When is HD LIL Requirement Date?

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I forgot, but I remember that there is a date by which satellite MVPD's must provide all HD channels in any DMA where they currently offer HD LIL's. Is it not sometime this year? Is it next year? Here in L.A., KPXN, 30, is the only local broadcasting in HD that Dish does NOT provide in HD via LIL. Instead they map the ION West to channel 30 in horrid SD, as I understand this is also the in may other cities. Just wondering how much longer we all have to wait for our remaining local HD's to be provided via LIL.

Since Direct TV does not carry it in HD either, that indicates to me that channel hasn't made their HD signal available?

Well, there are exceptions, like the channel being unwilling to reach an agreement to be carried.

But this is an ION channel. Almost all* are ION owned and operated. The best I see happening is a similar agreement where the channel is placed up nationally and remapped like the SD version is now.

*- There are some affiliates, but most are Class A or low power and are not affected by the same carriage rules. The only full power ones I know of are WBNA in Louisville and KDMD in Anchorage.

Since Direct TV does not carry it in HD either, that indicates to me that channel hasn't made their HD signal available?

Directv carries Ion in HD....Ion East is in HD and in some cases is remapped for locals. Otherwise its on 305
Here in Minneapolis our Ion (41) is in SD but the national is HD. Other than the top of the hour ID there is no difference

He (and I) were talking about his specific local ION, KPXN. Does Direct TV not broadcast any local ION in HD? If they do, then my comment is probably relevant. If Direct does not carry any local ION in HD, then not carrying KPXN wouldn't tell me anything of why Dish does not.

Does Direct TV not broadcast any local ION in HD?
yes. DIrectv has carried some Ion affiliates in HD longer than the national version.

If they do, then my comment is probably relevant. If Direct does not carry any local ION in HD, then not carrying KPXN wouldn't tell me anything of why Dish does not.
But as HDRoberts noted almost all of the Ion affiliates are O&O so its easier to put up one version and remap it. Thats what Dish and Directv (in most cases) do already. The programming is identical and so are the commercials. The only difference is the ID on the hour.

Iceberg is pretty much right: our local ION OTA is virtually identical except for about 3 hours overnight of religious programming that is NOT reflected in the Dish EPG (it shows program data for the national ION West, not for the local) while the national ION feed continues its regular programming. If Dish were to uplink the national in HD, that would be even better as I am really interested in the ION content, not our ION OTA's programming when they leave the national feed. But I was thinking that the looming HD LIL requirement might be more likely to provide us with ION in HD via satellite. Yes, we have our OTA receiving ION 30.1 in HD, but our ONE OTA tuner per Hopper is now busy with This TV, Antenna, TV, COZI TV, MeTV, and Megahertz World, plus one or two more on occasion, that can ONLY be received via OTA, my hope was the HD LIL requirement might finally give us ION in HD via satellite. Thanks for the responses so far. Please continue if any thing else to add about this.

No one here has actually answered the original poster's question-when is the HD LIL requirement date? My understanding is that date has passed-it was 02/17/13 for 100% compliance.
This was the date by which time Dish, and DirecTV, were required to carry all local HD channels in any market where they already carried at least one local HD channel (assumes they have an carriage agreement, or local channel has selected must carry). This date passed and Dish was not compliant. I've not heard of any ramifications from this (like fines). They continue to add local HD channels, however, here in the San Francisco Bay Area, they haven't added any. They could add KOFY (20), KEMO (50) and KKPX (65). Who knows when, or if, they will add these three?

No one here has actually answered the original poster's question-when is the HD LIL requirement date? My understanding is that date has passed-it was 02/17/13 for 100% compliance.
This was the date by which time Dish, and DirecTV, were required to carry all local HD channels in any market where they already carried at least one local HD channel (assumes they have an carriage agreement, or local channel has selected must carry). This date passed and Dish was not compliant. I've not heard of any ramifications from this (like fines). They continue to add local HD channels, however, here in the San Francisco Bay Area, they haven't added any. They could add KOFY (20), KEMO (50) and KKPX (65). Who knows when, or if, they will add these three?

I would guess they could "negotiate" until hell freezes over if they so chose, and be in compliance.

Dish probably got a waiver from the FCC because of satellite launch delays. Nothing has been posted about a waiver.

But, a local can also fail to provide Dish a signal. If a station does must carry, they have to deliver the signal at their own expense to the Point of Presence of the satellite company. If their OTA signal does not reach Dish's POP, then they would have to have to put in and pay for a fiber link for example. Perhaps they are delivering the SD signal and do not want to pay for extra bandwidth to send the HD signal.

If the failure to carry these local HD channels was due to not having agreements, why would they continue to add a few most every week as they've been doing? Also, since most of the channels they seem to be adding might be characterized as minor (non big four network), they've likely selected must carry. They also seem to be filling in certain markets while ignoring others. Seems pretty clear this has little, or nothing, to do with the lack of agreements and is more likely due to the need to reorganize their current satellite capacity or perhaps because they just haven't gotten around to doing all the work necessary to add the missing channels.

I forgot, but I remember that there is a date by which satellite MVPD's must provide all HD channels in any DMA where they currently offer HD LIL's.
There is no such date.

In general, there are no HD mandates at all with respect to broadcast television and in many cases, the locals are using this to keep HD channels from being imported.

Whether a channel is HD or not is negotiated on a channel by channel basis between the DMA designated station and the provider.

This begs the question: How many Dish POPs are there, and where are they? Might be a short distance for some stations, long for others?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There is no such date.

In general, there are no HD mandates at all with respect to broadcast television and in many cases, the locals are using this to keep HD channels from being imported.

Whether a channel is HD or not is negotiated on a channel by channel basis between the DMA designated station and the provider.

There can also be agreements not to be in HD. Perhaps a Big 4 station with the same owner as the minor has an agreement to get paid extra for the big 4 station and as a bargaining chip put off requiring HD on their minor channel.

Dish probably got a waiver from the FCC because of satellite launch delays. Nothing has been posted about a waiver.
DISH met their 100% coverage requirement back in December 2010 as part of the campaign to be able to do DNS (you have to prove you don't need it to get it). At that time, DIRECTV had just over 150 markets covered.

Of course as in all other situations, the requirements only spoke to SD coverage. HD coverage is not (and probably will never be) be gubmint mandated.

Of course as in all other situations, the requirements only spoke to SD coverage. HD coverage is not (and probably will never be) be gubmint mandated.

What is mandated is that if they carry one station in HD in a market they have to carry all of them in HD. The deadline was earlier this year, but Dish still has not met it.

What is mandated is that if they carry one station in HD in a market they have to carry all of them in HD. The deadline was earlier this year, but Dish still has not met it.

I think what is mandated if that they have to have that capability. But rather or not it is carried still depends on the station. What they are not supposed to be able to do is say to some small (but full power) must-carry channel "sorry, we don't have room for your HD" when they have a larger affiliate in that DMA with HD. It has no effect for carriers that elect for retransmission agreements.

And like I said, I think Dish got an extension anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)