When did MLB playoff scheduling start this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
The Red Sox/Angels series sounds like it's an NBA series.

Wednesday/Friday/Sunday/Monday/Wednesday? My goodness.

Changes pitching rotations, if nothing else.

Sandra

This started a couple years ago when they went to regional instead of showing all the games.

I never liked this about the playoffs. Of course it's done to accommodate TV. But the teams play 162 games over 6 months, making pitching depth a major part of a winning teams success, then we get to the playoffs, and they toss out the #4 and #5 starters. If you're going to let teams get by with just 3 starters, why not shorten the rosters, too? The Twins of '87 were largely benefited by this too. This years beneficiaries could be the Dodgers.

Last edited:
This format allowed the Rockies in 2007 to have an eight day layoff between their sweep of the D-Backs and the start of the World Series. In this case, there was rust because of the rest, and of course the Sox were on a roll... ;)

What moron thinks it's a good idea to have the Phillies and Brewers play at 3:00pm EST on Wednesday! It's not like they are competing with another sport during the week. Start at least at 7:05pm so the masses can watch.

What moron thinks it's a good idea to have the Phillies and Brewers play at 3:00pm EST on Wednesday! It's not like they are competing with another sport during the week. Start at least at 7:05pm so the masses can watch.
That would be Bud Selig.

Playoff itinerary takes new turns in '07 | MLB.com: News

Fans were complaining about games happening at the same time and days off gives more flexibility for rainouts...

I think some people like it because of the start times. They were a lot of complaints of the games starting too late. Now the afternoon games start at 3pm instead of 1 pm which I don't like but the games don't start as late. I've noticed a lot of 7:07 games instead of the FOX 8:30 games. I just think the TBS start times are a little better. I think they should what the NBA used to do. When it's a 5 game series , 2-2-1, and in a 7 game series, 2-3-2, and that's it. So in other words, if a 5 game series started on a Monday, it would go Mon., Tues., off day Wed. and then Thurs., Fri. and then off Sat. and a potential game 5 on Sun. You would follow that formula for a 7 game series as well.
None of this, start a series on Tues. then have a day off, Game 2 on Thurs., game 3 on Fri., two off days and then game 4 on Mon. It might not go exactly like that but you get the point. It's too damn confusing, kind of like this rambling reply. Sorry.

I think it is far better to have all the games on separately instead of the overlapping that they did when they first added the division series.

I think some people like it because of the start times. They were a lot of complaints of the games starting too late. Now the afternoon games start at 3pm instead of 1 pm which I don't like but the games don't start as late. I've noticed a lot of 7:07 games instead of the FOX 8:30 games. I just think the TBS start times are a little better. I think they should what the NBA used to do. When it's a 5 game series , 2-2-1, and in a 7 game series, 2-3-2, and that's it. So in other words, if a 5 game series started on a Monday, it would go Mon., Tues., off day Wed. and then Thurs., Fri. and then off Sat. and a potential game 5 on Sun. You would follow that formula for a 7 game series as well.
None of this, start a series on Tues. then have a day off, Game 2 on Thurs., game 3 on Fri., two off days and then game 4 on Mon. It might not go exactly like that but you get the point. It's too damn confusing, kind of like this rambling reply. Sorry.

You can't be serious, the NBA goes one for weeks to play a 7 games series, like 17 days.

Jimbo

I just like the 2-2-1 system and the 2-3-2 better. I didn't know there was a big difference between the NBA (17 days) and the MLB (I guess a week). I didn't know the NBA was that long.

I think it is far better to have all the games on separately instead of the overlapping that they did when they first added the division series.

Fine, don't overlap, but don't have anything start before 7:00pm EST. Have the NL games one night and the AL games another night.

Back in the day, WS games started at 1:30 p. (3:30 for West Coast games) If anyone wanted to follow the games, they had access to radios and/or TV's. The ratings were good. Sure ,there was less work at the office and more kids not paying attention in school. The nationwide following was strong, no matter who was playing. The best part was no one lost any sleep and none of the games started so late that kids couldn't watch. I know those days are gone forever. IMHO something is missing from our national culture, something we'll never see the likes of again. Say what you want about the advantages of night games but having the Cubs and Dodgers play late into the night at Wrigley Field is almost sacrilegious.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts