When Did Sportscenter Jump The Shark?

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
A few years ago I would watch Sportscenter at least once, most of the time twice per day. Then, slowly Sportscenter started to become more about the Sportscasters and their signature quips than the sports themselves. The jokes, gags and editorial comments turned me off and I lost interest.

After the launch of the Big Ten Network last fall and the ramping up of HD content on my local FSN I realized last night that I hadn't watched a single episode of Sportscenter in weeks. So I tuned in to Sportscenter last night just in time to hear one of the talking heads say something like, "we have a winner, chicken dinner."

*click* I changed the channel.

When Karie Ross and Charley Steiner left the 4pm PT edition of the show circa 1986 or so. Definitely when Stuart Scott joined the channel.
Sunday show with bob Ley and Chris is the only one tolerable in the last 10 or so years.

yep, After Dan and Keith it just wasn't the same, then Stuart Scott was the one the drove me away for good.

Agreed, I dont know how fathead berman or stu-ya boo-ya have jobs. They are both hacks.

Besides the only good show on ESPN is PTI and I dont even watch it. Go figure.

I hear ya but it's weird how there ratings are higher with these guys?:confused:

It's not that ESPN is better now than in it's hey-day. It's that ESPN is more branded and publicly known now. ESPN has their name on just about everything these days including their own awards show, TV commercials, movies, magazine, website and clothing line.

It's not that ESPN is better now than in it's hey-day. It's that ESPN is more branded and publicly known now. ESPN has their name on just about everything these days including their own awards show, TV commercials, movies, magazine, website and clothing line.
Yes that's my point and when did this happen? Why do you think this change came about. There are more who like it more now then not. If sponsors did not like Espn then i am sure they would be asked to leave not given more time on the air. Kinda weird more sponsor and higher ratings after this so called bad change. Now I'm not saying i like any better then the other but still kinda weird? Where are these guys now? Didn't the go to Fox sport's net? Why are they not still there what happened? I would be interested to know this?

Also i really think it's funny when all the other guy's not even mentioned in this thread:confused::confused: try to come up with there own catch phrases? I myself have always liked guy's who have actually been in sport's telling me about sport's!

Kenny Mayne is the first one who made me roll my eyes and shut SC off. The stupid segments like fact or fiction, true or false, and that sort of thing sucked too. But the time I sat with my jaw open in astonishment was when I saw a press conference on Sportscenter...not a live one....A REENACTED Yankees (I think) press conference from I guess earlier that day! The minute I saw that I knew this show was out of credibility points.

I watched it once in maybe the last 6 months and turned it off right away. Seems like all they care about it the bouncey ball and gives hockey & baseball a few minute segment

I'd rather watch Sportscentre on TSN from Canada. They talk about the games and not themselves :)

When Kieth Olbermann and Dan Patrick left and were "replaced" by catchphrase happy hosts including Stuart "holla-at-a-playa" Scott.

I'll go you one better. It was when the producers of the show decided that Olbermann and Patrick were were bigger than the highlights they were showing, and they actually started tailoring the highlights to fit their one-liners.

First chink in the armor: Craig Kilborn.

Last straw: Stuart Scott turned me away for good. He is the worst anchor of any type of program in the history of television, and that is not hyperbole.

We quit watching Sport Center quite sometime ago.The only time that we watch ESPN anymore is for NFL,MLB and NBA games only.When we tune into any of those events on the channel,I mute the channel and turn the stereo on.The way I see it,they are still getting their "ratings points" from us when we tune in,but we choose not to listen to anything that anyone has to say on that channel anymore.

I tried doing what you did steve, but the games were always seconds ahead on the radio and it drove me crazy. Oh well, at least the Lakers broadcasting team is good enough to watch.

I am watching ESPN News more than Sportscenter, because they have to get everything in the half hour they have so no talking and crap.

I am watching ESPN News more than Sportscenter, because they have to get everything in the half hour they have so no talking and crap.

i'm enjoying it more since it went hd.

i know i've shared this before but my late mother couldn't stand stu scott when he was the weekend sports anchor in orlando. she was shocked when she learned he had gotten a job on a fledgling national sports channel.....espn2. back then, our cable company didn't get espn2 so we didn't miss anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)