate schedules, but going to a theater to watch a movie has always required seeing the movie based on the theater's schedule, so nothing has changed on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

As far as my opposition on Dish is concerned, it is all an issue of bandwidth. When they can offer all channels in HD (including regional RSNs, etc.) then I have no issue with them adding 3D channels. But otherwise, it does infringe on what I consider important as a consumer.

There will always be HD channel adds that many people won't watch and don't want. That the way it goes. Why concentrate the hate on this one?

I never watch the gay, black, hispanic, college sport, and some other HD channels. But, I don't spend my time preaching against the addition of such channels because I understand there are those who do want to watch those channels. There is an audience for them, just as there is an audience for 3DTV programming.

Where do you live that you were forced to see a theatrical movie in 3D? Where I live, every 3D movie release is also shown in 2D usually at the same theater.

Also, what Dish receiver do you have where you don't have the 2D version available of a 3D movie you want to see? If it is a 3D title like Captain America, for instance, it will play in 2D, if you wish or if you don't have the necessary HW.

I haven't really seen any fanboys in this thread, btw. Those who are requesting 3D programming have been pretty reasonable, and have only requested a moderate amount.

I agree 100% even though I prefer Dish not put resources into it at this time. Certainly though no is asking for the Moon.

There will always be HD channel adds that many people won't watch and don't want. That the way it goes. Why concentrate the hate on this one?

I never watch the gay, black, hispanic, college sport, and some other HD channels. But, I don't spend my time preaching against the addition of such channels because I understand there are those who do want to watch those channels. There is an audience for them, just as there is an audience for 3DTV programming.

Where do you live that you were forced to see a theatrical movie in 3D? Where I live, every 3D movie release is also shown in 2D usually at the same theater.

Also, what Dish receiver do you have where you don't have the 2D version available of a 3D movie you want to see? If it is a 3D title like Captain America, for instance, it will play in 2D, if you wish or if you don't have the necessary HW.

Well said Gary! I really don't understand all the bashing either.:confused: Reminds me of trying to explain to friends and family why I wanted HD programming back in the day.........,:rolleyes: JEEZUZ, the folks with Dish that want to enjoy 3D programming once in awhile are asking for maybe one channel devoted to it (3Net would be great!). How many other HD channels are availble??? If you don't want 3D fine, don't watch it. Simple.

Ed

Hubble comes on this week on 3net, if it wasn't for all the other channels I love with Dish and the archiving system Directv has I would so just stay with them...

Yeah, 3Net has a bunch of programming I'd like to see.:mad: I really like Dish's equipment better and for me their service has been really good the last couple of years but I'm really tempted to jump ship sometimes just because of this.

Ed

lol... This week or next, I plan on watching It's a Wonderful Life. The colorized version. Processed through the TV's 3D simulator.

Should be a grand experience.

Maaarrrryyyy!!!! Zuzu petals!! Zuzu petals!! Merry Christmas Mr. Potter!!

Should be great in 3-D.;)

Located in Fukishima, Japan, right next to that damaged nuclear power plants , in the earthquake zone.

I'll pass thank you very much.;)

They are probably manufactured in Singapore, Mexico or India, just like everybody else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)